Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar Detectors...is the Valentine 1 a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Boston Duce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mount it higher for the following reasons;

1. Keeps it away from ww wipers

2. Allows the rear antenna unobstructed view

3. Longer site line to horizon better for radar

4. Moves it away from hood and sun reflections off it -- for better laser detection

From the operating manual: except here: http://www.valentine1.com/moreinfo/p...ng_pg17-18.pdf

Even with instant on, you may have a chance due to cars being gunned before you. With laser same but much less of a chance.

Regards,
BD
Old 07-27-2005, 05:39 PM
bigape
Instructor

V1 without a thought! It works! The best $400 I've spent in keeping me outta court!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:39 PM
joolsbourne
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How about the K-40?
The car I'm getting has a front and rear. I don't know if thid is good or bad.
Should I take my Passport for the journey home????
Old 07-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

1. Keeps it away from ww wipers

* You can't mount the V1 low enough for the wipers to be a factor.

2. Allows the rear antenna unobstructed view

* There's plenty of view and signal strength with the V1 mounted low on the windshield. As a matter of fact, there is enough RF bouncing around inside your car for the V1 to alarm with it sitting in the passengers seat.

3. Longer site line to horizon better for radar

* Radar bounces off most things...trees, gaurd rails, billboards, buildings, over passes, trucks, cars, etc. This is the reason you can pick up radar energy and get an alarm from the V1 even when there isn't line of sight (LOS) to the radar itself. Ever notice how you will get an alarm when the officer is around a curve or over a hill before actually achieving LOS to the radar? Also, the difference in height between the lowest mounting to the highest mounting is ~9". Do the math...that isn't going to allow any difference in detection range given the dynamic RF environment out there.

4. Moves it away from hood and sun reflections off it -- for better laser detection

* You'll have to show me the calculations for that one. The bounce angles would depend on not only th shape of the hood, but also where the sun is. And given the variables, the bounce could favor either of the two mounting locations.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:26 PM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the detector up high it can "see" more area of the hood and road in front of the car. The radar signal is reflected off the ground and hood.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ebaker
With the detector up high it can "see" more area of the hood and road in front of the car. The radar signal is reflected off the ground and hood.
The signal strength is going to be the same between the two windshield locations.

Have you ever driven around with your detector sitting in the seat?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Rams86
Advanced

Many thanks for everyone's responses! It sounds like people are splt 50/50 for mounting the V1 high versus low. I was leaning towards low but the high mount camp seems to make a good argument as well. I'd be curious to know if the K40 is a big upgrade from the Valentine. I may be mistaken, but I believe I talked to someone with a C4S who spent nearly $3g on the purchase an installation of a K40. There can't be that big a discrepancy on perfromace can there? Thanks again! Brad, Seattle, WA
Old 07-27-2005, 11:30 PM
greyghost
Instructor

V1 is the best there is. Worth the money for sure!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:12 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

If you buy anything else besides a V-1 you will banned for life from this board
Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Robert in Potom
Intermediate

Many debates as to V1 v. Passport 8500. I have had a V1 for my P cars for many years, but just upgraded my wife's detector to a Passport 8500. Obviously, no arrows or count of hits, but I think the 8500 may have slightly earlier reception. My real concern is that Valentine technology may no longer be state of the art - using years old tests in advertising is generally a sign a lagging technology.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:12 PM
MMH
Intermediate

Hi I just installed the V1 with Blinder for laser in my '04 turbo cab. The shop installed the V1 inside the mirror (etching it in the glass) and installing the receptor the back of the car. It is awesome!!
Old 07-28-2005, 04:19 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

As posted already... If you don't mount the V1 low there is a very good chance it won't pick up the laser. The poster was correct. Lasers are aimed at either the license plate or headlight. A laser does not "spread" like, or as much as radar. If they aim at your license plate your V1 won't pick it up. How sure am I? $270 sure. Here's a great site that confirms what I just said.
http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...ts/default.asp Check out how they test, what they tested, and Roy's recommendations for mounting. Keeping it as low as possible is the answer.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:01 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
As posted already... If you don't mount the V1 low there is a very good chance it won't pick up the laser. The poster was correct. Lasers are aimed at either the license plate or headlight. A laser does not "spread" like, or as much as radar. If they aim at your license plate your V1 won't pick it up. How sure am I? $270 sure. Here's a great site that confirms what I just said.
http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...ts/default.asp Check out how they test, what they tested, and Roy's recommendations for mounting. Keeping it as low as possible is the answer.

True, but I think I'd rather have better radar protection. Once laser hits you, you're pretty much a goner anyways! I thought I remembered the Valentine manual saying that you should mount it as high as possible.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BigCarrot
True, but I think I'd rather have better radar protection.
In the 996, there is *no* difference in detector performance against radar given either the low mount or the high mount positions (there *is* a difference between the two locations when encountering laser). Remember, at a half mile out the radar beam covers a circle that's over 140 feet in diameter... and at one mile it's over 280 feet in diameter. Think about how big those numbers are. And these circles only define the actual physics of the radar beam - it's 3db defined beamwidth. In reality the radar energy is bouncing all over the place, so you don't even have to be within the beamwidth to get an alarm.

Think about this in another way. You are standing in your yard with your wife holding a water hose...she's 15 feet in front of you. She has a nozzle on the hose that produces circular pattern. This pattern is 20 feet in diameter out at 15 feet, where you're standing. In this example, your face is the "detector". She aims the hose at the center of your chest and opens up full blast - your face, the detector, is soaked - it is alarming that it is in fact wet. Now while she continues shooting, bend your knees and lower yourself to a squat. Is your face (the detector) still getting soaked? ...You bet.

Although radar produces an ever expanding pattern, just like the hose, the radar sprays electrons at the speed of light. They bounce off most things and continue on at the same speed ...in other words they are all over the place. The V1 does not require much radar energy to be detected before it alarms.

So take the officers radar at 0.5 miles and shoot it back at your car sitting parked on the road (aim the radar at the center of your car). Place the V1 on the ground in front of your car - it alarms. Now put the V1 on a pole and raise it 70 feet in the air above your parked car - it alarms. Now walk out from the side of your car and place the V1 on the ground 70 feet away - it alarms. Get the picture?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:51 PM
kirkB
Track Day

Originally Posted by MMH
Hi I just installed the V1 with Blinder for laser in my '04 turbo cab. The shop installed the V1 inside the mirror (etching it in the glass) and installing the receptor the back of the car. It is awesome!!
MMH,

Do you have any pictures or more details on this install?

I am very interested - as I also have a cab - and the thought of leaving the V1 suctioned to the windshield while parked has kept me away from the V1 - I was looking into a fully integrated K40 setup - but it is sure a lot more.

I would like to learn more about this mounting method - as I need to get a detector soon.

Thanks,

Kirk

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors...is the Valentine 1 a waste of money?