Sponsored by:

Fault code/Evo problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 09:02 PM
stingray
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fault code/Evo problem

I had the EVO V-Flow Induction System installed about a month ago and I've had nothing but problems. The first problem was due to a manufacturing error. That problem was addressed and the PSM and ABS problem went away, but the CEL problem stayed. The MAF was replaced and the CEL still comes on. It tends to light up when the engine is cold and I'm just starting out. My mechanic gets a code of P1109. He can only get a vauge explanation of that code, I'm hoping someone here has some details on it. The engine is running rich and has a slight miss when you try and hold a steady RPM. The 30,000 check up is due in a couple of thousand miles, so we decided to change the plugs early and see what happened. The plugs were sooty, as are the 02 sensors - no surprise as it is running rich. The new plugs have made a difference, but I tend to think there is still an underlying problem. My mechanic says the MAF is trying to lean out the engine, but it isn't working. Aanyone with any thoughts? thanks
Old 07-11-2005, 09:51 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

Could it be too much oil used in the K&N filter type? Normally, it's the MAF & plugs.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:02 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get yourself a good scanner and SEE what the sensors are doing. No sense in guessing. The reading of the MAF, Fuel Trim and O2 sensors will provide alot of help in finding out what is wrong.

Also of note: The MAF does not try to make the engine rich or lean. It is the first line of direction on air flow and temps provided to the computer. The O2 sensors will adjust if it is determined the engine is rich or lean.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:29 PM
stingray
Advanced

The oil in the filter has been addressed and the fuel trims were -15
Old 07-11-2005, 10:47 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray
The oil in the filter has been addressed and the fuel trims were -15
Ok, if both fuel trims are (15) then the o2 sensors are taking away fuel, which by itself is not a problem at that level and could indicate many possible causes including fuel pressure to high, open evap canister valve, etc. You need to see what the MAF reading is at idle on a cold engine without air on to confirm that it is working and it is reading the expected mass of air through the filter. It may show too high of a reading and this will cause the O2 sensors to adjust the fuel trim to compensate.

Although I have never heard of an 1109 code, I suspect it is O2 sensor ot CAT related simply because of its number range. Use your scanner to view the O2 sensor function. Also, a good scanner will be able to show you what condition the sensors were in when the error code was set. This will go along way in helping you find the problem
Old 07-12-2005, 12:08 AM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P1109 -102.6

Input Variables, Charge Measurement - Above Limit

Diagnosis conditions

· Engine running

Possible fault cause

¨ Heavily soiled throttle

¨ Throttle damaged

¨ Mass air flow sensor

Affected terminals

-

Diagnosis/Troubleshooting

Note!

In case of a defect in the MAF sensor, this fault must also be stored in the fault memory.

Work instruction Display OK If not OK

1 Check throttle (visual inspection) Step 2. Clean or replace throttle valve

2 Check voltage signal of ¨ Ignition on 0.9 to 1.1 V. MAF sensor
¨ Measure voltage between special tool 9637 Pin III/23 and ground

¨ In the Porsche System Tester 2, select the menu point
Actual values/mass air flow

¨ Start the engine. 1.2 to 1.5 V at idle speed

Last edited by ebaker; 07-12-2005 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:21 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is an input variable charge measurement. Same code as 1101 just a type 4 fault : Short to B+/Above upper limit/Rich mixture threshold.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Smithmotorworks
Rennlist Member

I'm Having the same code and problem!
Anyone know what was the cause or fix for this?
Thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Problem GIAC Software. You still running it? If so get the EVOMSIT software.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So many of these sorts of problems start with the installation of either the EVOM or the K and N CAI systems....I wonder how much money has been thrown at trying to remedy the problems caused by these "upgrades". There's certainly no offer from either of these companies to try to help you out. Go back to stock unless you're are planning on running really high horsepower.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:28 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
So many of these sorts of problems start with the installation of either the EVOM or the K and N CAI systems....I wonder how much money has been thrown at trying to remedy the problems caused by these "upgrades". There's certainly no offer from either of these companies to try to help you out. Go back to stock unless you're are planning on running really high horsepower.
+1
Old 02-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Evoms is notorious for this. I'm surprised they still sell this stuff.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Smithmotorworks
Rennlist Member

So a little more background:
My car is a 2002 gt2 - with alot of upgrades - garret turbos (evoms 700 kit) , Agency power intercoolers, agency power hose kit, 75mm throttle body, evoms CAI , Bigger intake piping (aluminium), evoms diverter valves, GMG full exhaust with 200 cell cats, 5 bar fpr, 60 lb injectors , Hitachi MAF upgrade kit .
The problem started when I installed the injectors and Hitachi MAF kit.
Which was actually before I installed the EVOMS CAI .
I was still using the factory air box with a K and N filter.

And a least for me Todd at EVOMS has been very helpfull. Even overnighting me a couple of parts to try at no cost.

But I'm still not sure what is causing this code. When I found this old post I thought maybe someone else had the easy answer!

Thanks
Old 02-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Our cars have the exact same hardware components, except for the exhaust. I use a 100 cell custom Europipe. I think I've had, literally, every problem associated with using the GT28's from EVO, starting with the generation #1 GT640 setup, prior to the 1.3 bar throttle body shutdown fix and the implementation of the 5 bar fuel regulator with the early kits.

BUT NOW, I finally have the car running PERFECT. Thanks to the Hitachi MAF, and equally importantly, the EVOMSit software.

What is "EVOMS CAI" and what software are you using??
Old 02-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smithmotorworks
So a little more background:
My car is a 2002 gt2 - with alot of upgrades - garret turbos (evoms 700 kit) , Agency power intercoolers, agency power hose kit, 75mm throttle body, evoms CAI , Bigger intake piping (aluminium), evoms diverter valves, GMG full exhaust with 200 cell cats, 5 bar fpr, 60 lb injectors , Hitachi MAF upgrade kit .
The problem started when I installed the injectors and Hitachi MAF kit.
Which was actually before I installed the EVOMS CAI .
I was still using the factory air box with a K and N filter.

And a least for me Todd at EVOMS has been very helpfull. Even overnighting me a couple of parts to try at no cost.

But I'm still not sure what is causing this code. When I found this old post I thought maybe someone else had the easy answer!

Thanks
The 5 Bar FPR is NOT to be used with the GT700 kit. That's a definate problem. Were you using GT28's prior to adding the 60 lbs injectors? Software, software, software... What are you running??

Quick Reply: Fault code/Evo problem