Sponsored by:

Extrude Hone

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extrude Hone

I hope to be able to attach a couple of images of my Y pipe that has now been polished on the ID by Extrude Hone. The next step for this is to send it to Vacuum Metal Coatings run by my good friend Greg Fuller. There I am going to have it "prettified" by getting it coated in Silver.

You can see the job that the extrude hone process does. Should help breathing marginally.

Also my stock, ported headers have been extrude honed. They are now at HPC in Oklahoma where they will get the extreme 2500 degree coating in black. A general question at this time is whether or not I should wrap the headers as well as the coating?

I hope the pictures go through...here goes!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:01 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Did you do pre dyno and one for after?
regards,
Steve
Old 06-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Default Dyno?!

Nope no pre-dyno, I would guess my car is getting about 1,000 to the front wheels though . I'm guessing 1,000 because if you're going to make something up it should be big!

I hope one day to find a tuner who can specifically dyno-tune the car live with the AFR's etc.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:14 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm just wondwering about the cost/benefit is all. You know separate reality from hype.
regards,
Steve
Old 06-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Default Realism is highly over rated!

Ah, a realist.....I personally never let the truth interfere with a good story! And quite frankly I don't think I've "hyped" anything just yet. But boy oh boy I will at the first opportunity!

Actually, rbc I would like to dyno the car at one stage. These improvements fall under the heading of things that others have done that have not hurt and have been more or less "dyno" proven. What I mentioned earlier is still true. I'd like to find a tuner who could properly and individually tune the car to the optimum air/fuel and drivability envelop. Most after market chip tuning is done by a menu of experience built up over time. These things are appropriate for a set piece set of tuning enhancements. And, I hasten to add I think they work quite well.

But my personal belief is the optimum tuning set up would be to have your car exactly matched to its' optimum potential, kind of like a Motronic system does. If there was one in SoCal I might try them out.

But the header and "Y" pipe that I'm doing are a mix of beautification and proven tuning enhancements pioneered by others. You know a true pathfinder only stands on the shoulders of those who have preceeded his explorations. Thanks to CJV and others like him!
Old 06-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had good results with extrude honing with other applications, but the stock y pipe doesn't seem restrictive enough to warrant a honing enough to make a real difference. It would seem that changing out the tubes along with the extruding the larger diameter EVO flex pipes and or FVD tubes would make a very noticeable difference.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Like Oak, I've enjoyed success with various Extrude-Honed parts, especially where that process does a more consistent job than I can do by hand.

If I had a stock and Extrude-Honed Y-pipe here, I'd be pleased to flow both on the Flow Bench and measure the differences, if any.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Oak, I have the EVO silicone hose set installed in my car.

Steve; It would be really interesting to measure the flow rates! I'll tell you what, if I get the "Y" pipe coated before the headers get back I might try to send it up to you for a flow test.

When I get this stuff installed I also plan the GT-2 Intercoolers, and the EVO air box.

I still have an open question however; is it worth it to wrap the headers over the coating? Remember they are stock, ported units.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Here is a paragraph from Burn's Stainless.

In addition, there are companies that coat headers with a thermal barrier, typically some sort of ceramic formula, in order to keep the heat inside of the system. Stainless steel performs this function without the need for add-ons because it has a much lower coefficient of themal conductivity, thereby keeping more heat inside and transmitting it to the header outlet. Raidiated heat is perhaps the most important reason to wrap or ceramic coat the headers..

Garey don't wrap them, do one or the other..
Old 06-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Garey Cooper
Steve; It would be really interesting to measure the flow rates! I'll tell you what, if I get the "Y" pipe coated before the headers get back I might try to send it up to you for a flow test.

When I get this stuff installed I also plan the GT-2 Intercoolers, and the EVO air box.
Hi Garey:

It would be my pleasure.

BTW,....I have GT-2 IC's here if you need them,...
Old 07-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Headers and "Y" Pipe are being installed now. Also being installed at this time are the GT-2 intercoolers and the EVO intake. Some day I will dyno my jalopy to see what I've done to the poor thing!

I'll take some pictures when I pick the little dickens up.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:08 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Well, the items are installed now. I wanted to put some pix up last week but our ol' board guru was doing some updates so I ran out of time. I will try to post some pix soon.....

Intalled; Modded "Y" pipe, extrude honed and coated, GT-2 Intercoolers, ported and extrude honed headers with external 2400C ceramic coating, and the EVO intake system.

First drivng impressions; a little more "lively" response to throttle inputs, and some boost starting in down lower in the rev range. Also the boost seems to come on a little harder to me??? Well, that could be wishful thinking but hey it's my day dream!

I will try to post pix later.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Default Some Photo's (I hope)

Okay, if my meager computer skills work here are some photos I took of the installation of the following items:

Exhaust Manifold
GT-2 Intercoolers
'Y" Pipe
EVO Intake System

After driving it again yesterday the overall impressions remain positive.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:57 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Default Some more photo's I hope!

Okay, after that first attempt here are the balance of photos (I hope anyway!).
Old 07-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Default How embarassing! I will upload photos again

Well, I messed that up pretty bad. I tried to post more than one photo with reply. It didn't work, so I will do one at a time here. Sorry all:

Quick Reply: Extrude Hone