Sponsored by:

Help!!! headroom problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 12:41 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help!!! headroom problem...

I'm 6'2.4" tall and don't have a headroom problem for street driving. However, for track when I put a helmet on my head hits the roof. As a result I have to tilt my head more towards the center of the car so as not to conatantly bump the ceiling. While I can live (survive) temporarily what's a good, permanent solution (short of scalping my head)?

While my TT has Porsche sports seats, I had the same problem with 997's with regular seats on the track. Thanks...
Old 02-18-2005, 02:15 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would adjust the incline of the seats and make sure it is as low as it goes. I am 6'5" with only a 34" inseem, so I sit extremely tall and I have no problems in the 996. I also do not have the seat all the way lowered. I do however, tilt the seat back slightly (in all my cars). You can then adjust the forward locatiion of the seat if necessary to adjust for reach. I haven't tried with a helmet but do wear a hat and have no problems.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:59 PM
ljd-924SE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want to throw some money at the situation: sunroof delete will add some headroom, or RoW GT3 seats have a lower seating position.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:06 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ljd-924SE
if you want to throw some money at the situation: sunroof delete will add some headroom, or RoW GT3 seats have a lower seating position.
What does a Sunroof Delete entail? Estimated cost?...thanks
Old 02-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobbyC
What does a Sunroof Delete entail? Estimated cost?...thanks
Thats something you would have to get from the factory...

Brey Kraus makes some sliders for lowering the seat, but that might only be for lowering the GT3 seats. Otherwise you might be able to find a lowered driver side sport seat like they offer in the GT3.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

I have a pretty tall sitting height. That's why I ordered my Turbo with sunroof delete...provides another 1.5 inches or so of headroom. Even with the sunroof delete, and my seat full down, the top of my head still brushes the headliner. So without some kind of seat mod., I still wouldn't be able to wear a helmet
Old 02-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

Replacing the factory sunroof is a fairly easy job. The GT3, GT2 roof panel is less than $200.00 I replaced mine. It is the cost of the new headliner that cost the $$$.. However, there are other options for that..
Old 02-19-2005, 12:50 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Replacing the factory sunroof is a fairly easy job. The GT3, GT2 roof panel is less than $200.00 I replaced mine. It is the cost of the new headliner that cost the $$$.. However, there are other options for that..
Kevin, could you elaborate please...and also the other options. Thanks...
Old 02-19-2005, 01:30 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

Your sunroof takes up space.. The actual mechanism and tracks is roughly 1.75" Installing the factory sheetmetal can be done at any good bodyshop.. Infact they will have to drill out 18 spot rivits on each side and once the front and rear glass are removed another 24 spot weld for each of those sides need to be removed.. The panel basically lifts right out. Yes there is seam sealer/adhesive that is cut in the front and rear header but it basically is cut with a utility knife.. If you look at a GT3 of GT2 the interior headliner has 3/16 metal rods for the bows to hold the headliner up.. They are held in place on each side of the car, above the upper door sills, by using longer rods one will create a higher arc thus giving you more headroom... due to the fact that the sunroof panel/slide tray/mechanism is gone. If you look at your roof structure you will see the panel inside of the door and quarter panel supports..
Old 02-19-2005, 02:24 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Your sunroof takes up space.. The actual mechanism and tracks is roughly 1.75" Installing the factory sheetmetal can be done at any good bodyshop.. Infact they will have to drill out 18 spot rivits on each side and once the front and rear glass are removed another 24 spot weld for each of those sides need to be removed.. The panel basically lifts right out. Yes there is seam sealer/adhesive that is cut in the front and rear header but it basically is cut with a utility knife.. If you look at a GT3 of GT2 the interior headliner has 3/16 metal rods for the bows to hold the headliner up.. They are held in place on each side of the car, above the upper door sills, by using longer rods one will create a higher arc thus giving you more headroom... due to the fact that the sunroof panel/slide tray/mechanism is gone. If you look at your roof structure you will see the panel inside of the door and quarter panel supports..
Kevin, thanks a ton...appreciate it. Now let me go talk to a couple of bodyshops and see what they can do. Alternatively, I may have to just get some low riding GT3 type sports seats.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:12 PM
DonneyJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the steering wheel out as far as you can, move the seat nearer the pedals and tilt the seat backrest slightly backwards, this will give you an inch and shouldn't affect driving too much.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:56 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DonneyJ
Pull the steering wheel out as far as you can, move the seat nearer the pedals and tilt the seat backrest slightly backwards, this will give you an inch and shouldn't affect driving too much.
DonneyJ...you're a genius. I tried it and it actually works...think I can get used to it. Now I know why I like this board. Thanks Donney...
Old 02-20-2005, 12:45 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DonneyJ
My problem with that position is my legs are too close to the steering wheel...I can't get my hand past my leg when turning the steering wheel.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:16 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
My problem with that position is my legs are too close to the steering wheel...I can't get my hand past my leg when turning the steering wheel.
Dock...in my earlier seated position I had a similar problem where my right thigh was close to the steering wheel such that in sharp right handers my right hand would brush/be somewhat obstructed by my leg (I use the classic 9 o'clock/3 o'clock hands position). then someone suggested that for right hand turns to try the "shifting hands" method. It seems to work...try it.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyC
...then someone suggested that for right hand turns to try the "shifting hands" method. It seems to work...try it.
That's a good idea, I'll try it.

Quick Reply: Help!!! headroom problem...