Sponsored by:

When Buying Turbo - look for this

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:30 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great read..........thanks for sharing.
Would also like to see and article on " How to properly maintain your Turbo once you purchase it". The does and dont's of Turbo ownership.
Does this article exist anywhere?

Cheers and safe driving.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kevin
All I work on, are Pcar turbochargers... This ranges from 930-993TT-996TT and the far greater cause for failed turbochargers are sealing ring failures due to excessive heat.. People do not take the time to let the turbo's cool down.. I have posted numerous details and pictures of burnt turbine wheels.. Over 2.5 years ago I cautioned 996TT owners of seal failures..

Failed or leaky turbochargers are not a death sentence, like the RMS.. It is easily fixed and won't occur if one takes car of his turbo's... If you want to know how your car was taken care of by the previous owner, ask him what he did when he fuel up his car.. Does he pull right to the pumps and shut the car off? Or does he stage the car and let it cool down.. Most people will just pull to the pump after blast on the freeway, and shut the engine off...
Kevin you are a font of good info. When was the last time you were called a font?

The point made in your posts is strong. It's counter intuitive to leave the car run when filling up (gas). So I would assume the seals are shot in any turbo w 20K or more.

How much is the install of the new seals and is it a good idea to install a new cooler turbine wheel (that you recommend)
Old 02-14-2005, 12:48 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Torags or Kevin:
While I think I can pick most of these things out in the engine, is there an 996 TT engine schematic that you are aware of? It would make the engine inspection go alot smoother.

Thanks

CJ
Old 02-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Torags, my point with the fueling of your car, is to stage the car and let it idle prior to filling up.. I don't advocate idling in front of the pumps... If the car isn't smoking, I wouldn't lose sleep over it..

yetis, I really don't no of any publication for the TT engine, other than the factory manuals.. The turbochargers are easily found under the car..
Old 02-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kevin
Torags, my point with the fueling of your car, is to stage the car and let it idle prior to filling up.. I don't advocate idling in front of the pumps... If the car isn't smoking, I wouldn't lose sleep over it..
How bout the cost of new seals and new cooler turbine wheel (you know, the one you have in your car)?

Yetis, I did post a schematic of the turbo process (not specfic to pcars), it's in the same website as the "tips". It helped me understand the basics. Kevin is the real deal, he knows where the rubber meets the road.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

PM me
Old 02-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Kevin, consider yourself PM'd.........
Old 02-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree with some of the things they say to look for.

Namely:
3. Receipts from previous turbo repairs. Proof of a reputable service history.
*Only turbo repairs? How often do turbos need repairing?
4. Aftermarket turbo remanufacturer’s name plate. Has the turbo been replaced before and by whom ? Be suspicious if the repair was not carried out by a reputable company.
*Define turbo repair. A rebuild? It would take me a few hours to install a turbo by myself in almost any car, so if it is installation, why does it have to be so reputable. A few seals, a few properly torqued nuts.
10. Non-genuine hose clips. May indicate poor workmanship.
*The OEM obviously contracted God to manufacture their special hose clamps.
18. Non genuine oil filter. A sign of cost cutting when servicing a car.
*I thought mobile 1 made the best filters, fully synthetic element. Again, not going to pay 10 times the price for a simple maintainence part.
24. Rubbing or split Intercooler hoses. This will cause low boost and a loss of power.
*Intercooler hoses are moving parts? Woah.
29. Uprated or non genuine exhaust system. Reducing the exhaust back pressure with a free flow exhaust system can cause oil leakage from the turbo oil seals, leading to blue exhaust oil smoke.
*I've run a turbo car with almost no exhaust system for 40,000 miles. Is my turbo billowing blue smoke? I'd think an uprated exhaust system would be a bonus.
1. Whistling noise on acceleration. Turbo imbalance or air leak.
*Every turbo car I've owned or driven, aside from my 944, has made a whining sounds while spinning up.

"It cannot be stressed too much how important it is, when purchasing a replacement turbocharger, always to choose the top brand name -Turbo Technics. Consider this. As with so many things in life, quality costs, and there are sometimes cheaper turbos for sale. Without the safeguard of using a Turbo Technics turbocharger, you run a serious risk that your short-term saving may turn out to be a long-term nightmare."
*That is so important! Manufacturers such as Garrett, Mitsubishi, and KKK have no clue how to design, build, or balance turbos. Those OEM's you see with 40k on them on ebay, those are horrible. They will cause catastrophic failures; your wrist pins will be sent flying through the head like projectiles out of a 400mm **** flack cannon. Watch out, those ME-262's are ferocious!

Last edited by Swagger93; 02-21-2005 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: When Buying Turbo - look for this