Opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 10:09 PM
bigape
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions please!

Gent's,
Found this car on Ebay and have chatted with the Dealer extensively. I thought I’d post the description and pic here to get your advice or to see if any one has had any interaction with the car or dealer. He's asking $94k on his site and has offered the car to me for $87.5k. Your input as always is appreciated! ...XENONS. TECHARTCARBON FIBER BODY KIT. CARBON FIBER STEERING WHEEL PREMIUM CHROME GFG 19 INCH WHEELS upgradedBREMBO BRAKES. STAGE 3 LIGHT WEIGHT CLUTCH. OVER $30,000.00 SPENT IN UPGRADESGT STAGE 4 TURBO'S The 3.6 liter H6 SEFI TWIN TURBO TURBO engine is in sound running condition. These engines have a keen reputation for there durability and explosive horsepower. This vehicle has been meticulously maintained and it shows. The smooth shifting ALL WHEEL DRIVE 6 Speed TRANSMISSION delivers race car like snap when taunted. With a pampered 25,700 miles she is barley broken in. This engine has had a Evolution motor sports GT stage 4 Turbo upgrade boosting to 650 HP. How's that for power. The Headers and Exhaust Turbo ECU management unit releases a growl from the rear of this vehicle that is out of this world. A STAGE 3 light weight racing clutch and Billet aluminum fly wheel has just been installed delivering incredible performance. This is for up to 800HP. This engine also has a H&R race coilover kit and Sway bars. And last but not least is the GT-2 Intercooler Upgrade. The dealer’s name is Nick Garulay
Attached Images    
Old 01-13-2005, 10:26 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 541 Likes on 354 Posts

Not sure what year it is but IMO its too much Bling, not my style, too each his own.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:59 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the warranty has been voided with the modifications.

If you want a performance Porsche, there are two choices:

1. GT2
2. GT3
Old 01-14-2005, 01:29 AM
dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Don't know the car nor the dealer.
What (exactly) are you looking for in a Porsche, and what about this car interests you?
Answers may help with peoples responses.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:30 AM
dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

and it looks as tho it may be an '01?
Old 01-14-2005, 01:31 AM
dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

ohh, and it is purtey nice looking...
Old 01-14-2005, 01:45 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it looks to be an 01, judging from interior
Old 01-14-2005, 09:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I get nervous when a dealer uses the word 'explosive' when talking about an engine.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

That background looks very familiar... is that being offered by Naples Motorsports??
Old 01-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

I would be a little nervous about a 650 hp motor with 25K miles and no warranty. 25K miles on a stock motor might be hardly broken in but not on a mod motor. I always prefer to do the aftermarket goodies myself so I know exactly what has been done and where the weak links are. Or buy one from someone I know and trust.

That said it seems like a lot of car for the money.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:57 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Colm
I think the warranty has been voided with the modifications.

If you want a performance Porsche, there are two choices:

1. GT2
2. GT3
I would have to object to Colm's point. If the dude's looking for something with REAL power, neither of those machines will satisfy! I would personally never consider a GT2 or a GT3 as my primary car. (Although I wouldn't mind a GT3 if I were to own a second 996) The car can more than likely be identified by Tod @ Evolution Motorsports. Give him a shout and ask if he remembers it. The list of mods sound very impressive. What a great bargin if this is the path you were interested in taking.

Mike
Old 01-15-2005, 07:39 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Huge savings but even greater risk. This car may not even be usable. It's slammed to the point that normal road obstacles pose a risk, the 19's amplify that point, the mileage raises the question of how often the 650 claimed hp have been used, the warranty is gone and you don't know who has done all the work. What is the utility and longevity of the light clutch?
This car raises an important question. Is it worth more or less than an unmodified car? In my opinion, it is worth less. There are far fewer potential buyers, there are far fewer potential servicers, the number of potential problems have multiplied, and the benefits are unknown. A short term lease would limit your exposure, but I don't think I would touch it without full warranty coverage. Whe this car burps, it's gonna cost 12 grand. AS
Old 01-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
.... When this car burps, it's gonna cost 12 grand. AS
Applying these mods to a used TT for the same price will cost 30K+.
- Sell The 19's
- See if the suspension can be adjusted to a more usable height.
- Contact the mod installer.
- Have the car inspected at a dealership.

If all looks good and YOU WANT to have a TT with these kind of mods, this may be a good deal.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:14 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 541 Likes on 354 Posts

It is a 01 now that I looked at the interior pic.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:14 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey Z,
I'm not really crazy about the way I sound on this, but...
Adding this stuff to a tt could cost way more than 30K
Cost of mods: 30K
Cost of repairs ?
Xtra depreciation ?
The most renowned former poster on this board has spent a half million dollars (my estimate) on mods and has a car no one would buy. To heavily modify a tt, you've got to do it because it's worth the cost and more to you individually with no hope of recompense. Kind of like a donation to the charity of YOU.
I can't make myself do it (totally independent of the concept of affording it), certainly while the car is under warranty and only marginally after that point. I sound like I'm sucking the fun out of the discussion. These cars are just too good stock and too complex when something misfires. My opinion of all things powered by a small block chevy is totally different. On those cars, you can swap an engine for the cost of a flywheel/clutch on ours.
Lastly, I think doing the mods on your own car is different. In that case, you know what your starting platform is like. When you buy one someone else has done, you have no idea of whats happened. If it pulls, is it poor installation, worn parts, or something bent from a mishap. If a CEL goes on, is it the first tmie or the 20th? I think that buying the bling is pretty safe, but the rest sares me.AS

Quick Reply: Opinions please!