Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K40 radar detector opinions...step inside, please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 09:15 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question K40 radar detector opinions...step inside, please.

I just bought a 2,000 mile 03 TT tip replacing my 97 TT. Dealer installed K40 in both. The 97 K40 was...well just not good. The 03 version is front, rear, and laser with diffuser.

It is broken - the front radar receiver portion. I have mixed feelings about getting it repaired. I am quoted about 5 hours and a $400 receiver unit.

Opinions appreciated.

Last edited by jessejames; 10-07-2004 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my feelings are that the Valentine 1 Does everything the K40 does, and more, but is cheaper, not a permanent install (unless one wants it to be) and can be moved from car to car.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:07 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

I have the K40 in my TT and its a total piece of crap. Go for V1, I would have if I had the choice (Came in the car).
Evan
Old 10-07-2004, 10:13 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moogle
my feelings are that the Valentine 1 Does everything the K40 does, and more...
My feeling as well, but I am wondering whether the repair of the K40 is worth the same price as the V-1. The former owner of my car paid over 2K for the K40.

Stealthyness of the K40 is nice but if it is no better than the 97 version I would rather pass on the repair.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:24 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMG ETR
I have the K40 in my TT and its a total piece of crap...
That was my opinion of the 97 flavor. I don't know if they have been improved with the laser and diffuser.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:37 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jessejames
That was my opinion of the 97 flavor. I don't know if they have been improved with the laser and diffuser.
I have the new one with the laser and diffuser...it still sucks. People with V1 do much better when I am driving with them... I have gotten 3 tickets that I shouldn't have with this thing...
Evan
Old 10-08-2004, 03:02 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are stealth installs of the V1 that offset the only apparent benifit of the K40 which is stealth.

plus there are those ones where they etch the V1 display into the rear view mirror, doesnt get any more slick and sexy than that.

i would spend as much money as needed to REMOVE the k40 haha. and then get a v1 and some sort of custom install if you need stealth.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:52 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

I have the Passport SRX in my TT and an older K40 in my Countach. The K40 is worthless, the passport is awesome! If you want remote, (and I insist on it), get the SRX. Plus, it includes laser shifting.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:53 AM
antcee
Intermediate

I've got the K-40 in 2 of my cars, and both are working fine for me. They have saved my bacon many times.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AMG ETR
I have the K40 in my TT and its a total piece of crap.
Sorry but I wholeheartedly disagree. I have both a V1 & a K40. It is true that the V1 offers a slightly longer range at 1/3 the price. However, the K40 is far superior to any other dash mounted radar detector I've used. I might get an extra 2-3 seconds of notice on my V1, but that's not enough of a difference to call the K40 a "total piece of crap".

With all due respect, the people who claim to have received too many tickets with the K40 probably did not receive radar or laser based tickets. FYI, the vast majority of citiations issued by the CHP still use old-fashioned pacing, which no radar detector can protect you from.

Too many people feel that everything must be their way & that any other choice is crap. Example: look at the constant bashing of Upsolute when it's proven that it performs just as well as a GIAC chip!!
Old 10-24-2004, 09:18 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both a k40 and a V1. I've gotten a ticket with both on. Interestingly, I got hit by laser. So, both are piece of crap right.....wrong!

K40 actually beeped then when silent a couple of times. Later I would realize that the K40 was picking up the POP. Valentine 1 didn't utter a sound so I ignored the K40 until.....both lit up at the same time. I immediately hit my brakes as I saw that the Laser warning came up on the V1. Here's where the story gets interesting....

I looked at my speed and I was doing 70 when they went off (I won't tell you what the speed limit was...). I pulled over and officer told me he clocked me going 61. Reeeally....

When he came back with the ticket I inquired what type of radar he was using. He told me a laser and then said, "it was kind of strange though because I didn't get a good reading the first time and had to hold it for longer than I usually do.

I can only guess that this was because of the laser difuser in the front that the K40 has and that the extra time allowed me to slow to 61 before he clocked me. He then said since it was 61 mph he'd drop it to 54 (still not telling you what speed limit was...) so I'd have a cheaper ticket. The way I look at it. The K40 saved me half the cost of a V1.

The ONLY reason I like the V1 is because it shows what type of radar you're being hit with. The biggest annoyance of the V1 is the constant beeping over the K40.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:50 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Originally Posted by PedroNole
When he came back with the ticket I inquired what type of radar he was using. He told me a laser and then said, "it was kind of strange though because I didn't get a good reading the first time and had to hold it for longer than I usually do.

I can only guess that this was because of the laser difuser in the front that the K40 has and that the extra time allowed me to slow to 61 before he clocked me.
Thanks. Good information.

I replied to your email as well.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:10 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Check out the "whats new" tab on this website. These guys do the nicest V1 installs I have seen (not in person)
http://www.aidesign.com/
Old 10-25-2004, 11:58 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The V1 saved my *** again on I5 coming back from Butonwillow. It is simply amazing. It is so sensitive I don't know how they do it. It must have saved me 100 times by now.

Quick Reply: K40 radar detector opinions...step inside, please.