Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 04:53 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Holy moly this is Killer Angel Mark V Great stuff in here. Only 5.5 pounds eh? That's as light as my front caliper.... The stage II one light weight flywheel on Fred's is like 9 pounds or so?

PS PM me on that oil pump... I'll likely take it
Old 09-10-2004, 08:00 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin, please keep us informed. Can't wait to see what you do.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Chad;

I talked to the Pankl boys and they were amused as to what I was doing with the engine.. The loads on the rods go up exponentially as the engine RPM goes up, and in piston weight.. Two things in my favor is I will keep the Redline below 8500, and my pistons are lighter than the high compression Mahle's.. I have seen three sets of Pankl rod over the last year and have talked to the race teams that are running them.. The problem is the rod bolts, I spoke to Porsche Motorsports and they recommended me not using the factory titanium fasteners.. But to source through ARP.. The representative from Porsche Motorsports said that they had a lost an engine as recently as the Portland ALMS race... It was attributed to ROD bolts failing...

I'll take one for the team if I have a failure.. This is a risk in every R & D engine.. The main difference is that I can pull it apart myself and inspect things on any given sign of problems.. I'm going to take methodical oil samples.. Time will tell.. Personally my recommendation for anyone is to jump ship away from the 993 hardware, and to use the larger bearing GT3 rotating assy.. Rumor has it, that Carrillo will put this larger rod into inventory... I'll post pics of the pistons and specs soon..
Old 09-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Chad; Can you weigh them.. I will post all the weights from the pistons that I have a little later..

Alex, you can call me..

Here is a picture of the factory 996TT rod next to the titanium rod.. I have added a replacement ARP rod bolt that you could use in the 993-996TT rod.. the diameter of this bolt is 9mm, the rod bolt that Porsche Motorsports recommended was also an ARP 10mm rod bolt with washer..
Old 09-11-2004, 01:12 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I received my new GT2 rear view mirrors today.. They will look good against the black car..
Old 09-11-2004, 01:19 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

In the quest for building this engine, I have taken a far out approach for weight reduction.. Years ago I had a '93 RS America.. I really liked the way the factory lightened the car up. I'm taking this same approach with this car.. I have removed the sunroof and I can tell you that there is alot of weight up there boys.. I will post the weight of the sunroof track and motor and reinforcements.. Here is a bargain of the century from Porsche.. A new panel cost less than $200.00 The hardest thing about this is the glass removal.. I'll have no problem with the welding aspect of this task..
Old 09-11-2004, 12:09 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Show off :
Old 09-11-2004, 04:50 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

I have a question ...

What is a guestimate at the current power limit for a normally aspirated version of this engine which would at least be minimally road-able with a muffler and with a reasonable longevity? Would this likely be a 4 litre engine using the GT3RS heads? What is the likely RPM limit? Any guess on what other components would be appropriate?

I guess the current GT3RSR engine makes about 460 hp but if I understand correctly, this engine has an intake restrictor in it. So would 460 hp be a reasonable figure for a similar engine with no restrictor, mufflers and intended to be rebuilt less frequently?

Thank you gentlemen.

Stephen
Old 09-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have heard from 2 different race teams that this engine in a non-restricted form can crank out 530-545HP.. Why would you want to slip in a larger bore.. Add boost to get to where you want.. Drop the RPM down and your will put life into this engine.. When you add mass by going to a larger displacement, you are putting more stress on the rotating assy. When you add turbocharging to the mix, you can actually make more HP, and at the same time reduce the stress on the rotating assy.. Due to the fact that, you power band is moved down the RPM ladder..
Old 09-11-2004, 10:30 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin
I have heard from 2 different race teams that this engine in a non-restricted form can crank out 530-545HP.. Why would you want to slip in a larger bore.. Add boost to get to where you want.. Drop the RPM down and your will put life into this engine.. When you add mass by going to a larger displacement, you are putting more stress on the rotating assy. When you add turbocharging to the mix, you can actually make more HP, and at the same time reduce the stress on the rotating assy.. Due to the fact that, you power band is moved down the RPM ladder..
Thank you Kevin for the info. I assume that the 530-545 hp figure is for basically a de-restricted version of the RS engine with few other changes? i.e. 3.6 litres??

Why? I want to take a 996/997 GT3 Cup and make the necessary changes to get it registered in Europe (the U.K or Germany probably). The goal will be a "track day" car which can occasionally be driven on the street. Short-term I will just use a stock GT3 engine. Long-term I want to build something a little better.

Sometimes absolute maximum power is not the most important thing. My experience with the 996 Turbo vs. the GT3 Mk2 is that the GT3 will pick up a car’s length exiting the corner and that the Turbo will then take that car’s length back over the length of the straight. Weight is an issue too. My feeling is that a normally aspirated is better suited to my purposes.

Plus, I just like normally aspirated. I drive a couple turbocharged cars and there is just something very sexy about a high-revving normally aspirated engine that I like a lot. Not everything has to be logical.

I think you might be right that increasing the capacity of the engine would be a bad idea. 530-545 hp really is sufficient for almost any track purpose I think.

I guess it wouldn’t be that expensive to build such an engine given that most of what is needed is already out there? I would guess also that the primary goal would be to lighten the internals as much as possible so as to increase the rev limit?

Stephen
Old 09-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Stephen;

One of the reasons that I wanted to buy this engine is to get rid of the "Black Magic" with what this engine really is.. Infact, I can now duplicate it, on any 996TT engine.. The cylinder heads are the key. The heads are getting flowed on a flow bench as we speak.. With the CNC'd ports one can copy this on every other head.. I should get my new exhaust valves next week rated at 2600 degrees!

I am logging the weights that I'm stripping off the car.. I'm going to try to get it in the 2800lb range.. That will definately get the car to feel like RSA or GT3..
Old 09-11-2004, 11:50 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Thank you Kevin for the info. I wish you luck with your project and look forward to hearing more as it progresses.

Stephen
Old 09-12-2004, 03:27 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Chad do you need some valves... I'm having them made for my specs.. I want to get them into my hands before I go public with them.. I'd be glad to swap info.. Call me..
Old 09-12-2004, 03:48 AM
nman413
Drifting

Kevin, now if you can do the same for 993tt engines.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:57 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I can, you can.. The case is basically the same, it's the 964 casting.. Buy the GT3 crank and GT3 oil pump, and have the 23mm rods made.. I prefer Carrillo's.. I will be posting the CNC work that I'm doing on the case.. A few of the race teams have said that #7 main web is cracking after 35 hours of race time.. That's a topic for later.. All of these things can be done to the 993TT engine and should be done to a DE car.. With the addition to a flame ring between the cylinder and head.. And if you have the case on the CNC, O-ring the liner spigot where the cylinder fit in the case, just like Porsche did on the 993RS cars.. Why they did it for the RS and not for the TT, one wonders..

Quick Reply: The Quest for maximum HP