Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pccm+ aliexpress clone review and pics / install

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 10:56 AM
marshcroft
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

That's where I got to, haven't had time to dive Into that yet other than I found updated fw files online just need to clarify before I attempt it as I'd rather not brick it.

BTW in the settings there was a setting that had something like configuration and was set to version1 version2 is also available don't change that like I did as it will flip the display vertical yet keep the touch normal orientation and is a real pain to change back, made matters worse I made multiple changes before rebooting it.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:58 AM
mrm996tt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too late lol. Just spent 10 mins to get the screen right side up.
Old 06-03-2024, 12:25 PM
911cat
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Got mine installed in my 04 996TT. It was not too bad, but still was a bit more than I thought. You need the fiber box and need to figure out how to mount it centered.

I used these plastic shims that worked great:
ACE Plastic Shims

Still did not get the illumination to work on mine. Not a big deal, but I would like to get it to work. I searched all menus, but cannot seem to locate the right one. Mine is the 4GB unit.
Old 06-05-2024, 12:37 AM
marshcroft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911cat
Got mine installed in my 04 996TT. It was not too bad, but still was a bit more than I thought. You need the fiber box and need to figure out how to mount it centered.

I used these plastic shims that worked great:
ACE Plastic Shims

Still did not get the illumination to work on mine. Not a big deal, but I would like to get it to work. I searched all menus, but cannot seem to locate the right one. Mine is the 4GB unit.
I used the cigarette lighter illumination cable to the orange cable for the canbus, then I just set illumination on with power in the factory settings menu
The following users liked this post:
911cat (06-05-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 04:48 PM
SLOWPOKEMD
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed the aliexpress headunit... I followed the instructions on this thread and thought I would try to pay it forward with my observations that may help someone else....

MY CAR: 2002 996 turbo 6spd (BOSE, non-MOST); had a pre-existing double-din headunit with rear-view camera that I installed 12-ish years ago.
* I ordered the DSP 7862 8GB RAM (128GB ROM) from Sadocom on Aliexpress. Seller indicated the 7862 processor is the fastest and recommended it. I also ordered the headunit with CANBUS and BOSE per seller's advice, but I didn't use them and don't believe they are needed.

Almost plug and play.
  • Audio out L/R RCA cables to L/R RCA cables... I didn't use LOC or splitters. Not sure if I have fader capability, but I don't use it anyway. Sound is great and comes out of all my speakers, as far as I can tell.
  • Amp blue line to amp blue line... prewired with male and female plug (required to get sound).
  • Green square plug to green square plug (not sure what this does or if connecting these is necessary, but I did).
The only modification required was to get illumination as described in the thread....
  • briefly, the orange wire goes from black harness power plug and into the 6th position in the large radio harness.... i cut the orange wire it in the middle and the part going into the white plug is left dangling.
  • there are two harnesses provided, but you only need one. I took a connecting pin from the other harness and connected that to the orange wire.
A few observations:
  • Red ACC line (long wire) - this did not need to be connected for me. In fact, when I did connect it to a switched 12V, the engine wouldn't shut off unless I fully removed the key (no good).
  • Reverse line for rear camera goes to male plug (leave female dangling)
  • Radio antenna - there is a small metal plug adapter to go from factory radio antenna into headunit. I think the antenna with the wires is for a powered antenna, which I do not have and so did not use this.
  • I didn't connect 4G antenna
  • There is a bunch of other stuff not needed: eg - there is a separate harness for CANBUS and another module for BOSE-MOST that I did not use (PS - for the illumination, I removed a pin from this CANBUS harness to use in my harness).
So almost plug and play. Works great.
Thanks for this thread for helping me figure it out... hopefully the above helps someone with the same BOST/pre-MOST car.
Now just working on settings...

PS - I also added the external TPMS from Sadocom. The valve covers look goofy... but its handy and seems to work well.

PPS - I did not use shims. The Aliexpress headunit comes with a cage that I positioned by reusing a frame that came with my previous aftermarket headunit, and I secured the aliexpress cage to the car by screwing into the plastic outer molding (near the lower buttons (above the wiper adjustment and the cigarette lighter) on each side of the horseshoe. My unit sticks out a little, but it's secure and I don't mind.

Last edited by SLOWPOKEMD; 06-10-2024 at 05:32 PM. Reason: additional information added
The following 2 users liked this post by SLOWPOKEMD:
Ralf79 (06-10-2024), Scrh1 (06-10-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 08:26 PM
mrdstr
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Did you also need to use shims to get correct fitment? Looks like some folks do and some don't. Not sure why. do you recall what kit you ordered? I also have on 02 Bose, but with the single din.
Old 06-10-2024, 12:21 PM
Scrh1
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 119 Posts

Great seeing this thread still going! We will be on the next gen of carputers aka pccm clones before we know it. - scrh1
The following users liked this post:
Ralf79 (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 02:49 PM
marshcroft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrdstr
Did you also need to use shims to get correct fitment? Looks like some folks do and some don't. Not sure why. do you recall what kit you ordered? I also have on 02 Bose, but with the single din.
shims are needed if you didn't already have an aftermarket unit installed with a cage
Old 06-10-2024, 02:51 PM
marshcroft
Rennlist Member

Has anyone upgraded the pccm clone to android 13 yet? If so any feedback on process or issues encountered with the upgrade? If not I believe I have all the files and steps and I can revert back so I'll be a guinea pig if needed.
Old 06-10-2024, 05:29 PM
SLOWPOKEMD
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I did not use shims... I edited the above post to reflect how I secured it.

Originally Posted by mrdstr

Last edited by SLOWPOKEMD; 06-10-2024 at 05:30 PM. Reason: reference original post
Old 06-14-2024, 01:45 AM
marshcroft
Rennlist Member

Default Android 13 on sadocom snapdragon success

I have successfully been a guinea pig and updated to android 13 on the sadocom snapdragon model.

Update file will also update the mcu to latest version

update.zip file is located in this rar file

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/vwpjfOgD6l4diA

Forum for this is here
https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-qcm6125-...12-13.4650179/

Format usb stick 32gb or less to fat32 and copy update.zip to it insert into usb port of head unit, you could also use the micro sd card.
device will auto detect and asked to upgrade or go to settings system and select update.

select wipe data

System will reboot and update

Takes about 5 mins and will jump 33% 66% then 100 and reboot each jump on the bar takes 2 mins

First boot is about 30 seconds

System seems faster I'll update anything I find or any questions let me know
The following 5 users liked this post by marshcroft:
Carlo_Carrera (06-14-2024), fridsten (06-28-2024), irnnr (06-17-2024), myw (07-01-2024), Scrh1 (06-14-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 03:45 AM
fridsten
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That's awesome! What version did you run before the upgrade? My unit claims to run Android 12, but it's actually Android 10...
Old 06-30-2024, 06:00 PM
marshcroft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fridsten
That's awesome! What version did you run before the upgrade? My unit claims to run Android 12, but it's actually Android 10...
I had the sadocom snapdragon and it said it was running 12, I took this at face value as sadocom told me there is no 13 released for his headunit only 12 which came pre installed.

I haven't had any real issues with the head unit on 13, it's fast responsive and android auto works both wireless and wired not that I really use that as I prefer the stock Android experience.

The one issue or glitch I had and I can't confirm if this was 13 as I didn't have my dongle before I upgraded but I could not get the Bluetooth obd to connect at all so no torq data.
I finally got around this with either 1 or 2 of the following.

I installed Bluetooth scanner app and this found and connected to my dongle still stock Bluetooth would see it but not connect. In the mod settings you can change Bluetooth name I deleted the name and then it connected, note I was still connected to the device on the Bluetooth scanner but it's been flawless ever since just auto connects now when i open torq.

The only other annoyance I have is the wifi signal is poor connecting to my house and i have an access point in my garage, i bought on amazon a all in one antenna ( 4g, bluetooth, wifi and gps) has 3 antenna to screw in, i installed this moved the antenna around even out of the car and no improvement to make it weirder i removed the antenna from the head unit and the same level of connection so the antenna doesnt seem to make any difference. But the phone hotspot in the car gives me 5 bars and works fine which is what I'll use anyway so not a major issues just a gripe.
Old 06-30-2024, 06:02 PM
marshcroft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fridsten
I should add also my build number is what Malay confirmed needed for the upgrade to work which is why I took the leap of faith
Old 07-02-2024, 02:59 AM
JBear
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the same setup as you 2002, BOSE, non-MOST. I ended going with the same headunit, 7862. I had some questions for some of the steps, see questions below, was hoping you could help clarify a few things for me, I would really appreciate it. Was looking to tackle this tomorrow.

Originally Posted by SLOWPOKEMD
I just installed the aliexpress headunit... I followed the instructions on this thread and thought I would try to pay it forward with my observations that may help someone else....

MY CAR: 2002 996 turbo 6spd (BOSE, non-MOST); had a pre-existing double-din headunit with rear-view camera that I installed 12-ish years ago.
* I ordered the DSP 7862 8GB RAM (128GB ROM) from Sadocom on Aliexpress. Seller indicated the 7862 processor is the fastest and recommended it. I also ordered the headunit with CANBUS and BOSE per seller's advice, but I didn't use them and don't believe they are needed.

Almost plug and play.
  • Audio out L/R RCA cables to L/R RCA cables... I didn't use LOC or splitters. Not sure if I have fader capability, but I don't use it anyway. Sound is great and comes out of all my speakers, as far as I can tell.
  • Amp blue line to amp blue line... prewired with male and female plug (required to get sound).
  • Green square plug to green square plug (not sure what this does or if connecting these is necessary, but I did).
The only modification required was to get illumination as described in the thread....
  • briefly, the orange wire goes from black harness power plug and into the 6th position in the large radio harness.... i cut the orange wire it in the middle and the part going into the white plug is left dangling.
  • there are two harnesses provided, but you only need one. I took a connecting pin from the other harness and connected that to the orange wire. QUESTION: I assume you are referring the LIGHT ORANGE wire that goes from the BLACK radio plug to the WHITE radio plug? I'm not seeing a ORANGE wire in the large harness that connects to the wire harness in the car. A bit confused on what I'm doing here, maybe I'm missing a step relating to the illumination described in detail somewhere else in this thread?
A few observations:
  • Red ACC line (long wire) - this did not need to be connected for me. In fact, when I did connect it to a switched 12V, the engine wouldn't shut off unless I fully removed the key (no good).
  • Reverse line for rear camera goes to male plug (leave female dangling) QUESTION: Not sure I understand this step, if I didn't get a REVERSE camera, I assume can I just ignore this step?
  • Radio antenna - there is a small metal plug adapter to go from factory radio antenna into headunit. I think the antenna with the wires is for a powered antenna, which I do not have and so did not use this.
  • I didn't connect 4G antenna
  • There is a bunch of other stuff not needed: eg - there is a separate harness for CANBUS and another module for BOSE-MOST that I did not use (PS - for the illumination, I removed a pin from this CANBUS harness to use in my harness).
So almost plug and play. Works great.
Thanks for this thread for helping me figure it out... hopefully the above helps someone with the same BOST/pre-MOST car.
Now just working on settings...

PS - I also added the external TPMS from Sadocom. The valve covers look goofy... but its handy and seems to work well.

PPS - I did not use shims. The Aliexpress headunit comes with a cage that I positioned by reusing a frame that came with my previous aftermarket headunit, and I secured the aliexpress cage to the car by screwing into the plastic outer molding (near the lower buttons (above the wiper adjustment and the cigarette lighter) on each side of the horseshoe. My unit sticks out a little, but it's secure and I don't mind.
Much appreciated.

Last edited by JBear; 07-02-2024 at 03:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Pccm+ aliexpress clone review and pics / install