No A/C and lots of foam from vents

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 04:21 PM
Tito 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s65e90
You won't have good heat.
thank you! Down here in South Florida we're good then.
Old 09-08-2023, 04:43 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

I’ll see if his work order describes it - this guy ran a garage called Joe’s Last Chance Garage and focused on Porsches - he did unbelievable work on my 996 and my Cayenne for great prices. He had a separate huge garage with lifts at his house and documented every procedure with pictures as he did whatever was needed. Have nothing but great things to say about him but he has retired from working on cars. He advertised this fix on his Facebook page for Porsche owners.
Old 09-08-2023, 04:45 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

I also had plenty of you guys call BS when I had him do CV/axle work for what he charged me until I posted the invoice 😜
Old 09-08-2023, 05:22 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,567 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
I also had plenty of you guys call BS when I had him do CV/axle work for what he charged me until I posted the invoice 😜
I’m not calling BS on anyone. I just want to know how he did it.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:59 PM
jtt99
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the vid mentioned above I viewed several years ago and the fellow was able to do it in a very short period of time because he had it down pat because of the number he had repaired. There is a problem that develops after all the foam is gone and that is most of the AC flow then goes to the defroster which causes condensation in hot humid weather on the inside and outside of the glass. There is a aftermarket piece that can be placed over the defroster vents to help prevent the condensation I've seen advertised.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:03 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 178 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JBear
For $70 I'm guessing around 30 minutes to fix. Is there some creative way he could have used spray foam or something like that?, without taking everything apart? Maybe a few well placed holes, borescope, and spray foam? Just spit balling here.
I like the spit balling here. I can't see a way to fix it as you've described.

I've torn it apart up front to remove the heater core and repair the blend door. It looked fine, but as soon as I touched it, the foam shed off just brushing against it. Not hard but is time consuming. I'd say just over 2 hours to get the blend door out and fixed and reinstall everything. If I do it on one of my other 3 turbos, probably 1.5 hours. I only lost one bolt and one speed nut thingy. Not bad...

I covered the metal door holes with aluminum tape on both sides. I took lots of pictures. Might put something together. I'm also making a plastic cap to put over the cut off cap, so as not to use the plumber putty stuff (dum-dum putty I think he called it). Once this is done, I need to troubleshoot the no-A/C situation.

http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
The following users liked this post:
s65e90 (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 06:44 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 823 Likes on 570 Posts

Has anyone read my post? It's not hard, just super tedious and if you use the right tape, there's literally no reason to cut the HVAC suitcase apart.
Old 09-09-2023, 07:15 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by RennKit-Dave
I like the spit balling here. I can't see a way to fix it as you've described.

I've torn it apart up front to remove the heater core and repair the blend door. It looked fine, but as soon as I touched it, the foam shed off just brushing against it. Not hard but is time consuming. I'd say just over 2 hours to get the blend door out and fixed and reinstall everything. If I do it on one of my other 3 turbos, probably 1.5 hours. I only lost one bolt and one speed nut thingy. Not bad...

I covered the metal door holes with aluminum tape on both sides. I took lots of pictures. Might put something together. I'm also making a plastic cap to put over the cut off cap, so as not to use the plumber putty stuff (dum-dum putty I think he called it). Once this is done, I need to troubleshoot the no-A/C situation.
That looks like mine did when refitted with the 3M tape. I had simple heater core failure and the ever present foam, so no "shortcut" other than just re-covering the top part of the blend door. I can't recall how we handled the cutting of that cap upon removal, but good idea your fabricating a new piece. For that would be an awful place to experience coolant loss! Car has enough of those as is. Two hours was exactly how long we took.

Good job, and good luck diagnosing the A/C situation.
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (09-09-2023)

Quick Reply: No A/C and lots of foam from vents