Hardwiring V1 into 996 TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 10:52 AM
AndyW
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hardwiring V1 into 996 TT

Hi,

Has anyone hardwired a Valentine One into their 996 TT ? A little while back, I attended a Porsche meet in Palo Alto and noticed a few cars with them that appeared hardwired. I *thought* I also saw some kind of custom rear view mirror job that had the 'arrows' in there. Not sure if that was a nice dressing, or real.

Thanks for any help, in advance,

Andy
Old 05-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy,
I have a V1 hardwired into my TT, and I love it. I actually have it hardwired into all my cars --I just transfer the unit to the car I'm driving. The V1 is a superb detector. Highly recommend it. No knowledge about special rearview mirror displays.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:43 PM
NC Bob
Instructor

Piece of cake. Mount the V-1 up on the windscreen to the left of the mirror. Run the black power cord around the inside molding and down to where there is a crease in the dash (If the black cord falls out of the molding, ball up a small amount of electrical tape and push it in the molding to hold the cord). Use a plastic putty knife so you don't scratch the glass or the dash. Push the cord in the dash crease and run it under the dash to the center console. Gently pull of the LH side panels. One is leather and the other is carpeted. Inside the console, you will find a plug that is normally used for the phone. In that plug assembly, look for a green/black wire. That wire is "switched". Strip off about three fourths of an inch off the red power wire, fold it double and insert it in to the plug that corresponds with the green/black wire. Wrap tape around the plug to hold in the red wire. Find a suitable ground, re-attach the panels and your done. Takes about 30 minutes.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Slate02X50
AutoX

I agree that the rear view mirror with the arrows and warnings integrated is BY FAR the best way to go! I have seen it, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Where can you purchase this replacement rear view mirror with integrated warnings?
Old 05-07-2004, 01:48 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Beastpower used to sell it but they stopped...
Only place I know is AI design but the mirror alone is around $1,000 - too much IMO...
Checkout KPV's V1 install as I think it is better than in the mirror where it isnt really directly in sight at all times.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Fantod
Advanced

The VH1 also comes with a splice/clip.
You can use that to attach the red power wire to the green/black wire
that NC Bob explained.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:48 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Personally I prefer the remote just down from the line-of-site to the road (but I'm sure you could get used to it anywhere).......but also, you wouldn't want the trooper to see the illuminated display in the mirror if he pulled up behind.

Old 05-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Jgordon
Racer

Have you guys done any testing on whether the tinted band at the top of the windshield causes any loss of range?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2004, 08:05 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

The guys at V1 will tell ya that generally nothing wrong w/the tint (but give you a way to test yours for sure......I forget)......the black speckled area way up at the edge & sides is a no-no though.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:51 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

another point - altyhough the mirror setup looks cool it is really pointless as you still need the V1 unit somewhere wher it can detect radar...some people put it inside the dash or something but then you lose all laser functionality...
Old 05-07-2004, 11:05 PM
RK 996 Turbo
5th Gear

Andy:

I had a car stereo shop hard wire mine for me (Custom Car Stereo in Houston)....in fact, they have handled all of my cars, from my 1st 993 to my 996 TT. Just as NC Bob mentioned, I have my left of my mirror and it works great.

rk
Old 05-07-2004, 11:10 PM
steve c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine is mounted to the side of the passenger visor, clipped between the roof liner and the roof. Reception is fine, the tint has zero effect.

The easiest power is off of the LED light that is at the base of the rearview mirror. A couple of line clamps is all it takes -- done in under 5 minutes.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Mine is not hardwired. I mount the V1 as low on the windshield (and centered) as I can.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:29 AM
AndyW
Instructor

Thanks John, I have it hardwired into my Z, and now looking to find a way to hardwire it into my Porsche. I'm usually pretty brave about being a DIY and was looking for any advice/help from others who might have done the same. Sorry for not being clearer. And thanks for the response.

Originally posted by Johninrsf
Andy,
I have a V1 hardwired into my TT, and I love it. I actually have it hardwired into all my cars --I just transfer the unit to the car I'm driving. The V1 is a superb detector. Highly recommend it. No knowledge about special rearview mirror displays.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:31 AM
AndyW
Instructor

Wow, awesome, thanks !!!

Originally posted by NC Bob
Piece of cake. Mount the V-1 up on the windscreen to the left of the mirror. Run the black power cord around the inside molding and down to where there is a crease in the dash (If the black cord falls out of the molding, ball up a small amount of electrical tape and push it in the molding to hold the cord). Use a plastic putty knife so you don't scratch the glass or the dash. Push the cord in the dash crease and run it under the dash to the center console. Gently pull of the LH side panels. One is leather and the other is carpeted. Inside the console, you will find a plug that is normally used for the phone. In that plug assembly, look for a green/black wire. That wire is "switched". Strip off about three fourths of an inch off the red power wire, fold it double and insert it in to the plug that corresponds with the green/black wire. Wrap tape around the plug to hold in the red wire. Find a suitable ground, re-attach the panels and your done. Takes about 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: Hardwiring V1 into 996 TT