Sponsored by:

North American 996 Turbo Production Data

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 12:18 PM
deskinazi
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Amazing! Tons of work! Thanks for doing this. When got my car a year ago, I tried to do some of this (not in the detail you have) and got nowhere (except very high level stats).
Old 10-17-2022, 02:27 PM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by SVTto2JZ
Awesome stuff - thank you OP! Makes me appreciate my car just that much more.

Question - does anyone know the option code that distinguishes a car with leather in the frunk? My car is one of the only leather frunks I have seen but not sure if I have been able to track down a specific option that denotes that.
thanks
Kyle
Pics of the leather frunk?
Old 10-17-2022, 02:50 PM
lowmiler
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sdematt
Pics of the leather frunk?

The leather frunk is the bigfoot of frunks. We have heard that it might exist, but have yet to see one in the wild.
The following users liked this post:
sdematt (10-17-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 10:54 AM
firstorbit
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much for putting this together! I will definitely use some of my excel magic to help improve this. Actually I will probably put it into sheets and make a portable web app in case anyone is interested in having a fancy front end to view the data.
Mike Mullins (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 05:57 PM
KPexEA
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, thanks so much for working on this!

I found out my Orient Red Metallic 996 turbo (62 made) is the only Canadian one in that color.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:22 PM
driftindaddy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 2001 turbo Guards Red with some options you don't have listed. Let me know if you are interested in details VIN last 6 digits are 687307
Old 10-21-2022, 02:13 AM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by KPexEA
Awesome, thanks so much for working on this!

I found out my Orient Red Metallic 996 turbo (62 made) is the only Canadian one in that color.

Huh, I never saw you around when I was in Van. When did you get the car?
Old 10-24-2022, 01:11 PM
c041v_
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by driftindaddy
I have an 2001 turbo Guards Red with some options you don't have listed. Let me know if you are interested in details VIN last 6 digits are 687307
Note that your car came with the E70 Package, which includes: **Options bundle incl. XJ4 XKL XMP XMZ XN3 XNG XNN XNU XV1 XY5. The hood sticker shows almost of these, which can seem like additional options, but for simplicity's sake, I only list the Packages in my sheet as there are hundreds of individual options code by element (wipers, cruise control, air conditioning, 4-wheel drive, etc) which would take forever to catalogue and I assumed nobody cares to see that their car came with air conditioning or a charcoal filter.

If you have options that are not listed in the package breakdown above, let me know via PM, and I will happily make edits to the sheet.

I'm still working through Cabrios. Hopefully by Xmas. I will also have Rev 2 of the initial sheet, with hopefully all of the 2001's completed. A few folks have reached out and I am rapidly filling in the blanks for the early VIN's.

Last edited by c041v_; 10-24-2022 at 01:13 PM.
moburki (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 12:39 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts

Perfect supporting data for a 996 Turbo registry,
Just a thought
Great job on all the work on this
DanF (10-31-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 12:09 PM
misterted
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

This is awesome. I just picked up a Cabriolet so I would love to see Cabriolet numbers.
Thank you!
Rob Price (05-26-2024)
Old 10-28-2022, 01:56 PM
c041v_
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

A preview of the Cabriolet world, which has some marked differences from the coupes: There are a non-trivial number of what I will describe as "Dealer-ordered" cars. The exact spec for this car appears often, either in Arctic Silver or Black, always Tiptronic. It will highly skew the overall numbers and rarity of certain colours and options. I say "Dealer ordered", as the spec always includes the same options and the VIN's are sequential in blocks. No way a collector or individual buyer was ordering this many exact cars. You'll notice this happening a bit with the coupes, but nowhere near as much.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:27 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts

Really looking forward to the cab data.
Old 10-28-2022, 02:53 PM
misterted
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by c041v_
A preview of the Cabriolet world, which has some marked differences from the coupes: There are a non-trivial number of what I will describe as "Dealer-ordered" cars. The exact spec for this car appears often, either in Arctic Silver or Black, always Tiptronic. It will highly skew the overall numbers and rarity of certain colours and options. I say "Dealer ordered", as the spec always includes the same options and the VIN's are sequential in blocks. No way a collector or individual buyer was ordering this many exact cars. You'll notice this happening a bit with the coupes, but nowhere near as much.
Interesting but actually makes sense for the high end dealers selling status symbols above market.
Mine is a manual.
Interested when available.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:30 PM
FliBi
1st Gear

Originally Posted by c041v_
As some may know, I've had something of a little hobby over the past 7 months compiling the data for all North American 996 Turbos (and Turbo S'). I am nearly done, but the requests are outweighing my ability to respond effectively. I have attached the spreadsheet I have built along with a number of clarifications;

- The sheets are all effectively locked. There is some ability to enter 3 options for each year in the light green cells for any 3 options. (450 + X50 +XAF) for example. Everything else is locked as I have probably 150 hours into this exercise and I don't want people messing with it.
- I'm pretty decent with excel, but have not figured out a clean way to select iterative options to build out a car - keep in mind that the highest build sheet has something like 42 unique options, which makes for an unwieldy interface, 3 options is all anyone gets for now.
- The 2001 data is incomplete. Everything falls apart for the early VIN's and I still have another 800 potentials or so left to check. I wouldn't bother looking for anything prior to 686026 as it gets spotty. You'll see that I have some entries, but there's work to do. These missing cars could affect the statistics in a material way, at least for MY2001 cars.
- Grey cells are for VIN's with no data and what I surmise to generally (but not exclusively) be an unused VIN.
- Yellow, blue, orange or green cells on the Model Year VIN tabs mean that there is some issue with the data. It either has conflicting information or doesn't fit the Options criteria the way it should. Thankfully, there aren't many of these.
- The "Notes" tab is a brief summary of what I found as I was putting this together. There's some odd/neat quirks in the data.
- I will not disclose how I obtained the data, but I will say that if anyone has a more complete source, I'd love to see it.
- The "Stats" tab has everything summarized. Again, I need more excel knowledge to better categorize the Options UI, so for now, I have some limited data breakdowns.
- The "Opt. Stat" tab is a summary of the take rates and prices. It is important to understand what was offered each year as some options change names between model years, or are added/deleted.
- Not all colours are offered all years. I have this info in some hidden tabs from the Order Guides. For example, "Biarritz White" was only offered in MY 2001, and then "Carrara White" was offered for MY 2002+
- Cabriolets are a coming attraction.
- I may do 996 GT cars, but these are a bit more known in terms of the statistics and imports are changing the true numbers a bit.
- I'm not sure if a mod can allow this thread to be edited in terms of the attachment, I would like to take any feedback in this thread and make sure the latest version of the sheet is available for download.

Overall, I want to release this information here to not only answer questions I couldn't find any succinct or verified answers to, but to build on those answers. It is still incomplete and as one can see, I do audit a number of the cars with links in order to verify the correctness of the data, as something of a QC check. I will happily take requests to make the sheet more useable and add data if people have VIN's or relevant information. I was hoping to have more sales history and crashed car info, but a lot of the sites restrict that information. Unless someone wants to fund me to grab the reports, this is what I can easily find for free. I offer this information to the community as my way to paying it forward to those who have helped me. This data was a bear to collect and present, as I have combed just about every single thread and forum on the internet to find whatever I could related to 996 Turbo production. There were a number of Rennlist threads that helped me and a few other internet gems I discovered along the way, so thank you for that!

Can’t wait to see what you provide about my ‘04 X50 Cab!
Old 10-31-2022, 02:26 PM
DanF
1st Gear

This data is awesome. Something I thought we would never see for these cars.

My car is in there, which is cool to see.

Not many made in my spec, 2001 Black Metallic - Natural Brown - Manual - Sport seats (P77)

Will have to try to find examples of Black / Black Metallic / Basalt Black in the same parking lot and see if i can tell a difference...
I have been asked if my car is dark brown a couple times over the last 12 years...

Thank you for the effort of pulling this together.

Quick Reply: North American 996 Turbo Production Data