Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Chinese coilovers on my Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 11:56 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 409 Likes on 290 Posts

You unbolt the axle at the diff. To my memory I didn't have to take a whole lot apart to get it to pull out. There's youtube videos, Feal has a 996 install video also, it is very similar to the Turbo.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:18 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
You unbolt the axle at the diff. To my memory I didn't have to take a whole lot apart to get it to pull out. There's youtube videos, Feal has a 996 install video also, it is very similar to the Turbo.
thanks, i ended up just taking the axle nut off and disconnecting the carrier to swing it down... passenger side is back together but i've learned what i can get away with...
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 12:53 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Be careful with the ABS wiring when working around it. I wiggled mine a bit too much when I swapped an axle last year and started having ABS faults after. Ended up having to splice in a chassis harness repair kit to fix it.

Got my coilovers a week ago, can't wait to install them!
The following users liked this post:
kamlung (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 12:55 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Be careful with the ABS wiring when working around it. I wiggled mine a bit too much when I swapped an axle last year and started having ABS faults after. Ended up having to splice in a chassis harness repair kit to fix it.

Got my coilovers a week ago, can't wait to install them!
Feals? What options did you get?
Old 05-31-2022, 02:35 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Feals? What options did you get?
​​​​​​Yep
441, standard springs, radial bearing upgrade, covers and extended adjusters.
Daily driver street car
Old 05-31-2022, 04:51 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
​​​​​​Yep
441, standard springs, radial bearing upgrade, covers and extended adjusters.
Daily driver street car
Sounds good. Post up your review when you get some time on them. I'm surprised no one is ordering a bit stiffer Swift springs.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:50 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

just for future reference for anyone doing the install, i found a few DIYs and different methods with the front install. as some have already referenced in this thread, you can disconnect the axle from the differential to allow slack to articulate the wheel carrier... i decided to undo the axle nut so that when you angle the strut out, the axle pops out of the carrier/wheel knuckle... i disconnected the front tie rod, and swung the control arm out of the way but left the lower ball joint connected so that everything could pivot on the wishbone. just make sure you have a jack or bucket underneath to support everything that drops down...

as the strut assembly swings down, with the axle nut disconnected, the carrier will disconnect from the axle, then you can pull the strut and spring out of the carrier... as others have noted, take notice of abs sensors, brake lines, and the axle splines... i used a plastic deadblow hammer to tap and then check you aren't binding anything...

the one thing i noticed was that the bottom of the BC racing coilover has a weld on it that hangs when you try to slide the assembly into the carrier... i pryed the carrier a little for some clearance, cleaned up the inside and then used previously mentioned dead blow to tap the carrier into the coilover... i left everything loose and jacked up from the lower ball joint to align the top bolts through the fender...

if you find the top hanging up on the holes that go through the fender, you can twist the carrier to get some angle on the coilover and then gently tap with deadblow hammer... i'm waiting on new axle nuts, i just put the old one one to pull everything back together...

anyone want a used set of special rust edition H&R lowering springs? never seen rain or snow, i know what i got no lowballs... PP or Venmo accepted, PM me for details, these won't last!!!

these springs looked past it... i'm guessing they were probably 20+ yrs old...

Old 05-31-2022, 05:53 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,130 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Awesome.

Do I understand correctly that the black shroud around the spring is an airbag?

Does your turbo now have FAL????

You will like FAL, if so equipped...
Old 05-31-2022, 06:00 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Awesome.

Do I understand correctly that the black shroud around the spring is an airbag?

Does your turbo now have FAL????

You will like FAL, if so equipped...
yes that's an aircup to raise the front suspension over speedbumps and driveway curbs... whenever i pull into my garage, i have to drive on ramps to clear the scissor lift... even with the ramps, i hear the underbelly pans rubbing on top of the lift... i've already cracked the lower wind deflector on the front driver fender liner... with these i can raise the front 2" whenever needed... i will get all the mechanicals on, then wire up the compressor and air lines in the winter when the car is down... i just want the car drivable so i can enjoy it with the nice weather...

they are from the Netherlands and work mostly with BC racing. it's the main reason why i went with BC setup... i like that it's a cup instead of a bag because it isn't always inflated, so if the system fails the car is still drivable... I did the front only for now and will see if i eventually need them for the back...
https://www.stanceparts.com/
Old 05-31-2022, 06:33 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,130 Likes on 3,125 Posts

I have FAL (Front Axle Lift) on the 991 and it works wonders for steep approaches, however, they can still get you if your approach is wrong.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:56 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Should be getting mine soon

I ordered the 441+ with swift spring, bearing tops and shock covers.

I hope installation is not too difficult. My friend and I will be installing them then corner balancing.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:55 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
I ordered the 441+ with swift spring, bearing tops and shock covers.

I hope installation is not too difficult. My friend and I will be installing them then corner balancing.
Did you get firmer springs?
Old 06-20-2022, 08:57 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 131 Posts

Did you get firmer springs?
just the upgraded Swift springs that come in the 441+ package. I think they are stiffer but not by much.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:35 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

I encourage you guys to order up some stiffer Swift springs. My handling is insane.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:12 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I encourage you guys to order up some stiffer Swift springs. My handling is insane.
What rates did you go with?

Quick Reply: Installing Chinese coilovers on my Turbo.