Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to avoid mess draining oil tank?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 02:13 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

I also prefer changing oil cold on all cars that I own. There are always a few drops here or there, but no catastrophic spillage. I use a large piece of cardboard under the area, and oil catch jug waiting for oil, fast hands with the plug.

I have used the suction method from above on other cars...it's so easy it feels like cheating. On my V10 Audi the filter is up top so the oil change is literally mess free and so easy...I could do it in a suit. On cars where the filter is located below, I drain from below.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:24 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Porsche specifies the oil should be at 70 degrees centigrade. Not cold.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:23 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Porsche made an IMS bearing... they're not all-knowing.
They also make a good chunk of change doing service work... they'd be fools to tell people they couldn't drive their cars to the dealership for service.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:40 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 176 Posts

I change mine on a two post lift with a 20 gallon Portable Oil Lift Drain, but still get some splatter. I just put a piece of cardboard under the drain.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:25 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
.. they'd be fools to tell people they couldn't drive their cars to the dealership for service.
This really has nothing to do with it.

Your are down in southern Florida. If your car is parked out in the sun or in a hot garage the oil is plenty warm enough to change. Us folks at the northern end of the country do really need to warn it up otherwise the condensation in the crank case can trap some the impurities we are trying to flush out of there.
The following users liked this post:
kmagnuss (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 06:46 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

+1 for the not hot oil change. I do mine cold ( California cold) and did not get a single drop on the floor last time.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:41 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera

Your are down in southern Florida. If your car is parked out in the sun or in a hot garage the oil is plenty warm enough to change. Us folks at the northern end of the country do really need to warn it up otherwise the condensation in the crank case can trap some the impurities we are trying to flush out of there.
Agree. When I say "cold" the oil is 70F or warmer. I used to live in MN and that brown oil condensate sludge is nasty in the winter.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:23 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera

Very true... sometimes I forget about winter. It was in the 60's today... I almost put on a jacket. Brrrr.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:10 AM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Put it on the lift, raise it up and put a waste oil drain tank under it. Not very messy. I use this write up https://rennkit.com/wp-content/uploa...structions.pdf
Old 11-18-2019, 02:22 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

I do a warm to hot oil change with the car on ramps. I use a large oil catch basin and drain all four drain points.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:41 AM
pancing
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
Very true... sometimes I forget about winter. It was in the 60's today... I almost put on a jacket. Brrrr.
i walked out today and there was frost! Wierd seeing frost in central florida
Old 11-23-2019, 01:45 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,523 Posts

To avoid mess:

1. Use a BIG drain pan. I love using a Rubbermade Roughneck 10 gallon tote. about 24" x 16" x 8". And it has a tight fitting lid so I can leave the oil in it until I get a chance to transfer it into jugs for recycle, or just bring the whole tote to the auto parts place for dumping in their tank... And there only $8 at home depot.

Those purpose-built oil drain pans with a sort of funnel built into the top are a freaking disaster with 6+ quarts of hot oil shooting out.

2. Remove the oil fill cap before draining! If your not doing this, try it... Instead of the oil coming out glug-glug-glug and splashing all over the place, you;'ll get a smooth laminar flow.

3. Hell no to a moving blanket, I want any spills to go on my epoxy concrete floor where they are easy to clean up.

4. As mentioned, just let the oil plug drop in the pan and fish it out. with the super big oil pan, the oil won't be all that deep.

5. Gloves on hands and a roll of shop towels nearby for the tiny splashes and overflow....

6. If you're doing frequent changes, don't bother with the turbo drains except maybe every third or fourth oil change. Very minimal amount of oil...

If you try to use something like this, I can pretty much guarantee you will regret it!

Attached Images  

Last edited by pfbz; 11-23-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:37 PM
Diego
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I cut about a 6 or 7 inch hole in the bottom of a plastic 5 gallon pail and then place the pail upside down into the oil drain pan container. Then I position it so the hole that was cut in the bottom of the pail is centred with the reservoir drain plug and a few inches below it. The oil splashes on the inside of the bucket instead of all over the garage floor. Then I clean up the bucket with paper towels and put it away for next time. I always change oil on a warm engine but let it cool just enough so I am not burning my hands on anything.

Quick Reply: Any way to avoid mess draining oil tank?