Sponsored by:

May long road trip....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 10:43 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 886 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
It automatically integrates into the MOST system and works with Bose stuff in the later 996 turbos? I have an 03 and want to put in a double din Apple Car play unit soon.

If you have Bose you'll need a converter to work with the existing stuff. Or you can remove the factory stuff altogether.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:55 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

That convertor for the 997? I figured that. I don't want to replace the entire Bose system, not ready to spend the $$$ for new speakers and amps.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:09 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,186 Likes on 3,165 Posts

That was exactly why I opted to go this way, the converter was considerably less than ripping everything out and rebuilding.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:01 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

An update from my stereo guys; apparently the MOST-H.U.R. 955 Fiber Optic Head Unit replacement for select Porsche vehicles... DOES NOT WORK WITH A 2003, or newer system. Am getting the new amp and wiring... dam it!
Old 05-10-2019, 09:05 PM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
An update from my stereo guys; apparently the MOST-H.U.R. 955 Fiber Optic Head Unit replacement for select Porsche vehicles... DOES NOT WORK WITH A 2003, or newer system. Am getting the new amp and wiring... dam it!
Not surprised. Ran into the same thing with my MB.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:21 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Odd indeed - so now I'm going old school Rockford Fosgate ... will be posting in the AM.

Cheers,
Old 05-11-2019, 07:08 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So, all in! They even got the Passport Jameer/Shifter thing working - I am not sure if laser frequencies have changed much over the last 15 or so years, but we will see.

Pluses - it sounds WAY better than the factory PCM did and the hands free phone connection is spectacular; I could not only be heard clearly, but driving the phone through the stereo is way better for those of use with failing hearing.

Negatives - I have a Google Pixel phone and even though it is one of two phones that work wirelessly through Android Car Play, we simply could not get it to work when the USB was plugged in. This will require a little investigating on my behalf as the fellows that put it in were somewhat at a loss.

After I took it back to my shop, I was unable to open the car from the drivers side. Back to the install guys, they took everything apart, told me it was ready, then it wouldn't open from inside our outside the car. It would appear a little pin on the handle vaporized through the installation, so a little nut and bolt was used to replace it. Seems to work, not wild about the little nut and bolt - will investigate further with my body guy.

And finally, in the course of getting everything out and rewired, one of the factory Bose speakers was dropped and cracked the frame. The guys replaced it at there cost, and I must say the entire system sounds way better.

Would I recommend? Absolutely.

New steering wheel, sways, bushings, end links at exhaust tips going in Monday!
Old 05-12-2019, 10:01 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 886 Likes on 599 Posts

So, all in! They even got the Passport Jameer/Shifter thing working - I am not sure if laser frequencies have changed much over the last 15 or so years, but we will see.

Pluses - it sounds WAY better than the factory PCM did and the hands free phone connection is spectacular; I could not only be heard clearly, but driving the phone through the stereo is way better for those of use with failing hearing.

Negatives - I have a Google Pixel phone and even though it is one of two phones that work wirelessly through Android Car Play, we simply could not get it to work when the USB was plugged in. This will require a little investigating on my behalf as the fellows that put it in were somewhat at a loss.

After I took it back to my shop, I was unable to open the car from the drivers side. Back to the install guys, they took everything apart, told me it was ready, then it wouldn't open from inside our outside the car. It would appear a little pin on the handle vaporized through the installation, so a little nut and bolt was used to replace it. Seems to work, not wild about the little nut and bolt - will investigate further with my body guy.

And finally, in the course of getting everything out and rewired, one of the factory Bose speakers was dropped and cracked the frame. The guys replaced it at there cost, and I must say the entire system sounds way better.

Would I recommend? Absolutely.

New steering wheel, sways, bushings, end links at exhaust tips going in Monday!

Nice. Check the forums for the radio/car play issue. Unfortunately my Samsung Note 8 also doesn't work when plugged into the radio so no WAZE. Sucks. They (Pioneer) were aware and supposed to be working on a fix.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:25 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s65e90
Nice. Check the forums for the radio/car play issue. Unfortunately my Samsung Note 8 also doesn't work when plugged into the radio so no WAZE. Sucks. They (Pioneer) were aware and supposed to be working on a fix.
Thanks, I will try and look into that this afternoon - funny how all Android's are not created equal - We literally spent an hour trying all different configs, uninstalling/installing the app and so forth; it just seemed to hate he cable.

Sure does sound good though!
Old 05-12-2019, 03:49 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,535 Posts

After many years of dreaming about driving a German GT through our fabulous mountains...
Car is ready, major service down, now time to plan on the enjoyment of the drive.
A question to those who have done similar drives; anything I should pack for and expect?
Looks like an awesome trip!

I'd say one of the higher probability failure that could cause a big delay is non-repairable tire punctures... Getting Turbo tires in the middle of nowhere can be a challenge, especially if you are running something like a 315/30-18 245/40-18 combo. Wouldn't be the worst idea to have a matching front and rear tire stashed away at a friends house who could express ship them to you on the road if needed.

It's not that long of a trip, or that remote of an area, but I used to do some long distance moto trips in very remote areas out of the country, and tires were one of the things that shut you down quicker and more frequently and quicker than anything else, and a real pain to carry spare tires...
Old 05-12-2019, 07:39 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Looks like an awesome trip!

I'd say one of the higher probability failure that could cause a big delay is non-repairable tire punctures... Getting Turbo tires in the middle of nowhere can be a challenge, especially if you are running something like a 315/30-18 245/40-18 combo. Wouldn't be the worst idea to have a matching front and rear tire stashed away at a friends house who could express ship them to you on the road if needed.

It's not that long of a trip, or that remote of an area, but I used to do some long distance moto trips in very remote areas out of the country, and tires were one of the things that shut you down quicker and more frequently and quicker than anything else, and a real pain to carry spare tires...
Thank you Sir; as mentioned earlier in the post, most certainly a 'bucket list trip'!

I am thinking about leaving my spare in town - after looking at it, and although it has never had air in, seems to be bleeding a lot of white, so I am not sure how reliable it may be in a pinch. I think I may put some air in this week. If it looks reasonable, and tire sealant doesn't seal the deal (couldn't resist...), I may feel comfortable with that arrangement...

Will be posting along the way!
Old 05-12-2019, 07:46 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So, I have removed Android Car Play from the equation with the Pioneer head unit - I got into the car this AM and everything went seriously wonky and the head unit caused my phone to go into 'reboot' mode... Once removed, and connected via Bluetooth (or cable) no issues whatsoever; and has the added bonus that I found the Pioneer headunit GUI way easier to use. Although I may have had a bad experience with this piece of software, others may not. I'm not going to have time to try and chase a fix this week, but would like to hear others experiences, if there are any.

And my door (drivers) wouldn't open again. This seems to be connected to the auto locks, but once you get it open, and do not lock the car again, seems to be no problem, from both the inside and outside. Am thinking something may be over/under tightened, but it's going to the wrench tomorrow, so hopefully all will right with the world.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:47 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

New SE exhaust tips in from John@Speetech; thank you Sir, they look awesome!
Old 05-14-2019, 07:19 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Flat bottomed wheel is in, and I love it! Hoping the bloody door can be fixed in a timely manner!
Old 05-14-2019, 07:24 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Flat bottomed wheel is in, and I love it!
Very nice.

Quick Reply: May long road trip....