Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum-61/)
-   -   May long road trip.... (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/1141393-may-long-road-trip.html)

2fcknfst 05-03-2019 07:34 PM

May long road trip....

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2d3ef57617.png
After many years of dreaming about driving a German GT through our fabulous mountains, in a few short weeks I will finally realize the dream!

Car is ready, major service down, now time to plan on the enjoyment of the drive.

A question to those who have done similar drives; anything I should pack for and expect?

The run is going to be around 2200KMS, I want to make sure it's fun and reliable! Previous long road trip commentary welcome!!!

Cheers,

Dock 05-03-2019 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst (Post 15816918)
A question to those who have done similar drives; anything I should pack for and expect?

I've driven one of my sports cars on long cross country trips seven times. The shortest distance one way was over 2,000 miles, and the longest was over 2,400 miles. My advice is to expect the unexpected.

Have fun.

2fcknfst 05-03-2019 09:02 PM

Very nice Dock, usually when I go across country, I am in at least a truck, and usually pulling a trailer, so I am pretty excited about this. I have done a similar trip in the M5, Subaru, Integra, Lincoln and a few other cars,but this is the first time in a German GT...

And yes, always expect the unexpected - I was just wondering if there was a certain kind of Turbo UN-unexpectedness to be aware of...

Dock 05-03-2019 09:10 PM

What's your previous longest trip in the 996 Turbo?

2fcknfst 05-03-2019 09:22 PM

To go out and see a friend of mine in the valley; 120 miles round trip...

32krazy! 05-03-2019 09:25 PM

aaa card, spare tire, small assortment of tools, tire change kit, jack ,flashlight, cell charger,rainsuit, gloves, lug nut tool if you have locks, plastic sheet to lay on the ground, think of what you might need at noight since thats when crap hits the fan

Dock 05-03-2019 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst (Post 15817131)
To go out and see a friend of mine in the valley; 120 miles round trip...

Do you have the stock seats?

mrtoro 05-03-2019 10:10 PM

Longest I have done was about 1k miles. That was with two kids two weeks ago. Just your wallet and cell phone.

Might add a $20 code reader from amazon, tire repair kit, 12v pump and aaa card. Really nothing to worry much about.

ipman 05-03-2019 11:02 PM

That looks like an incredible trip. Especially through that area. I skied in Golden years ago before it was popular, awesome little place.

Not much to add that has already been said, maybe some fix a flat. Ensure you have the complete tire changing kit from Porsche. And some extra quarts, er liters, of oil. Take pics and report back.

gietl 05-03-2019 11:29 PM

Watching this thread closely, we re road tripping this year that will result in about 3K on the car round trip. The OP's trip plan looks pretty incredible!

Turbodan 05-03-2019 11:58 PM

is all of the snow off the roads? I'd be careful of that. Bring a cell phone, and some great tunes!
post pictures.

Jacob_Seattle 05-04-2019 12:50 AM

Extra oil, fix-a-flat, make sure to check your tire pressure before leaving and make sure all your lights are good. Don't rush, take your time and enjoy it as a 3 day drive. The car will preform perfectly, it is just you as the driver that needs to take car.

I would go with a R3 radar detector if you don't have something built in. Troopers in BC can be a bit strict.

Do you have a co-pilot?

Taylorcar 05-04-2019 01:25 AM

I’ve done the drive from Calgary to Kelowna and back in my turbo and had a blast. Beautiful roads. If you’re doing the drive over the long weekend, try to avoid the roads (or at least the best parts of the journey) during the obvious times there will be long weekend traffic (Friday evening, Saturday mid morning Monday afternoon). Enjoy the drive!

Turbo Racer 05-04-2019 02:54 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun! I think a lot of good advise was already given. I did a road trip years ago in my turbo and while I checked my tires before, or thought I did, I found myself stuck in Denver with two flat rear tires and no one had tires. Problem was that on the outside tread was good but I corded both rear insides so bad they went flat. Happy ending to the story was that I put out an sos on 6 speed and some guy from the boards who lived in Denver brought me a used set of tires and refused to let me pay him anything! Just said, “pay it forward”. Something I will never forget to do.

Enjoy your trip man!

2fcknfst 05-04-2019 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dock (Post 15817163)
Do you have the stock seats?

Yes, stock sport seats, pulled them this winter and re-dyed them!