Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 06:23 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

I would have recommended the 764 pressure plate and the Genuine 964 RS flywheel vs the aluminum with metal friction ring.
The aluminum flywheel creates issue for higher than STOCK power levels on the track.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:51 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

K16/24 hybrid turbos

K16/24 hybrid turbos

K16/24 hybrid turbos
Since we are still waiting on other parts of the build to come together, I’m going to post about the power upgrades. This car is fast and powerful out of the box!

To get some perspective, here are the Porsche 996 turbo specs for a stock car:

https://www.excellence-mag.com/resou...4#.XL4t3IplDxw

in comparison a boxter spec has the following:

https://www.windingroad.com/articles...-spec-boxster/

http://www.porscheclub.com/wp-conten...Spec-Rules.pdf

https://pcaclubracing.org/rules/

these cars are are really light but make only 180-190 hp at the wheels. I’ve seen some really well driven cars haul the mail! Also, they are about $30-40,000 fully built and ready to go.

Spec carrera era is also a really cool class and here are a few stats on these guys:

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2003-Porsche-911/specs/

they have about 315 hp at crank. Pretty darn good for a light and nimble car!

the gt3 cup on the other had is a radical:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/motorspo...turesandspecs/

I badly want this. But honestly I would just be a moving chicane out there lol.

But, and this is a big but (ala J Lo), Porsche gave us the Mezger engine with turbo chargers!! After being on this site for 16 years, I have seen more builds than I can remember that have refuted in crazy horsepower! To all the tuners out there, I have to say, what you guys have come up with is truly amazing.

so to level the playing field a bit and compensate with my “heavy” car....MODS are in order.

‘After asking a ton of questions, I decided to go with K16/24 hybrid turbos. For those who have read my thread on that, I will spare you the torture of going through that all over again. For those who are gluttons for punishment, here’s the link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...for-track.html

we will put a minor tune on the car and that along with the FVD Brombacher exhaust, should be the job done.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:54 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

if you want your car to be fast and yes even nimble weight loss is the key. its not very hard to drop about 300 odd lbs off the car. from there it gets tougher but can be done

rear wiper
foam padding off the carpet
stock seats traded for race seats
lighter battery
remove all parts out of the frunk
lighter stronger wheels
main cross brace under the motor
window the front and rear crash braces
rear seat removal
these are the basics. if you want to go even further consider removing all the sunroof parts and install a non sunroof roof panel. theres a weight loss thread at the top of the forum
Old 04-23-2019, 10:15 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
if you want your car to be fast
Drive it more
Old 04-23-2019, 11:48 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
if you want your car to be fast and yes even nimble weight loss is the key. its not very hard to drop about 300 odd lbs off the car. from there it gets tougher but can be done

these are the basics. if you want to go even further consider removing all the sunroof parts and install a non sunroof roof panel. theres a weight loss thread at the top of the forum
Hey 32krazy!

I think ink this is a great point and this is what we are going to do:

rear wiper — stays for now
foam padding off the carpet — stays for now
stock seats traded for race seats — recaro front seats being installed
lighter battery — have interstate in it for now
remove all parts out of the trunk — done
lighter stronger wheels — OZ allegerita wheels
main cross brace under the motor — stays for now
window the front and rear crash braces — stays for now
rear seat removal — these are gone to make room for the rollcage

i definitely think these will make a difference. I have read a lot about weight loss and it basically is free horsepower and reduces the work the brakes have to stop and cooking brakes is an experience I would like not to repeat!

I found a pretty interesting thread thread about weight loss for our cars and there is just a lot of information on it:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...urbo-list.html

I’m curious to know what my car weighs and I will be putting it on the scale at my next opportunity. That said, the driver can lose a few pounds as well so I’ll be working on that as well.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:51 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Drive it more
yeah buddy! This car is heading up to the track this weekend fingers crossed! I literally bought it and left it at the shop so I am very excited to see what it can do!
Old 04-25-2019, 03:35 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Racer
yeah buddy! This car is heading up to the track this weekend fingers crossed! I literally bought it and left it at the shop so I am very excited to see what it can do!
Right on, have a great time!
Old 04-27-2019, 03:55 PM
Scuderia V
Former Vendor

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice build buddy!

Double check those KW, looks they are not GT3RS version. Probably GT3 or Turbo, but not RS ones. Drop link mounts can be issue on front.

Also if you want to use 996/997 Turbo brake discs with RS uprights, we have needed spacer. As well as OEM spacer for 380mm caliper.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:43 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Well....the weekend came and we still needed some more time. As a few have chimed in about the fitment of the 380mm calipers in front, i was able to go check out things a couple of days ago and I got things confused. The plan has always been to put 997 gt3 brakes in the car. In my case they are the 997.1 brakes and are 350 mm in size. The 997.2 gt3 and gt3rs have the 380 mm front rotors.

So comparing what a stock 996TT has to a gt3 997.1 the sizes are 330mm vs 350 mm. Also, the 996 TT has 4-pod front calipers whereas the gt3 has a 6-pod front caliper. I have read some very interesting threads on this site from some very knowledgeable folks about stopping power and heat dissipation as well as what happens when you change the brake bias. A lot of the stuff goes over my head.

However, for those interested in more details or thinking about changing things I have included a link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...e-project.html

Front disc

Front pads

Front pads

Rear disc

Rear pads

Rear pads

Brake pad front part number

A couple of observations:

1. The rotors are heavy!
2. They are unidirectional
3. They are pretty thick
4. The pads are yellow
5. The pads are very course and when I ran my finger across them, I got the sense of how grippy these things would get when they are hot and hit hard.

As a foot note, I could have gone with 380 mm front calipers and gained even more braking power. In the post I attached, there are some pretty poignant comments about how to do this.

However, if I do that, I would need some hardware adjustments and new wheels because the wheels that I have for this car just don’t have the clearance. The 997.2 gt3rs has 19” wheels and that makes it a lot easier to fit all this good stuff in to the wheel. I am hoping that I will like this setup a lot and I’m looking forward to seeing how well the car stops. So far, in my limited experience, I haven’t found a car yet that I wouldn’t like just a little more brake!
Old 04-30-2019, 11:53 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

check out giro discs, it will save you some unsprung weight, I have RS29 yellows up front, and the P90 yellows in the rear and it's been a good combo, I have a set of black padgid pads thinking of using these in combos for the rears for slightly more added rear bias
Old 04-30-2019, 11:55 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Right on, have a great time!
i did have a great time this weekend! Even though I did not get my car done in time for the event, I was able to bring my other car. I dropped 5 seconds off my previous pb and had a blast! Great friends, great community, great competition, and great expert teaching!

Look beautiful, but man, it was Hot!!!

Mansell 3.4 mile course

p.s. In the background, in the pit, you can spot a GT3R. Those things are scary fast and more like low flying aircraft. Amazing cars!!

Last edited by Turbo Racer; 04-30-2019 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Caption
Old 05-01-2019, 12:32 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

if you have GT3RS why bother with Turbo and all the work to get it set for track?
have fun.
do you have transmission cooler for the turbo car?
Old 05-01-2019, 11:27 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
if you have GT3RS why bother with Turbo and all the work to get it set for track?
+1 on that question.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

^ +2
Old 05-01-2019, 04:29 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,935 Posts

I suspect the answer will be:

'Because I can'...

Hell of a build, that $5k seems to go a long way!

Quick Reply: 996 TT build for track