Sponsored by:

Rear main seal replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 12:31 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 890 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
But you said if they screw it up they shouldn't be working on cars.

And how can they "fix it again" when they didn't fix it the first time?
why not quote the whole post? Then you'd maybe understand. You missed this part, "when you pay a (quality) shop to do it, and understandably if ";

- as it was in response to you and the OP stating people/even good ones make mistakes.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:57 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
why not quote the whole post? Then you'd maybe understand. You missed this part, "when you pay a (quality) shop to do it, and understandably if ";

- as it was in response to you and the OP stating people/even good ones make mistakes.
You stated earlier (my bold): "Again, if you screw it up or the shop you trust screws it up, then you or them shouldn't be working on cars." You then state in a post after that: "Better yet, when you pay a (quality) shop to do it, and understandably if they make an error and it leaks, they fix again for free!" How can you on the one hand opine that if a trusted shop screws it up they shouldn't be working in cars, and on the other hand say that if a quality shop makes an error they "fix it again" (notwithstanding the fact that it's not possible for them to fix something again if they didn't fix it on their first try)? Judging by your first statement, the shop shouldn't get a second chance.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:03 PM
s65e90
Race Car

You stated earlier (my bold): "Again, if you screw it up or the shop you trust screws it up, then you or them shouldn't be working on cars." You then state in a post after that: "Better yet, when you pay a (quality) shop to do it, and understandably if they make an error and it leaks, they fix again for free!" How can you on the one hand opine that if a trusted shop screws it up they shouldn't be working in cars, and on the other hand say that if a quality shop makes an error they "fix it again" (notwithstanding the fact that it's not possible for them to fix something again if they didn't fix it on their first try)? Judging by your first statement, the shop shouldn't get a second chance.
Is this a court of law or the internet?
Old 04-02-2019, 01:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Is this a court of law or the internet?
No, just common sense.

Yes, it's the Internet.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:16 PM
s65e90
Race Car

1. Yes, I said any competent shop shouldn't screw this up. If so, they don't belong working on cars.

OP responds that everyone makes mistakes.

2. I write additional reply acknowledging such, as stated, if a reputable shop does mess up, they fix for free. Although this should be an anomaly if so.

Read between the lines. You'd figure that's common sense nowadays, but guess not.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:31 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you standard is that if a trusted shop screws it up then they shouldn't get a second chance, then if they do screw something up...well...they don't get a second chance, which directly conflicts with your later stated opinion that if they make an error [read "screw it up"] they get a second chance to fix it.

It's really a very straightforward case of assessing your original "if-then" statement and applying it to your later opinion.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:36 PM
s65e90
Race Car

If you standard is that if a trusted shop screws it up then they shouldn't get a second chance, then if they do screw something up...well...they don't get a second chance, which directly conflicts with your later stated opinion that if they make an error [read "screw it up"] they get a second chance to fix it.

It's really a very straightforward case of assessing your original "if-then" statement and applying it to your later opinion.
No, it was in response to the fact that even trusted/good people can make mistakes. You must be a blast outside in the real world lol. Relax and apply some logic. Sometimes you should re-read all of your posts and self-reflect......... "Maybe it's not them, maybe it's me".
Old 04-02-2019, 01:39 PM
Taifighter
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Both of you guys are probably fun in the real world.
When's the next get together?
Old 04-02-2019, 01:42 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Originally Posted by Taifighter
Both of you guys are probably fun in the real world.
When's the next get together?
you must be new around here

Old 04-02-2019, 01:43 PM
Taifighter
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

^ lolz
Old 04-02-2019, 01:46 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wow. How much clearer can you get when you stated "Again, if you screw it up or the shop you trust screws it up, then you or them shouldn't be working on cars." Think about that..."shouldn't be working on cars". What are you suggesting? That the shop should shut down and the mechanics find other lines of work?? Your statement is what generated the "a bit harsh" reply that I agreed with. It's actually more than a bit harsh IMO. To paint with such a broad brush because of one mistake on one repair on one part of the car is IMO fully harsh.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:54 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Wow. How much clearer can you get when you stated "Again, if you screw it up or the shop you trust screws it up, then you or them shouldn't be working on cars." Think about that..."shouldn't be working on cars". What are you suggesting? That the shop should shut down and the mechanics find other lines of work?? Your statement is what generated the "a bit harsh" reply that I agreed with. It's actually more than a bit harsh IMO. To paint with such a broad brush because of one mistake on one repair on one part of the car is IMO fully harsh.
LOL , this post has created 3 pages of going back and forth on a simple maintenance item. That's the point. Only on Rennlist do threads like this exist. A rear main seal is a maintenance/wear item, plain and simple. My post is that if people are gonna go so super critical over whether to change or not due to complexity that sounds ludicrous. Any shop who isn't capable of doing so (ON THE REGULAR, NOT DISCOUNTING EVERY HUMAN ON EARTH MAY MAKE A SMALL MISTAKE) then yes, shouldn't be doing it. Those who have the inopportune event of making a mistake (as capitalized for your viewing above) should be trusted enough to make corrective work, as their mistakes are the exception and not the rule. This isn't an absolute, I am allowed to share both thoughts at the same time, if you cannot understand that, it's not my job nor interest to educate you.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:03 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Any shop who isn't capable of doing so (ON THE REGULAR, NOT DISCOUNTING EVERY HUMAN ON EARTH MAY MAKE A SMALL MISTAKE) then yes, shouldn't be doing it.
Notwithstanding the fact that the bold above doesn't make any sense, it's not what you stated originally. Your "shouldn't be working on cars" carried no exceptions.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:31 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

As a rule of thumb.. One can schedule to change the rear main seal at the 3rd clutch install. I SELL hundreds of clutch kits and receive the feedback from worn and leaking rear main seals. Infact, I sold my very first GT3 LWFW/Turbo clutch kit for the 996TT to DOCK 12 years ago?? The kit used was a variation of the RS/Turbo kit that I sold for the 993TT. My point is. I get feedback from shops. AND removing a functionally GOOD rear main seal is foolish. If it isn't leaking don't remove it. If it has a little clutch dust around the lip seal>>it's normal. We rarely see guys post on the Forum that they need to replace the rear main seal. Now if you are hell bent on replacing it. MAke sure that you buy the Genuine Porsche KRACO seal. (it is solid black in color) The Aftermarket rear main seals will give your problems and not last as long as the Genuine Porsche rear main seal. You will also need to polish the crankshaft where the seal has worn a micro groove/wear pattern. A Special rear main installation tool must be used (this is where guys fail>>including shops).. The seal must also be seated 1mm past the flush surface.

It's a free world, go ahead and change your rear main sell if you feel better. But one can wait till the third clutch change and/or actually wait till there is oil leaking from the seal which usually occurs over 100K miles.. Less if the car is heavily tracked!
Old 04-02-2019, 02:38 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts

Genuine Porsche part, proper tool, check. How do you polish the crank?

Quick Reply: Rear main seal replacement?