Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 14 years...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 11:55 PM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Congrats, is that polar silver or arctic silver?
Old 02-13-2019, 12:05 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by ipman

I'm going to say Arctic, but with the blue walls and lift and some of the shots, it does kinda have a Polar look to it at times.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Tanks95
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Polar....and yes, the Carolina Blue walls can play tricks on the eyes
Old 02-13-2019, 02:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanks95
Polar....and yes, the Carolina Blue walls can play tricks on the eyes
What color is the interior?
Old 02-13-2019, 02:54 PM
Tanks95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
What color is the interior?
to my uncultured blue collar public school eyes, its black. But Porsche says its “Natural Leather Grey”
Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 PM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Love it, you’ve got the best! Why? Because 2 weeks ago I just picked up an all stock polar silver 2001 with natural gray interior having 55k miles. So we’re in a very similar position.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:42 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Love it, you’ve got the best! Why? Because 2 weeks ago I just picked up an all stock polar silver 2001 with natural gray interior having 55k miles. So we’re in a very similar position.
Congrats to both of you. I hope you guys enjoy your amazing cars in good health!

Shiny side up!
Old 02-16-2019, 11:45 PM
Tanks95
Rennlist Member

CHEAP TOOLS! Gotta do better

FIXED!!! She take fuel now!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2eMJPwH]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2doYXKi]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2eMJPiM]

DONE!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2eMJPdM]

Next project….
Old 02-17-2019, 12:40 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

very nice. how long on your labor? not counting snacks and beer lol. my boot replacement kits are still in the boot. argh.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:13 AM
Tanks95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
very nice. how long on your labor? not counting snacks and beer lol. my boot replacement kits are still in the boot. argh.
Hmmm, Bottom line up front, I would plan for a day. In actuality its probably only at 2 – 3 hour job.

This car, suspension wise, is easy to work on (for me). Its open and accessible like most older German cars, well all older cars for that matter.

-Half shaft came out in 20 minutes
-Shaft tear down was about 30 minutes in aggregate, but an hour in real time. I was being very cautious and doing a lot of cleaning.
- re assembly was under 30 min (gotta enlist my wife today to hold the brake while I torque the 6 bolts that connect the shaft to the diff).
- cleaning, wiping, checking all other components in the area, photo documentation, working other preventative maintenance side jobs on the front end = 2 hours.
- trying to stay clear of those unobtanium Ca$rb$on Rotors added and extra 45 minutes. I have never wrapped so many suspension components with towels in fear of any contact being made with those blood diamond encrusted rotors.

Having said that, while doing maintenance, I am also doing some exploratory maintenance. This is because my car was a consignment car, so I had no communication with an actual owner. So, while I work i am also looking for things. Sometimes you can tell what type of life a car lived when you start to take it apart and look at its bones.

For example, because of old grease splatter (that wasn’t cleaned up) I can tell the inner boot had torn in the past. I could also tell the output shaft seals have been recently replaced on the front diffs. I noticed ALL of the connector hardware for the under panel and inner wheel well liners was still there. Could be another indicator of someone who cared, most cars this age have at least one plastic security snap clip, retaining clip, small bolt or nut missing.

I observed old paint marks on the bolts (I also keep a paint pen handy), this can be an indicator of someone who cared, whereas leaving CV joint grease splatter after replacing the boot could be a sign of a shop or individual who was only concerned with the job at hand (reason #567.3 why I try and avoid shops like i avoid acid rain).

Today, I start the alternator replacement, this may be overkill, but the voltage from it was erratic at best. From a multimeter I was reading 12.5 – 13. Not normal. While driving the volt gauge was erratic also. Anyway, another excuse to do some investigative maintenance in the engine compartment.

WOW… this was a very long answer to a simple question. So, yes, maybe 2- 3 hours total.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:05 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

thanks very much for the info. my buddy that does the heavy lifting/wrenching with me took one look at the kits and said it was too much work for a sunday morning lol. mine aren't "yet" spewing grease, just the usual tear in the outer(?).

so i got plugs and front pads replaced in a couple hours... but now he knows i've got them, so i'll have to plan a few hours that's not on super bowl sunday lol thanks again.

add: i've r&r'd the alt before, and under load? 12.5 to 13 seems good to me? but i suspect, you know better than i. GL with it.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:00 PM
Tanks95
Rennlist Member

Finally, some free time from work, school and family.

Installed the new style coils and plugs today…Overall pretty easy job.

But, because I am a Porsche rookie, I was immediately worried when the coils I removed didn’t not match the ones I received. That called for a quick hand cleaning…rush back in the house to check the internet. After a few minutes of searching and verifying, Pelican Parts simply shipped the new style coils (but you guys knew that).

Broke a couple of the heat shield studs that attach to the intercooler….poor design…metal nut to plastic stud. I will drill them out and install a threaded clip, easy day.

I have no idea when the plugs were changed, but they don’t ‘look’ bad. All part of my maintenance reset.

Both taillight lower mount holes are broken….urgh! (before me)

LOVE this car! Easy to work on. I mean, I wish I could afford a new GT3, but then again, I like cars I can work on! (things you say when you can’t afford other things…).

OLD Plugs….not bad

Old Coils ready to remove

New Style Coils

Someone has been smoking in my intercoolers! (this was the stuff that was jingling around inside the intercooler housing…cigarette butt???)

To do list:

Ohlins R&T should arrive next week…out with the HR, I don’t like the slammed look.
SOUL Exhaust install is up next….exhaust studs are soaked with PB blaster as I type
(possible) New Pads for the PCCBs…any suggestions??? Stick with OEM?
Drive !
Drive!!
Drive!!!

Okay, so, while I have everything off what else should I do….while I’m in here?
Old 03-02-2019, 08:12 PM
jdexter
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Light savers! That's how you keep the lights from disintegration. You will want a tune to go with that exhaust. Start researching clutch and upgrades. Most go for the Sachs "2.5" setup. But some go 487PP/4.0disc/964RS LWFW. Look at Johns sig. pwdrhound. Looking good!

Last edited by jdexter; 03-03-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:16 PM
Tanks95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdexter
Light savers! That's how you keep the lights from disintegration. You will want a tune to go with that exhaust. Start researching clutch and upgrades. Most go for the Sachs "2.5" setup. But some go to the single mass flywheel and oem porsche stuff from 968? Look at Johns sig. powdrhound. Looking good!
thanks for helping me unload $70!

light savers on the way!
Old 03-02-2019, 10:16 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by jdexter
Light savers! That's how you keep the lights from disintegration. You will want a tune to go with that exhaust. Start researching clutch and upgrades. Most go for the Sachs "2.5" setup. But some go to the single mass flywheel and oem porsche stuff from 968? Look at Johns sig. powdrhound. Looking good!
When in doubt, refer to powdrhound...words to live by indeed.

Quick Reply: After 14 years...