Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum-61/)
-   -   After 14 years... (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/1123129-after-14-years.html)

Tanks95 01-09-2019 12:52 PM

After 14 years...

Hello fellow enthusiasts, my name is William, I like to take long walks…wrong forum.

Seriously, my name is William, I originally joined this forum in 2004 as I was enthusiastically searching for my dream car. So, here I am again many years later, kids all grown up and departed, retired from the military and BACK to pursuing the dream.The dream never died. As a matter of fact, it currently lives in a couple of nice M3s; a twin screwed E36 and my baby an E926MT. But!!! it ‘seems’ the real dream is about to manifest in, what normal people would call, a low mileage 996 Turbo @ 56k miles. Super excited.

So after 14 years of forum membership I am about to post my 9th post!As most here, who have this addiction will understand…..I have already been putting together my “reset” maintenance package items in my Suncoast cart. It includes, all new OEM filters, motor mounts, new drain plugs, plugs, coils, and new floor mats! Once I get her home and up on my lift, I will assess what stays in the cart and what gets ordered.

Round 2, will be a couple hundred mile driving assessment period to see what else may need to be done. This will also allow time for retrieve some good fluid samples to send off to Blackstone for analysis.

Following that will be the addition of the SOUL Performance exhaust and a battery tender. I am sure there will be some form of minor paint correction that will be needed, which will give me an excuse to use some of the products sitting on the shelf. From there it will be drive, smile, maintain, store, repeat.

Once the deal is solidified, I’ll report back with purchase details and pics!

Thank you all for creating a place that contains a literal storehouse of knowledge!

William

Dock 01-09-2019 01:23 PM

First, thanks for your service.

Second, you seem right on top of doing things the right way. Good luck with your future 996 Turbo ownership.

TheDeckMan 01-09-2019 02:25 PM

Welcome! Cant wait to see the pictures!

Road King 01-09-2019 03:07 PM

Looking forward to some pics!

I too joined way ahead of my purchase....Dec 2009 and didn't actually buy my car until Dec 2014. I've now got 4 years and about 12K miles of seat time. Great car, couldn't be happier!

Nzo 01-09-2019 03:51 PM

Welcome, its a great combo! I got a E90 M3 earlier this year and both cars make the other fun to drive because they're so different.

JC Lacayo 01-09-2019 04:05 PM

'grats! If not already, you'll realize this is "such a lot of car" for the money.

Freddie Two Bs 01-09-2019 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tanks95 (Post 15553339)
Following that will be the addiction of the soul

FYP.

pfbz 01-09-2019 09:43 PM

Congrtats on the car!

Some additional thoughts on items to add to your “reset” maintenance package...

• Full boost test (I'll put money on at least several small leaks). Possibly check valves, diverters, F-pipe, N-75, etc...
  • Brake fluid flush, possibly pads and rotors
  • Suspension refresh, even if staying with stock springs, likely shocks, mounts and strut bearings
  • Hood and frunk lift struts
  • Serpentine belt
  • Transmission oil and front diff fluid change

Dock 01-09-2019 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tanks95 (Post 15553339)
But!!! it ‘seems’ the real dream is about to manifest in, what normal people would call, a low mileage 996 Turbo @ 56k miles.

Will you have any maintenance records?

Tanks95 01-09-2019 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dock (Post 15554711)
Will you have any maintenance records?

great question. Yes and No....some records from the beginning, thanks to a very helpful Porsche dealer. These range from date of purchase to about year 8 of ownership.
Then there is a dark time of indy shops (not bad, just dark in terms of data). Then the next owner utilized Porsche dealers.

So, yes and no not 100% complete records.

Are 100% complete maintenance records the norm in the Porsche world?

Tanks95 01-09-2019 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by pfbz (Post 15554699)
Congrtats on the car!

Some additional thoughts on items to add to your “reset” maintenance package...
  • Full boost test (I'll put money on at least several small leaks). Possibly check valves, diverters, F-pipe, N-75, etc...
  • Brake fluid flush, possibly pads and rotors
  • Suspension refresh, even if staying with stock springs, likely shocks, mounts and strut bearings
  • Hood and frunk lift struts
  • Serpentine belt
  • Transmission oil and front diff fluid change

Excellent!

oh, and i will soon break 20 posts, thus proving my longevity!

Dock 01-09-2019 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tanks95 (Post 15554808)
Then the next owner utilized Porsche dealers.

So you should have a good idea regarding what maintenance has been done recently.

Originally Posted by Tanks95 (Post 15554808)
Are 100% complete maintenance records the norm in the Porsche world?

No.

Jacob_Seattle 01-09-2019 11:01 PM

Hi William,

Great to hear. You and I joining the same club at the same time. I just picked up my 996tt. I am also coming from M cars (but the M5's, I have 4 currently). I have not been enthusiastic about Porsches until recently. For a long time, they had this mid life crisis vibe. Jumping into a twin turbo car, all these mis-perceptions are gone. This is the car that saved Porsche and is the last of the real drivers cars (without all the electronic aids). Don't get me wrong, my F10 M5 has 640 HP and with the aids can go around the track amazingly. There is just something about the mechanical feel of a true drivers car (my favorite M5 is my e39, but close second is my two e34s). 991's just don't do it for me. I may be messed up in the head, but I like to be bitten sometimes.

We are all really looking forward to your pictures. Make sure to take some when she is on the lift too. We are all very blessed to be in this club, enjoy the ride,

Jacob

Tanks95 01-09-2019 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dock (Post 15554886)
So you should have a good idea regarding what maintenance has been done recently.

No.

yes, dealer serviced up to 30k. (lived with wealthy parents)

30-35k dark (worked coal mines with her uncle)

@35,671 an Indy shop conducted a "service" in the muscle car sense...Oil Change, plugs, wipers, check, check, check

from 36 - 47k dark again (lived on the streets with her cousin)

47 - 57k sporadic semi regular services and maintenance, not enthusiast level, but regular guy owner stuff.

So yes, i have more than any other car i have ever purchased used. But i am still going to do "My" stuff in my fashion.

I know you understand.

Tanks95 01-09-2019 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jacob_Seattle (Post 15554907)
Hi William,

Great to hear. You and I joining the same club at the same time. I just picked up my 996tt. I am also coming from M cars (but the M5's, I have 4 currently). I have not been enthusiastic about Porsches until recently. For a long time, they had this mid life crisis vibe. Jumping into a twin turbo car, all these mis-perceptions are gone. This is the car that saved Porsche and is the last of the real drivers cars (without all the electronic aids). Don't get me wrong, my F10 M5 has 640 HP and with the aids can go around the track amazingly. There is just something about the mechanical feel of a true drivers car (my favorite M5 is my e39, but close second is my two e34s). 991's just don't do it for me. I may be messed up in the head, but I like to be bitten sometimes.

We are all really looking forward to your pictures. Make sure to take some when she is on the lift too. We are all very blessed to be in this club, enjoy the ride,

Jacob

thanks. ditto...favorite car currently is my E36 m3. i like the E92, but is very soft, plush, and fancy.
anyway, yes, photos are an implied task. I do a little photography on the side as a hobby, so yes, you will get tired of photos. And yes, my boss already knows, delivery day is a "sick day!"