Sponsored by:

Exhaust and tune ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 12:05 PM
ceeyahd1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust and tune ?

I would like to wake up my new turbo with an exhaust and a mild tune but I don't want to spend a boat load of money doing it. What is my best choice on an exhaust that will not be too loud inside and outside the car? Best choice on a tune?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:18 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 87 Posts

Go with something with cats and muffler if you want mildly aggressive. X pipes are out of the question for that.

As as far as tunes... Kevin with umw.... Sam with ByDesign... and mark with markski tuning. Don’t really go beyond them honestly because they are Porsche focused tuners that provide tuning for YOUR car, and not a off the shelf tune. And if you modify down the road, they can look at your data logs and send you a updated file most of the time within a day.

good luck
Old 10-24-2018, 12:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by ceeyahd1
What is my best choice on an exhaust that will not be too loud inside and outside the car? Best choice on a tune?
The search feature will provide threads/posts about exhausts and tunes; lots of information on these modifications has been posted on this forum....
Old 10-24-2018, 01:08 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Exhausts are really expensive for this car. Even used you can expect to spend around $2000, with a tune costing around $1-1500. Exhaust sound is extemely subjective, what I consider loud others will think is quiet and vice versa.

YouTube clips can give you a general idea but really you need to be in the car and hear it for yourself. The larger the exhaust pipe diameter, the louder it'll be. Same with cats vs no cats, louder without them, etc, etc...
Old 10-24-2018, 01:13 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 886 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by ceeyahd1
I would like to wake up my new turbo with an exhaust and a mild tune but I don't want to spend a boat load of money doing it. What is my best choice on an exhaust that will not be too loud inside and outside the car? Best choice on a tune?

Thanks in advance.
Get an exhaust from Ebay or try used. You can save a lot and there's some decent options online now. For tuning, COBB is great.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:29 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Exhaust noise is extremely subjective, drone is the bug issue. For me at least, some peoples claim of absolutely no drone is suspect. I switched back to a stock exhaust and feel it has some drone but at a level that i felt was barely acceptable. I have an X50 with K24s and it is possible that it has more drone from the larger turbos than a K16 car would have. So my impressions might be skewed. Bottom line, find someone with the exhaust you want to buy and go for a test drive. There are some posts on here where more discerning people (probably with deeper pockets than i) have gone through 2 or 3 systems to find the one. If you want good sound and the lowest drone i would recommend Europipe loud but they are not cheep.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:56 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Rvca3112
As as far as tunes... Kevin with umw.... Sam with ByDesign... and mark with markski tuning. Don’t really go beyond them honestly because they are Porsche focused tuners that provide tuning for YOUR car, and not a off the shelf tune. And if you modify down the road, they can look at your data logs and send you a updated file most of the time within a day.
sam and markski both use canned tunes. its a base file that they tweak based on datalogs. its unlikely either could write a full tune file if they had to. as for going beyond them theres prolly a dozen shops that focus on pcars and tuning that have actual tuners who write complete files for tuning using maestro suite 7 or mygenius as a loading device. best tuner there is and holds every record there is for 997 turbo and 991 is emre from esmotors
Old 10-24-2018, 04:23 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 602 Posts

Hi ceey

I think as you read you will find the same thing repeated over and over. Being personal friends with Kevin and Markski I can tell you we are all very dedicated and proven what we do and we’ve been doing it for a very long time. If you’re interested in the Cobb access port regardless of any misinformation you might get I’m proudly their largest dealer for Porsche and largest Tuner. I would be happy to help you out with a full guarantee and write you a custom map to suit any needs you have anywhere from 500 to 1200 hp. If you look us up you’ll find everything you need to know and we stand behind everything 100% so you’re satisfied regardless and if you don’t like it you send it back. Feel free to reach out anytime! Cheers

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 10-24-2018, 04:52 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 886 Likes on 599 Posts

+ 1 for Sam. My car's been running for a long time w/out issue. And he's a nice guy.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:42 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a tune and reevaluate if you want an exhaust. The tuners mentioned above will remap depending if you add a specific exhaust setup.

Tune was more than enough to “wake” my car up.

also join the private 996tt Facebook page. Tons of great info and parts are regularly offered for sale by enthusiasts.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:11 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I bought a stock K16 car just about 4 years ago. With limited time and budget, I really only wanted/needed an exhaust and tune. I actually went with a custom 1 bar Cobb tune from Sam @ By Design. It's paired with Kline 2.5" exhaust and I'm very happy with the results. Pulls hard, sounds great, no drone. I also did a 997 SSK and adjustable sway bars. Recently got a thicker steering wheel to enhance the driving experience, need to get it installed. That's all folks.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:25 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

I found a 100cel Milltek in the classifieds here a couple years back and it is a great combination of sound under load but relatively quiet when you're not matting it and no drone.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:10 AM
LuigiPetrone
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Road King
I bought a stock K16 car just about 4 years ago. With limited time and budget, I really only wanted/needed an exhaust and tune. I actually went with a custom 1 bar Cobb tune from Sam @ By Design. It's paired with Kline 2.5" exhaust and I'm very happy with the results. Pulls hard, sounds great, no drone. I also did a 997 SSK and adjustable sway bars. Recently got a thicker steering wheel to enhance the driving experience, need to get it installed. That's all folks.
does your Kline exhaust pass California smog? I'm having a hard time choosing a system that will pass...
Old 10-25-2018, 01:26 AM
ceeyahd1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all for the advice. I have been reading a lot and seems like the exhaust is definitely a personal preference and due to the high cost I will have to do more research. How many HP would I get from a mild tune and are there certain applications in the software make one brand better then others? 997/GT3 shifter would be a good alternative to the stock shifter?

Thanks again.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:24 AM
TommyT
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

997GT3 shifter is great. I have Cobb of the shelf tune and exhaust. Don’t know how much more HP but definitely feels stronger. Go for it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust and tune ?