Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 996 turbo ignition/electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 10:09 PM
tseid
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 996 turbo ignition/electrical problem?

Hello. I am a relatively new Porsche owner. I have a 2001 996 turbo with 34k gentle miles on it that I acquired from its first owner two years ago with 32.9k miles. Well maintained throughout. Recently I noticed while driving that the heating/air conditioning fan was not working. The next day, however, it did work but the headlamps would not turn on (even though the parking lamps and driving lamps did). When I took the key out of the ignition that same day the warning alarm came on and the dashboard said that the key was still in the ignition. The dashboard lights remained on as well. When I tried to put the key back into the ignition, it would not accept it without a lot of coaxing. When I again removed the key the same alarm and warning came on. I am now unable to lock or arm the car with the button on the key. I can only lock the car by putting the key into the door lock. It still will not arm and the steering wheel does not lock. When I can get the key into the ignition, the car starts and runs fine but I am now afraid to take it anywhere for fear that I will not be able to get the key into the ignition and start it. Are these problems with the fan, lights, and ignition related? Is this a common or recognized problem? Easy solution or tough fix?
Old 10-21-2018, 04:10 AM
602996TT
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You need a new Ignition switch, you can get at Napa for $12 or a better one for $35 at a dealer. DIY less then a 15 min install.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:04 PM
tseid
7th Gear

Thanks for the rec. I have no experience working on cars and am reluctant to dig under the dash. The shop where I have taken the car before has recommended (over the phone) that the entire ignition assembly be replaced and not just the ignition switch. Is that an up sell or a reasonable recommendation?
Old 10-22-2018, 01:25 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

No, find another shop.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:33 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by tseid
Thanks for the rec. I have no experience working on cars and am reluctant to dig under the dash. The shop where I have taken the car before has recommended (over the phone) that the entire ignition assembly be replaced and not just the ignition switch. Is that an up sell or a reasonable recommendation?
That's maybe not an intentional upsell, but it is absolutely NOT necessary. As mentioned in your other thread on this topic, there are many, many threads on here about the electrical portion of the switch going bad. You may think it is the "tumblers" based on how the switch feels when you put the key in. It is not. It is simply the inexpensive electrical switch. And you really aren't tearing into the dash. All you need to do is squeeze together the HVAC duct that runs along the top of the clutch/brake pedals (takes 2 seconds to just squeeze it together and pull it out). Then, there are two screws that you need to loosen. A couple of the DIYs show that you need to remove a portion of the left side of the dash (where the air vent is) - but that is completely unnecessary. The shop is going to charge you at least $400 to replace the entire assembly (actually, probably more like $600+), but it can be easily fixed by you for $30. Plus, because these ignition switches are a common failure item, many of us carry a spare switch in the car along with the little screwdriver tip you will need to turn those screws. So, if it happens again sometime, you can quickly fix it yourself once you learn how to do it the first time. That will save you a tow truck ride and having your car in the shop again for a couple of days.

Put another way, replacing the entire ignition assembly to fix this problem is the equivalent of replacing an entire taillight assembly because a taillight bulb burns out. It might take you a few minutes to figure out how to get to the bulb and swap it out, but once you've done it the first time, you'll laugh at the thought of replacing the entire assembly to swap that inexpensive little part out. I would highly recommend that you get comfortable with doing some minor maintenance work on your car yourself because it will make the car much less expensive to maintain, and you'll learn to enjoy the DIY experience - it makes you more connected with the car. There is so much info and help here, on YouTube and on other Porsche forums, that it really doesn't make sense to take it to the shop every time you have a hiccup. If you do get into that habit of taking it to the shop for everything, then get used to having quick & easy $30 repairs turn into $600+ shop bills - which will ruin your ownership experience.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:39 PM
tseid
7th Gear

Understood. Good advice. Thank you.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:08 PM
tseid
7th Gear

Do I need to detach the battery before I work on the switch?
Old 10-22-2018, 02:46 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 180 Posts

I would disconnect the battery.

Quick Reply: 2001 996 turbo ignition/electrical problem?