Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst rattle ever? — VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:06 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Best tool I ever saw for finding squeaks & rattles was a homemade one a Jaguar mechanic had. It was a C-clamp to which was welded a small electric motor. On the motor shaft was a solid metal disc with a slot cut in it......running from center to near the outer edge of the disc. In that slot there was a bolt & nut that could be slid along the slit to change the vibration frequency the tool generated. I watched him use it - clamp to the frame and let 'er rip......instantly located the rattle in question. I imagine he built it out of necessity, working for Jaguar and all.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:57 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Originally Posted by T Kono
....working for Jaguar and all.
Funny, and true.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:57 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by WagonLover
Towel wrap made no difference, so it’s probably not what I thought. I’m gonna take a look at the airbag later. Thanks again.
Have you tried to just coast with engine off? I had a similar problem and the noise was coming from the engine compartment that generated to the front of the car, not under the dash. I coasted with engine off and noise went away. I was able to track down the culprit.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:40 PM
WagonLover
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven’t tried that. I’m not even sure I understand how that would work. Roll down a hill? What about steering? (These are real questions, not sarcastic)

i took out my airbag. The hinge seems pretty rattle-y, but then I look down towards the middle of the dash and I spotted the attached. It looks like a screw is missing, right? And it’s metal on metal. And it’s heavy and in the right spot and... I don’t want to get too excited yet.

What do you guys think? How should I test it — can I drive without the airbag in. The access is so good to see where it might be makin noises.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:41 PM
WagonLover
Intermediate

Old 10-16-2018, 05:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

That's as good a chance of being the source as any. Put a screw in it or Gorilla Tape it (temporary) and see what happens.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:57 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

I think if you drive without the airbag plugged in you will trigger an error code that you might have trouble clearing.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:01 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Drive it with the airbag installed.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:03 PM
WagonLover
Intermediate

I’ve attached another video. This time, I’m hitting the front of the passenger floor board area (under the dash) and I think I’m replicating the squeak. It’s short bc of size limitations. But this is the first time I’ve been able to replicate the noise at standstill.

Does it sound the same to you guys? How do I access whatever ticklish crickets are back there?
Attached Files
Old 10-16-2018, 07:08 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

I’ve attached another video. This time, I’m hitting the front of the passenger floor board area (under the dash) and I think I’m replicating the squeak. It’s short bc of size limitations. But this is the first time I’ve been able to replicate the noise at standstill.

Does it sound the same to you guys? How do I access whatever ticklish crickets are back there?
Yes, it sounds the same to me.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:15 AM
Taylorcar
Intermediate

I have this exact same squeak/rattle. Same location same sound. I haven’t let it drive me nuts yet...but it’s bugging me a lot more all of a sudden. I have some suspension work (installing KWs and replacing mounts) planned while the car is parked for the winter and I was hopeful that was going to fix it. I’m less optimistic about that now... FWIW mines an 02 and has the glovebox. That video may as well be a video of my car - the sound is identical.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:50 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

It does look like it's wearing against the other sheet metal and that's typically a metallic sound.
Do NOT unplug the airbag, otherwise it will cause a fault and be troublesome to have someone reset it...

Looks like it's a sheet-metal screw, possibly like the black one also in your picture, maybe you could remove the black one, and see if it fits in there. If so, then you just have to find the same coarse thread as the black one..
That would be my first step. Or just go buy a lot of different sheet metal screw sizes to try out.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:17 PM
WagonLover
Intermediate

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Tonight, while putting on my winter tires, my friend and I crawled under the car and started banging around. I’ll post specifics when I’m able to upload stuff, but the source of the squeak was a plastic hanger on one of the thick coolant (?) pipes. The plastic clip was rubbing against the underside of the body, cause a fluttery metallic reverberation that traveled through the cabin and was impossible to locate.

I’m going to spend the next 10 years paying for all the plastic dashboard bits I’ve broken over the past year+ while trying to find the noise. But tonight I celebrate the small victories.

Last edited by WagonLover; 10-21-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:04 AM
Taylorcar
Intermediate

Any chance you could post some photos and a description of the spot to help me out. The sound is so similar to my car that I feel like it must be the same issue. I’d really appreciate the help!!! Good work finding it!
Old 11-13-2018, 09:45 AM
WagonLover
Intermediate

video password is "porsche"

There are two silver metal coolant (?) tubes that run under the car after you remove the underbody covers. The plastic hanger towards the back of the passenger side tube was rubbing against the underside of the body causing an impossible-to-locate sound. I hope this is helpful!! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Worst rattle ever? — VIDEO