Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antigravity ATX-30 Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 01:44 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Those reviews would scare me off. When I was at Jay Leno's garage I noticed he had many, many CTEK chargers watching over his vehicles. That endorsement, plus the Amazon reviews are enough for me to buy the CTEK.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:47 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Thanks for all your excellent replies here and on the other thread.
I have one of these and it claims to have Lithium mode do you have any experience or feedback on using one with the ATX30?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
To be honest, not a fan. We highly recommend and suggest the Optimate or Ctek intelligent lithium chargers for use.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:26 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hey Powdrhound,

Volt Phreaks are good... its a fine battery.... I will point out some facts below, but it a quality unit. Pricing high, but as you said not to consider that. Don't go with Braille, they are boloney, they have no Battery Management System (BMS), it's a crock of hooey.

The RS-30 is a full and REAL 30Ah battery... and though Volt Phreaks are claiming their VPH-1200 is 44Ah, it isn't true. The reason I say that is because we all use a Lifepo4 Lithium Chemistry, and the fact is it all weighs roughly the same. So if you consider the fact that 1 Ah of Lithium in a cell pack without the case is about .25 pounds ... and when you run the numbers you will see that Volt Phreaks are claiming a weight of 8.75 lbs at 44Ah you will find this is not accurate, because to have a 44Ah Lithium battery it would have to weigh a minimum of 11 lbs and without a case. So their Ah is about 30 in real life when you run the math, not the 44Ah they claim. But now you can see our RS-30 weighs more. VP-1200....8.75 lbs compared to ours at 11.5lbs. So our extra weight on the RS-30 comes from the fact that we use a larger case and designed the case to be more of a automotive style battery with a footprint and terminal locations that are aligned with the automotive standard. Also being our case is of a thick-walled fire resistant plastic adds to the weight. But this is done intentionally so that in the event there is any thermal runaway issues with the battery our case can handle the heat much better and keep any issues more contained within the battery. So I will give them the weight advantage all day long, with ours being an overall safer structure. But have to say... on pricing we are half the price... and this is not due to lower quality, its due to volume and much larger scale... we probably sell 100 to 1 what Volt Phreaks does, but we are in more channels like off-road and Powersport and Motorcycles also.

What is the weight of the RS-30 battery mounting kit?
2lbs... it makes the battery 13.5 lbs with the kit. But then the battery uses factory mounts without any mods to a Porsche after being put in the tray.

Does the RS-30 require a special Li-po charger or can a standard charger be used?
You should always use the proper charger for Lithium, which is a Lithium Charger. The reasons are that a Lead/Acid charger has the potential to go into its De-Sulphate Mode which can spike voltage if you put it on a lithium battery. Also a Lead Acid charger will keep cycling the battery at the end of the charge cycle to take into consideration the Lead/Acid Batteries "Natural Discharge" which Lithium does not have.

What is the country of manufacture (not just country of assembly) of the RS-30?
China for the RS-30.

Do you have any professional race teams using your batteries? If so, which?
I see above you brought up that VP is used by tons of Race Teams... and Braille is even beyond that, but that is in the "Street" segment. But we come from Off-Road, and have most of the teams using us on that side. I don't think Braille and VP would come over to our side because they would need to make a better battery that can handle it. Its a different level of abuse for a battery. We think that Road Racing is "sissy" stuff for our batteries (I'm kidding). Keep in mind we are in thousands of Street/Race Cars already and have been for many years, but it is not where we focused or marketed, so we are under the radar there. We only just started to focus on Street Cars this year when we saw that Category was getting the wool pulled over their eyes by Braille and their $1500 to $2000 dollar lithium batteries that had no protections or advanced Battery Management System... So we said let's develop that channel and show what we can do.

So we are in off-road as I said...so that means Baja, Lucas Oil Trophy Trucks, Nitro- Boats, WORCS, Best in the Desert, Supercross, Motocross, GNCC.... which many of you might not have heard of. But it basically the highest levels of Off-Road Racing in USA. We do Cars, Trucks, UTVs, Motorcycles etc...

So Robby Gordon is big name in off-road, and he's running our batteries and got the Pole position the last 2 years running for the Baja 1000 though he didn't win. Please realize we are starting 900 Horse power, High Compression V8 motors that needs a 15 to 20 second priming to get them started. Then these Vehicles go roughly 1000 miles over the next 24hours on the roughest terrain the world.. That include team Honda, and Yamaha and Kawasaki also in the bikes.

Then we also do bikes and UTVs and ATVs big time in the WORCS, and GNCC, and we have Walker Fowler (Team Yamaha) who is the Champion of GNCC ATV Racing the last 3 year every year running our stuff without a failure. Then Chad Weien (Team Yamaha) 7 time Champion in ATVMX. Now keep in mind GNCC is also massivly muddy with river crossings, and WORCS is open desert with Sand whoops for miles. So this is not a road circuit with some Road and Engine Vibration... this is massive hits and slams and vibration that wreaks so much havoc that only some of the vehicles can finish the races because it is so hard on the vehicles. That is why I jokingly called Street as "sissy" stuff.

Then we have the Nitrochondriac team using us in Boat Racing... cool video if you don't know about top fuel hydros
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxJgzNtE6t8

We do Freestyle Motocross... we are in most all those bikes... Ronnie Renner multi-time X-Games Gold Medalist, and Destin Cantrell you can see this video of what they do and why they need a lightweight battery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xtRPzLpYi0

So it sort of relative to the channel your in, sure you may not have heard of us... it's quite understandable, but don't think that not having heard of us is relative to what we do or how good our product is. We actually brought the first mini Jump Starters to market in 2013. Our MICRO-START XP-10 was rated "Best Rated Jump Starter" by Consumer Reports. We've been around since 2010 and all we do is Lithium Products. But we are now here focusing on the Street side now so we will soon be getting the brand better known over here.

You can also learn more by going over to the GT3 forum... we had a 25page thread going on over there during a group buy a couple months ago.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...for-2-gt3.html

Thanks you for the response. I have a little research to do and will be in touch. Thanks you...
Old 10-07-2018, 01:17 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Soon as I get some time running around town and letting it sit for a few, I'll update.
Meanwhile, dropped 30lbs at the belt:
Old 10-08-2018, 12:53 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Soon as I get some time running around town and letting it sit for a few, I'll update.
Thanks for getting an ATX30, and if you have any issues at all let us know. IF you do keep any data... for example you drive the car.... let it sit a day and take the Voltage, write that number down.... then monitor the car and take the voltages every few days to check the parasitic voltage loss over the course of a week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks etc if NOT driving that would be great and we could get you some refund of your cost for the battery. I would love to have that data for your specific car so we can compare it to others. We keep a log of many cars who are using certain batteries in certain models, so we can better inform Customers of the real life Parasitic drain we are experiencing for specific Cars. Is yours track and street? Or mainly Street? Or just track? Is it a 996 Turbo like this forum we are in?
Old 10-08-2018, 02:06 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Thanks for getting an ATX30, and if you have any issues at all let us know. IF you do keep any data... for example you drive the car.... let it sit a day and take the Voltage, write that number down.... then monitor the car and take the voltages every few days to check the parasitic voltage loss over the course of a week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks etc if NOT driving that would be great and we could get you some refund of your cost for the battery. I would love to have that data for your specific car so we can compare it to others. We keep a log of many cars who are using certain batteries in certain models, so we can better inform Customers of the real life Parasitic drain we are experiencing for specific Cars. Is yours track and street? Or mainly Street? Or just track? Is it a 996 Turbo like this forum we are in?
Thanks for the offer, I'll be happy to help.
I connected it this morning for the first time and it fired right up. I let the car run to temp, then shut down and restarted later in the day and ran around for 15 minutes.
With our weather in Seattle shifting to wet, I'll have plenty of opportunity to help with leaving it sit for a week or two+.
Car is 996 turbo with no stereo mods or radar but does have a trans cooler on a switch for the track. It sees the track as much as possible but this year was light, so I've been on the street a bit. Try to drive it whenever the weather allows and just replaced a bad voltage regulator a month or so ago.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:32 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the battery secured? Can't tell from your pic.

-Jason
Old 10-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Powdrhound,

Volt Phreaks are good... its a fine battery.... I will point out some facts below, but it a quality unit. Pricing high, but as you said not to consider that. Don't go with Braille, they are boloney, they have no Battery Management System (BMS), it's a crock of hooey.

The RS-30 is a full and REAL 30Ah battery... and though Volt Phreaks are claiming their VPH-1200 is 44Ah, it isn't true. The reason I say that is because we all use a Lifepo4 Lithium Chemistry, and the fact is it all weighs roughly the same. So if you consider the fact that 1 Ah of Lithium in a cell pack without the case is about .25 pounds ... and when you run the numbers you will see that Volt Phreaks are claiming a weight of 8.75 lbs at 44Ah you will find this is not accurate, because to have a 44Ah Lithium battery it would have to weigh a minimum of 11 lbs and without a case. So their Ah is about 30 in real life when you run the math, not the 44Ah they claim. But now you can see our RS-30 weighs more. VP-1200....8.75 lbs compared to ours at 11.5lbs. So our extra weight on the RS-30 comes from the fact that we use a larger case and designed the case to be more of a automotive style battery with a footprint and terminal locations that are aligned with the automotive standard. Also being our case is of a thick-walled fire resistant plastic adds to the weight. But this is done intentionally so that in the event there is any thermal runaway issues with the battery our case can handle the heat much better and keep any issues more contained within the battery. So I will give them the weight advantage all day long, with ours being an overall safer structure. But have to say... on pricing we are half the price... and this is not due to lower quality, its due to volume and much larger scale... we probably sell 100 to 1 what Volt Phreaks does, but we are in more channels like off-road and Powersport and Motorcycles also.

What is the weight of the RS-30 battery mounting kit?
2lbs... it makes the battery 13.5 lbs with the kit. But then the battery uses factory mounts without any mods to a Porsche after being put in the tray.

Does the RS-30 require a special Li-po charger or can a standard charger be used?
You should always use the proper charger for Lithium, which is a Lithium Charger. The reasons are that a Lead/Acid charger has the potential to go into its De-Sulphate Mode which can spike voltage if you put it on a lithium battery. Also a Lead Acid charger will keep cycling the battery at the end of the charge cycle to take into consideration the Lead/Acid Batteries "Natural Discharge" which Lithium does not have.

What is the country of manufacture (not just country of assembly) of the RS-30?
China for the RS-30.

Do you have any professional race teams using your batteries? If so, which?
I see above you brought up that VP is used by tons of Race Teams... and Braille is even beyond that, but that is in the "Street" segment. But we come from Off-Road, and have most of the teams using us on that side. I don't think Braille and VP would come over to our side because they would need to make a better battery that can handle it. Its a different level of abuse for a battery. We think that Road Racing is "sissy" stuff for our batteries (I'm kidding). Keep in mind we are in thousands of Street/Race Cars already and have been for many years, but it is not where we focused or marketed, so we are under the radar there. We only just started to focus on Street Cars this year when we saw that Category was getting the wool pulled over their eyes by Braille and their $1500 to $2000 dollar lithium batteries that had no protections or advanced Battery Management System... So we said let's develop that channel and show what we can do.

So we are in off-road as I said...so that means Baja, Lucas Oil Trophy Trucks, Nitro- Boats, WORCS, Best in the Desert, Supercross, Motocross, GNCC.... which many of you might not have heard of. But it basically the highest levels of Off-Road Racing in USA. We do Cars, Trucks, UTVs, Motorcycles etc...

So Robby Gordon is big name in off-road, and he's running our batteries and got the Pole position the last 2 years running for the Baja 1000 though he didn't win. Please realize we are starting 900 Horse power, High Compression V8 motors that needs a 15 to 20 second priming to get them started. Then these Vehicles go roughly 1000 miles over the next 24hours on the roughest terrain the world.. That include team Honda, and Yamaha and Kawasaki also in the bikes.

Then we also do bikes and UTVs and ATVs big time in the WORCS, and GNCC, and we have Walker Fowler (Team Yamaha) who is the Champion of GNCC ATV Racing the last 3 year every year running our stuff without a failure. Then Chad Weien (Team Yamaha) 7 time Champion in ATVMX. Now keep in mind GNCC is also massivly muddy with river crossings, and WORCS is open desert with Sand whoops for miles. So this is not a road circuit with some Road and Engine Vibration... this is massive hits and slams and vibration that wreaks so much havoc that only some of the vehicles can finish the races because it is so hard on the vehicles. That is why I jokingly called Street as "sissy" stuff.

Then we have the Nitrochondriac team using us in Boat Racing... cool video if you don't know about top fuel hydros
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxJgzNtE6t8

We do Freestyle Motocross... we are in most all those bikes... Ronnie Renner multi-time X-Games Gold Medalist, and Destin Cantrell you can see this video of what they do and why they need a lightweight battery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xtRPzLpYi0

So it sort of relative to the channel your in, sure you may not have heard of us... it's quite understandable, but don't think that not having heard of us is relative to what we do or how good our product is. We actually brought the first mini Jump Starters to market in 2013. Our MICRO-START XP-10 was rated "Best Rated Jump Starter" by Consumer Reports. We've been around since 2010 and all we do is Lithium Products. But we are now here focusing on the Street side now so we will soon be getting the brand better known over here.

You can also learn more by going over to the GT3 forum... we had a 25page thread going on over there during a group buy a couple months ago.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...for-2-gt3.html
I think I should become a re-seller for your batteries! I could use one in my e36 track car too.

-Jason
Old 10-09-2018, 02:57 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Warehouse33.net
Is the battery secured? Can't tell from your pic.

-Jason
Yep, about 2oz and $.02 of zip ties.
I'll snap a pic of that engineering marvel for later after I make a permanent one, or get bigger zip ties.
Really was a toss up between that, silicone and double back tape
Old 10-22-2018, 01:10 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

To update this thread, we've had great weather this fall so I ran around with the new battery for a week from 10/7 - 10/15. Commuted 20mi ea way, ran around a bunch for fun while using my headlights all the time and radio some, then let the car sit for a week because I bought a 991s. Went out and started the car right up early this morning, gauge reading 40 degrees after sitting for 6 days, no issues at all during any of this. V reading on Durametric at startup this am:

Old 10-22-2018, 01:46 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

How about some pictures of your 991S?
Old 10-22-2018, 02:16 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by mffarrell
How about some pictures of your 991S?
Will try to leave it as is, other than some black carpet and perhaps a new battery.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:43 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Mark the 991 looks great!
Old 10-22-2018, 10:14 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Congratulations on the 991. You will love it.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:30 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Congratulations, very nice!

Quick Reply: Antigravity ATX-30 Battery