Sponsored by:

Antigravity ATX-30 Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 10:39 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Antigravity ATX-30 Battery

I figured I'd try one of these since I didn't shed 20lbs this summer.
Anyone have any experience with one in their car?
I got the terminal adapters and one of their XP-10 starters while I was at it and figured I'd fab a bracket,
Old 10-02-2018, 01:07 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,841 Likes on 2,925 Posts

No, but boy is it light; at $400 if it works, great, if not, no big deal. Considerably more cost effective than the factory li-ion...
Old 10-02-2018, 01:10 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

However, reading deeper into the specs - it is only recommended for bikes 'up to 2500CCs' - this suggests that it may not like the power output of the 996s alternator...
Old 10-02-2018, 01:12 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This one may be more appropriate:

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...omotive/rs-30/

But, a little heavier.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 976 Likes on 542 Posts

Hi guys. Just wanted to chime in as well. If the 996 is used as in a daily driver application you would definitely go with the RS-30. If you talking strictly track/race use then the ATX-30 would be an option. The big difference here is the capacity of the batteries as the RS-30 has a much larger one which is needed for the draw of a daily driver car. We also have the adaptive mount compatible with both batteries to turn it into a group 48 size battery which makes for a nice clean install. Please let us know or feel free to message us directly with any other questions.
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/

Old 10-02-2018, 01:26 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So, what I said...
Old 10-02-2018, 01:36 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Website shows examples with and without the top bar & posts. Do you need the bar & posts if the adapter tray bolts to the battery from underneath?
Old 10-02-2018, 01:57 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by T Kono
Website shows examples with and without the top bar & posts. Do you need the bar & posts if the adapter tray bolts to the battery from underneath?
We would highly recommend to use the posts and top bar for the most secure fit. This picture is honestly just a visual to get a full view of the battery.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:17 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Old 10-02-2018, 02:30 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hi guys. Just wanted to chime in as well. If the 996 is used as in a daily driver application you would definitely go with the RS-30. If you talking strictly track/race use then the ATX-30 would be an option. The big difference here is the capacity of the batteries as the RS-30 has a much larger one which is needed for the draw of a daily driver car. We also have the adaptive mount compatible with both batteries to turn it into a group 48 size battery which makes for a nice clean install. Please let us know or feel free to message us directly with any other questions.

Well I may be talking to you about an RS-30 at some point then if DD use increases.
From what I read on them, it seemed like as long as no parasitic loss is happening the ATX-30 could work fine but perhaps I'm wrong?
My use of the car is mostly 1-3 hour drives on to get some decent seat time on less traveled roads and track days.
When you say the capacity is not enough for the draw of a DD, are you referring to accessories like lights, heat/AC, and radio? Or something else?
A terminal disconnect could be used for longer storage if a parasitic loss is something I end up having.
Thanks for your help!
Old 10-02-2018, 03:53 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 991 Posts

Hi Scott,
I am currently considering the 8.75lb 44Ah VPH-1200 with the following specifications:

https://www.voltphreaks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_27&products_id=35

There are tons of the VPH batteries used by professional many teams and have been thoroughly battle tested. Can you make a compelling argument for the 11.5 lb RS-30 compared to the 8.75lb VPH-1200, price aside?

What is the weight of the RS-30 battery mounting kit?
Does the RS-30 require a special Li-Io charger or can a standard charger be used?
What is the country of manufacture (not just country of assembly) of the RS-30?
Do you have any professional race teams using your batteries? If so, which?

Thank you....
Old 10-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Well I may be talking to you about an RS-30 at some point then if DD use increases.
From what I read on them, it seemed like as long as no parasitic loss is happening the ATX-30 could work fine but perhaps I'm wrong?
My use of the car is mostly 1-3 hour drives on to get some decent seat time on less traveled roads and track days.
When you say the capacity is not enough for the draw of a DD, are you referring to accessories like lights, heat/AC, and radio? Or something else?
A terminal disconnect could be used for longer storage if a parasitic loss is something I end up having.
Thanks for your help!
Hi, I get what you are saying.... so I will explain it like this....

Yes you can absolutely use the ATX-30 for a Daily Driver.... if you were very diligent you could even use something as small as our AG1601 at 3lbs... but that would need more attention and monitoring. So yes the ATX 30 could work fine, but you would have to check to make sure you don't have a large parasitic draw in you vehicle so you are not having to charge it every week. I know a Customer has a Cayman in Texas and he had and ATX30 sit over 7 weeks and it started fine.. and that's a long time for a smaller battery like that. I don't now about the Parasitic draw on a 997 though.

When we are talking Capacity we are NOT talking about the A/C and Accessories as the Car is running because your Alternator powers all the Accessories when the Car is running, the battery is only starting the car and being recharged and to a small degree buffering the system a bit. When we speak Capacity we are talking in relation to your car drawing energy from the battery while it is sitting. That is called Parasitic draw... its the draw from the electronics in your car that keep the cars system settings and other components energized. The car is taking mildly from the battery when it is not running... and sometimes it taking alot more than you think.

The reason why we don't just say "anybody can use the ATX30 for a Daily Driver" is because Capacity plays and important part in safety also. For example you run out of gas on a highway at night in the mountains.... we want you to be able to keep those flashers and electronics working for a good few hours since the motor isn't running and the alternator isn't powering stuff anymore. Also some people are just hanging out with others and might have the stereo going while over looking some view and eating lunch and chatting.... anyway the point is with more capacity you can do this stuff and be fine and not drain the battery fast. But yes it you are AWARE of the facts regarding batteries are are just driving you can use almost anything and be perfectly fine.

Also keep in mind that if you added any aftermarket stuff on your car those also usually create faster Parasitic drains on the battery... stuff like Cameras, electronics USB chargers, or aftermarket theft alarms. So just be aware.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:07 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Hi Scott,
I am currently considering the 8.75lb 44Ah VPH-1200 with the following specifications:

https://www.voltphreaks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_27&products_id=35

There are tons of the VPH batteries used by professional many teams and have been thoroughly battle tested. Can you make a compelling argument for the 11.5 lb RS-30 compared to the 8.75lb VPH-1200, price aside?
Does the RS-30 require a special Li-Io charger or can a standard charger be used?
Hey Powdrhound,

Volt Phreaks are good... its a fine battery.... I will point out some facts below, but it a quality unit. Pricing high, but as you said not to consider that. Don't go with Braille, they are boloney, they have no Battery Management System (BMS), it's a crock of hooey.

The RS-30 is a full and REAL 30Ah battery... and though Volt Phreaks are claiming their VPH-1200 is 44Ah, it isn't true. The reason I say that is because we all use a Lifepo4 Lithium Chemistry, and the fact is it all weighs roughly the same. So if you consider the fact that 1 Ah of Lithium in a cell pack without the case is about .25 pounds ... and when you run the numbers you will see that Volt Phreaks are claiming a weight of 8.75 lbs at 44Ah you will find this is not accurate, because to have a 44Ah Lithium battery it would have to weigh a minimum of 11 lbs and without a case. So their Ah is about 30 in real life when you run the math, not the 44Ah they claim. But now you can see our RS-30 weighs more. VP-1200....8.75 lbs compared to ours at 11.5lbs. So our extra weight on the RS-30 comes from the fact that we use a larger case and designed the case to be more of a automotive style battery with a footprint and terminal locations that are aligned with the automotive standard. Also being our case is of a thick-walled fire resistant plastic adds to the weight. But this is done intentionally so that in the event there is any thermal runaway issues with the battery our case can handle the heat much better and keep any issues more contained within the battery. So I will give them the weight advantage all day long, with ours being an overall safer structure. But have to say... on pricing we are half the price... and this is not due to lower quality, its due to volume and much larger scale... we probably sell 100 to 1 what Volt Phreaks does, but we are in more channels like off-road and Powersport and Motorcycles also.

2lbs... it makes the battery 13.5 lbs with the kit. But then the battery uses factory mounts without any mods to a Porsche after being put in the tray.

Does the RS-30 require a special Li-po charger or can a standard charger be used?
You should always use the proper charger for Lithium, which is a Lithium Charger. The reasons are that a Lead/Acid charger has the potential to go into its De-Sulphate Mode which can spike voltage if you put it on a lithium battery. Also a Lead Acid charger will keep cycling the battery at the end of the charge cycle to take into consideration the Lead/Acid Batteries "Natural Discharge" which Lithium does not have.

China for the RS-30.

I see above you brought up that VP is used by tons of Race Teams... and Braille is even beyond that, but that is in the "Street" segment. But we come from Off-Road, and have most of the teams using us on that side. I don't think Braille and VP would come over to our side because they would need to make a better battery that can handle it. Its a different level of abuse for a battery. We think that Road Racing is "sissy" stuff for our batteries (I'm kidding). Keep in mind we are in thousands of Street/Race Cars already and have been for many years, but it is not where we focused or marketed, so we are under the radar there. We only just started to focus on Street Cars this year when we saw that Category was getting the wool pulled over their eyes by Braille and their $1500 to $2000 dollar lithium batteries that had no protections or advanced Battery Management System... So we said let's develop that channel and show what we can do.

So we are in off-road as I said...so that means Baja, Lucas Oil Trophy Trucks, Nitro- Boats, WORCS, Best in the Desert, Supercross, Motocross, GNCC.... which many of you might not have heard of. But it basically the highest levels of Off-Road Racing in USA. We do Cars, Trucks, UTVs, Motorcycles etc...

So Robby Gordon is big name in off-road, and he's running our batteries and got the Pole position the last 2 years running for the Baja 1000 though he didn't win. Please realize we are starting 900 Horse power, High Compression V8 motors that needs a 15 to 20 second priming to get them started. Then these Vehicles go roughly 1000 miles over the next 24hours on the roughest terrain the world.. That include team Honda, and Yamaha and Kawasaki also in the bikes.

Then we also do bikes and UTVs and ATVs big time in the WORCS, and GNCC, and we have Walker Fowler (Team Yamaha) who is the Champion of GNCC ATV Racing the last 3 year every year running our stuff without a failure. Then Chad Weien (Team Yamaha) 7 time Champion in ATVMX. Now keep in mind GNCC is also massivly muddy with river crossings, and WORCS is open desert with Sand whoops for miles. So this is not a road circuit with some Road and Engine Vibration... this is massive hits and slams and vibration that wreaks so much havoc that only some of the vehicles can finish the races because it is so hard on the vehicles. That is why I jokingly called Street as "sissy" stuff.

Then we have the Nitrochondriac team using us in Boat Racing... cool video if you don't know about top fuel hydros

We do Freestyle Motocross... we are in most all those bikes... Ronnie Renner multi-time X-Games Gold Medalist, and Destin Cantrell you can see this video of what they do and why they need a lightweight battery.

So it sort of relative to the channel your in, sure you may not have heard of us... it's quite understandable, but don't think that not having heard of us is relative to what we do or how good our product is. We actually brought the first mini Jump Starters to market in 2013. Our MICRO-START XP-10 was rated "Best Rated Jump Starter" by Consumer Reports. We've been around since 2010 and all we do is Lithium Products. But we are now here focusing on the Street side now so we will soon be getting the brand better known over here.

You can also learn more by going over to the GT3 forum... we had a 25page thread going on over there during a group buy a couple months ago.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...for-2-gt3.html

Last edited by Antigravity; 10-03-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 10-03-2018, 12:39 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd say that's a pretty solid resume! All good info, thanks.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:56 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Hi, I get what you are saying.... so I will explain it like this....

Yes you can absolutely use the ATX-30 for a Daily Driver.... if you were very diligent you could even use something as small as our AG1601 at 3lbs... but that would need more attention and monitoring. So yes the ATX 30 could work fine, but you would have to check to make sure you don't have a large parasitic draw in you vehicle so you are not having to charge it every week. I know a Customer has a Cayman in Texas and he had and ATX30 sit over 7 weeks and it started fine.. and that's a long time for a smaller battery like that. I don't now about the Parasitic draw on a 997 though.

When we are talking Capacity we are NOT talking about the A/C and Accessories as the Car is running because your Alternator powers all the Accessories when the Car is running, the battery is only starting the car and being recharged and to a small degree buffering the system a bit. When we speak Capacity we are talking in relation to your car drawing energy from the battery while it is sitting. That is called Parasitic draw... its the draw from the electronics in your car that keep the cars system settings and other components energized. The car is taking mildly from the battery when it is not running... and sometimes it taking alot more than you think.

The reason why we don't just say "anybody can use the ATX30 for a Daily Driver" is because Capacity plays and important part in safety also. For example you run out of gas on a highway at night in the mountains.... we want you to be able to keep those flashers and electronics working for a good few hours since the motor isn't running and the alternator isn't powering stuff anymore. Also some people are just hanging out with others and might have the stereo going while over looking some view and eating lunch and chatting.... anyway the point is with more capacity you can do this stuff and be fine and not drain the battery fast. But yes it you are AWARE of the facts regarding batteries are are just driving you can use almost anything and be perfectly fine.

Also keep in mind that if you added any aftermarket stuff on your car those also usually create faster Parasitic drains on the battery... stuff like Cameras, electronics USB chargers, or aftermarket theft alarms. So just be aware.
Thanks for all your excellent replies here and on the other thread.
I have one of these and it claims to have Lithium mode do you have any experience or feedback on using one with the ATX30?
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Antigravity ATX-30 Battery