Sponsored by:

Carbon/Leather Steering Wheel Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 09:07 PM
bhobson
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon/Leather Steering Wheel Cracked

The top carbon fiber piece of my steering wheel is cracked. 1) Should I even get it fixed (2001 911 TT) or is this just something that happens to cars of this vintage and adds to it's "charm"? 2) If I should get it fixed who have people used and have the done a good job? I would want it back to OEM original condition.

Thanks

See cracks along the top piece of steering wheel carbon fiber.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:32 AM
pancing
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts

That just looks like cracks in the coating, you can sand that down and recoat it with epoxy or use some clear lacquer.
Just be glad yours isnt wood ,my shifter split and I had to use marine epoxy to recoat it.
if you want to avoid cracking like that avoid parking in hot sun and get a sun shade, use 303 aerospace protectant every 3 weeks or so.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:11 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately the CF Porsche used in our cars is horrible. I don't know the cause, but my guess is that the hardener was flawed and cannot withstand the swelling and constricting over time. Be glad it's just your steering wheel. For me, it's my shift ****, My brake handle (also missing the release button), my center console, my door handles, my door pocket covers and my gauge surround. My car originally came with a CF steering wheel also, but by the time I bought it, had been replaced with a leather wrapped wheel. But I have my suspicions why it was changed DCTMS as well as Dallas Custom Steering Wheel can fix it for ya. Give them both a call and find out what they can do and how much. They've both got some really cool options as well if you want something custom with your wheel like a flatbottom or a 12 o'clock stripe etc. Here's their sites
http://www.dallascustomsteeringwheel.com/
http://www.dctms.com/
Old 08-30-2018, 08:18 AM
tnE30fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain, OP. My carbon steering wheel also has a few cracks. ScottKelly911 links to a couple of good options. I looked at DCTMS before, but only now noticed that they offer an OEM-looking option, which is what I want.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:18 AM
bhobson
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for your thoughts. I am across craftcustoms.com (also in TX). I sent them photos and they came back with a restoration cost of $499. They un stitch the leather...redo the CF and then restitch it back up. Sounds like a good deal to me. Anyone had any experience with this company?

@pancing I like your suggestion of 303. My dealer said even a microfiber cloth will scratch the CF. Any truth/experience with that?

Thanks All
Old 08-30-2018, 03:37 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bhobson
My dealer said even a microfiber cloth will scratch the CF. Any truth/experience with that?

Thanks All
Not true, at least not if the proper resin system is used. Also, people have had good success using several coatings of automotive clear coat (after removing original resin of course). You can use microfiber on clear coat, you can definitely use microfiber on finished composites.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:57 PM
pancing
Drifting

Originally Posted by bhobson
Thank you all for your thoughts. I am across craftcustoms.com (also in TX). I sent them photos and they came back with a restoration cost of $499. They un stitch the leather...redo the CF and then restitch it back up. Sounds like a good deal to me. Anyone had any experience with this company?

@pancing I like your suggestion of 303. My dealer said even a microfiber cloth will scratch the CF. Any truth/experience with that?

Thanks All
proper hardening and the use of a good clear wont scratch. Unless youre using a really crappy dollar store mf cloth. But for a bit more than 499 you can find a used one eventually. If i were you id try diy first and if it doesnt look good then spend 499.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:05 PM
pancing
Drifting

If you do trt it yourself use a good marine epoxy like west 105 and a good clear like wurth. If you need help just youtube how to restore cf trim. I learned how to do this stuff from a relative but following utube is pretty much the same. And it wont get angry if you ask for the fourth time if they can do that again.

Quick Reply: Carbon/Leather Steering Wheel Cracked