Sponsored by:

Should I drop the engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 11:10 AM
ktr6
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Should I drop the engine

Looking for some wisdom, I have an 02 996 turbo I am finally in a position to work on. I am planning on new turbos/exhaust/injectors, replace a leaking oil line, and the car needs a new clutch. I guess my question is, would it be easier to just go ahead and drop the entire driveline and get everything done with the engine out?? I have a hydraulic table and the exhaust/turbos/rear bumper etc are already off of the car. Thanks in advance
Old 08-22-2018, 02:29 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

drop the entire driveline. since your doing a clutch its 10 times easier to reinstall with the driveline out of the car. also pin or weld the coolant fittings replace all the rubber hoses and vacuum lines while the engine3 is out
Old 08-23-2018, 09:51 AM
ktr6
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
drop the entire driveline. since your doing a clutch its 10 times easier to reinstall with the driveline out of the car. also pin or weld the coolant fittings replace all the rubber hoses and vacuum lines while the engine3 is out
Thanks for the input, think I am going to go ahead and drop it so I can get everything done. Headed to Harbor Freight to get a hydraulic lift table this afternoon to make the job a little easier. I think I can get it out by the end of the weekend.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:31 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

If you need to call for tips feel free I have dropped mine dozens of times
Old 08-23-2018, 11:35 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 251 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by ktr6
Thanks for the input, think I am going to go ahead and drop it so I can get everything done. Headed to Harbor Freight to get a hydraulic lift table this afternoon to make the job a little easier. I think I can get it out by the end of the weekend.
Make sure you purchase the 1000 lb model. Also, the tables from HF tend to leak-down when they are jacked-up. I returned one that wouldn't hold weight beyond a couple of hrs before it retracted. The second one was better but still would leak-down. I suggest that you load up the table with 300-500 lbs of weight and test it overnight before dropping your engine. I used a 50 gal garbage can and filled it with water and monitored overnight.

Quick Reply: Should I drop the engine