Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto dimming rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 06:56 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes I did, followed some advice from different links and was easy but a little unnerving as you have to use some force. I did break the windshield on my 928 years ago while replacing mirror= I was too heavy handed. Give it a try just go slow.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:13 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

These guys repaired my M5 mirror. It's seems more prevalent with that model. If you search for BMW M5 mirror repair you'll see lots of YouTube videos on the process. It will be the same.

http://www.radar-mirror.com/Mirror_Repair.html

Removal link

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/676-rearview-mirror-removal/

Last edited by autobonrun; 07-06-2018 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 07-07-2018, 01:29 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Thanks for the suggestions.

Is the c-clamp actually designed to move enough to get it out of the slot on one side, or is this just a process of muscling up on it enough to get the mirror off.

Additionally, I assume there is a c-clamp on each side. Does it take only releasing some of the pressure of the c-clamp on one side to get the mirror off?
once you see the clamp you will understand how it releases. just pop one side off. i was talking about radar repair shop
Old 07-07-2018, 02:04 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
These guys repaired my M5 mirror. It's seems more prevalent with that model. If you search for BMW M5 mirror repair you'll see lots of YouTube videos on the process. It will be the same.

http://www.radar-mirror.com/Mirror_Repair.html

Removal link

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...irror-removal/
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

My auto dimming rear view mirror has developed a "blob" defect behind the glass. Nothing is dripping out of the mirror, but I have plastic bag wrapped around the mirror just in case.

My plan is to remove the mirror and send it to Radar-Mirror.com for repair.

I searched for good DIY mirror removal instructions but can't find anything definitive.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have suggestions regarding the safe removal of the mirror that avoids damage to the windshield or associated mirror parts?
2. Can anyone provide feedback on Radar-Mirror.com?
When this happened to my car I bought a new mirror. The tech at local dealer removed the old mirror and installed the new one. I didn't watch close enough to be able to offer any instructions/advice other than than tech mentioned the rain sensing sensor is up there somewhere and the wiring connector needs to be disconnected when the mirror is being removed and then connected when the mirror is installed.

After 25.5 months -- just out of warranty -- the new mirror developed the same look as the old mirror.

I sent the original mirror out the Radar-Mirror.com and after a reasonable time the mirror came back repaired. Again I had the tech remove the bad replacement mirror and install the repaired original mirror. Had I kept the car I was going to send the replacement mirror to Radar-Mirror.com and have it repaired and keep it as a spare or sell it.

Anyhow, Radar-MIrror.com service was very good and the price (around $100 -- I did not get the extended/lifetime (?) warranty) was acceptable. I do not know how the mirror held up as I sold the car.

Based on my experience I'd recommend Radar-Mirror.com to have the auto dimming rear view mirror repaired.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
When this happened to my car I bought a new mirror. The tech at local dealer removed the old mirror and installed the new one. I didn't watch close enough to be able to offer any instructions/advice other than than tech mentioned the rain sensing sensor is up there somewhere and the wiring connector needs to be disconnected when the mirror is being removed and then connected when the mirror is installed.

After 25.5 months -- just out of warranty -- the new mirror developed the same look as the old mirror.

I sent the original mirror out the Radar-Mirror.com and after a reasonable time the mirror came back repaired. Again I had the tech remove the bad replacement mirror and install the repaired original mirror. Had I kept the car I was going to send the replacement mirror to Radar-Mirror.com and have it repaired and keep it as a spare or sell it.

Anyhow, Radar-MIrror.com service was very good and the price (around $100 -- I did not get the extended/lifetime (?) warranty) was acceptable. I do not know how the mirror held up as I sold the car.

Based on my experience I'd recommend Radar-Mirror.com to have the auto dimming rear view mirror repaired.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:21 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So far (up to disconnecting the auto dimming electrical plug) the mirror removal has been a snap, although I'm wondering how I'll get the LED light and its bright/dim switch back in its correct location when I put everything back together.

Is there an easy way, or trick to disconnecting the auto dimming wiring plug? I can't get it apart.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:40 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

the circuit board goes in vertical with the led bulb pointing down. it only fits one way. im trying to remeber but i think you squeeze the plug and pull it apart. should be easy to see if you remove the mirror and do the plug last

saw this today dock might be of interest to you. he is in atl.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...irror-kit.html

Last edited by 32krazy!; 07-07-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
the circuit board goes in vertical with the led bulb pointing down. it only fits one way.
I don't see a slot for it in the housing. Also, the plunger switch has to go through the hole on the driver's side of the clam shell housing.

I'll work on it when the mirror goes back in. The LED just dropped out when I removed the clam shell.

im trying to remeber but i think you squeeze the plug and pull it apart. should be easy to see if you remove the mirror and do the plug last.
The mirror is free from the mount and the connector is the only thing left to be able to walk away with the mirror in hand.

The 6speed link talks about inserting a small screwdriver somewhere on the connection and releasing the catch(s). I tried a couple of places but it won't release.

saw this today dock might be of interest to you. he is in atl.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...irror-kit.html
Thanks.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:30 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I had to swap out the rear view mirror about 2 years ago...it actually broke (cracked) at the ball socket fitting where the mirror attached to the mount. Takes 5 minutes to do the remove & replace. Well 5 minutes and close to $500 dollars. I tried several options used, but since my '02 has the electronic rain sensing mirror nothing else would work so I bought a new replacement from either Suncoast or Pelican.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:43 AM
LLTurbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Separting the wire harness

I don't see a slot for it in the housing. Also, the plunger switch has to go through the hole on the driver's side of the clam shell housing.

I'll work on it when the mirror goes back in. The LED just dropped out when I removed the clam shell.

The mirror is free from the mount and the connector is the only thing left to be able to walk away with the mirror in hand.

The 6speed link talks about inserting a small screwdriver somewhere on the connection and releasing the catch(s). I tried a couple of places but it won't release.

Thanks.
i just removed mine today and separating the wire harness was the hardest part. I used an eyeglass screwdriver. The female side of the harness is attached to the mirror and the male side attached to the mount. Slide the eyeglass screwdriver between the two from the top and twist the screwdriver slightly to create space so the tab holding the two pieces releases. It’s not an easy procedure - two sides of the harness have identical tabs and it did this gently on each side until it finally released. I’m sending mine off to radar mirror tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:48 AM
LLTurbo
Advanced

Here’s the post that helped me ... think it’s for a 997, but my ‘03 mirror looks identical: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3584448
Old 07-09-2018, 03:17 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LLTurbo
Slide the eyeglass screwdriver between the two from the top and twist the screwdriver slightly to create space so the tab holding the two pieces releases. It’s not an easy procedure - two sides of the harness have identical tabs and it did this gently on each side until it finally released.
Did you apply separating pressure between the two ends while alternatively inserting the screwdriver into each side? And how far did you insert the screwdriver?
Old 07-09-2018, 03:41 AM
LLTurbo
Advanced

Yes, I tried to keep some separating pressure while inserting the flathead screwdriver down to the top of the tab and then twisting it 90 degrees to separate the clip. Again this was a tiny eyeglass screwdriver. I had to fiddle with it a few times and was ready to give up when the thing finally separated.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:44 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LLTurbo
Yes, I tried to keep some separating pressure while inserting the flathead screwdriver down to the top of the tab and then twisting it 90 degrees to separate the clip. Again this was a tiny eyeglass screwdriver. I had to fiddle with it a few times and was ready to give up when the thing finally separated.
Is the clip location identifiable from the outside, or did you slide the screwdriver in until you felt the clip?

Quick Reply: Auto dimming rear view mirror