Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need Ohlins if Im not racing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:09 AM
nelsontod
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Do I really need Ohlins if Im not racing?

Do I really need Ohlins if Im not racing?

wont oem replacements work just fine? Bilstein B4
Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

You certainly don't need them but you should want them. I did the H&R springs with b8 shocks and the car is much better behaved during spirited driving, but it is a bit harsh and was way too low. I think they will allow me not to lift through turn 1 at Laguna. I needed some custom shims to get it back to GT2 height. If you can afford it, go with the Ohlins, i cheaped out
Old 04-24-2018, 11:27 AM
Evolution
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 51 Posts

I had Ohlins put on a couple months ago... so still relatively new to them.
No intention to track my Turbo so my use case is street-only.
Confirming that they are an optimal street system.

I couldn't be happier with them. The adjustability is legitimately useful and impactful. I softened the car on Saturday for a long day driving with my girlfriend, and firmed it up Sunday morning for local back roads. Across the spectrum it maintains composure and has yet to present a single compromise on the street. Even worked well on a bumpy gravel entrance to a park we like to hike on Sunday afternoon. It was an interesting weekend in terms of having a broad set of needs, and rather than having to merely tolerate those extremes (highway, comfort, aggressive back roads) with a system that isn't as easily adaptable, of this level of quality, or well-tuned; it never failed to work exceptionally for every purpose... and only requires 2 minutes to adjust the corners.

I think this is an enhancement that works organically with the 996TT platform but modernizes it to the best in suspension tech today. Knowing what I know about this system, there's no doubt I would pay a several $K premium for a 996TT with them. Typically mods have drawbacks in some respect, but this is really a legit enhancement that exceeds OEM and could be found on Ruf, Singer, etc.

-Joe
Old 04-24-2018, 01:59 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Evolution
The adjustability is legitimately useful and impactful. I softened the car on Saturday for a long day driving with my girlfriend, and firmed it up Sunday morning for local back roads.
I have an adjustable suspension on one of my other sports cars, and have ended up just leaving it on a firmer setting all of the time regardless of the roads I'm driving. My 996 Turbo has the X73 suspension (it is not adjustable) and its ride is every bit as firm as my other car. Do both cars have a firm ride during highway/Interstate cruising? Yes. The reason why I put up with the ride these suspensions provide on these roads is because I never know when I'm going to want to push the cornering on a cloverleaf, or when I'm going to jump off the highway/Interstate and drive some curves for awhile. Having an adjustable suspension on my other car allowed me to find out that for me adjustability is a wasted feature.

The X73 suspension on my Turbo improves the handling at Interstate speeds so much that the trade-off of having a stiffer ride is well worth it; it drives like a sports car all of the time.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:05 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I've got the PSS9 Euro version (stiffer springs since its a cab). I agree with Dock...I did play around with adjustments at first, but once I got the sweet spot, never adjusted again. I agree that aftermarket shocks can be a significantly better ride, but don't think Ohlins are the only choice. YMMV.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:26 PM
nelsontod
Burning Brakes

great feedback. I think I am going to stick with the oem replacements then. thanks!...besides, since I dont track, and, im not really that aggressive of a driver, I can think of a better place to spend 5K on the car.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:34 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nelsontod
great feedback. I think I am going to stick with the oem replacements then. thanks!...besides, since I dont track, and, im not really that aggressive of a driver, I can think of a better place to spend 5K on the car.
My 996 Turbo has never seen the track, but I appreciate the handling improvements X73 provides on public roads.

Additionally, I felt that some kind of suspension change was needed if for no other reason than to address the ride height of the car.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:39 PM
nelsontod
Burning Brakes

yes....gaps, ride heights, stance.etc etc etc. from what I have seen, it usually end up being to low. I feel the natural sag that I have now is perfect.....lol

Old 04-24-2018, 02:53 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

from what I have seen, it usually end up being to low.
I agree.

IMO, many 996 Turbo's have too much of a "slammed" look regarding ride height.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:03 PM
Evolution
Pro

Originally Posted by Dock
I agree.

IMO, many 996 Turbo's have too much of a "slammed" look regarding ride height.
Agree. Slammed is too much, but at a properly lowered ride height, 911's are transformed!
Old 04-24-2018, 03:50 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

ohlins r&t are only 2500$ and your going to find you spend almost as much for oem non adjustable non rebuildable setups. give the ohlins a look. its a very very good setup and well worth the money. you can set it up for stock height lowered and as firm and as soft as you want . simple turn opf a **** on each corner. cant do that with oem setup
Old 04-24-2018, 03:55 PM
nelsontod
Burning Brakes

I will get an out the door quote on the ohlins for sure.

Last edited by nelsontod; 04-24-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:12 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,590 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
ohlins r&t are only 2500$ and your going to find you spend almost as much for oem non adjustable non rebuildable setups. give the ohlins a look. its a very very good setup and well worth the money. you can set it up for stock height lowered and as firm and as soft as you want . simple turn opf a **** on each corner. cant do that with oem setup
+1. Just buy the Ohlins and be very happy.

IMHO the North American OEm springs and damper setup on these cars sucks. If you going to pay for all that labor to replace it upgrade to the Ohlins.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:24 PM
Evolution
Pro

Performance Shock in Sonoma was the best Ohlins pricing to my door when I was researching. Call and ask for Ben.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:31 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

this is a great way to get to know your car. its a 4 out of 10 in difficulty to install and setup. common tools are all thats needed and oem top hats can be reused front and rear. if you go lower the look for spome adj drop links. tarret and torque solutions carry them

Quick Reply: Do I really need Ohlins if Im not racing?