Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need Ohlins if Im not racing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018 | 05:45 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
this is a great way to get to know your car. its a 4 out of 10 in difficulty to install and setup. common tools are all thats needed and oem top hats can be reused front and rear. if you go lower the look for spome adj drop links. tarret and torque solutions carry them
Really? And alignment and corner balancing after you've installed them...hmmmm
Old 04-24-2018 | 06:10 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Really? And alignment and corner balancing after you've installed them...hmmmm
front coilovers have 3 bolts on top 1 pinch bolt on the spindle. once you pop the oem coil spring off the perch to release the pressure you reove the steering rack to spindle bolt pull down on the coilover and angle it outside the fenderwell and slide it out of the spindle.

rears are simply 3 bolts inside the cabin under the computer carpet and 1 bolt on the lca. again pop the coil off the perch and remove them. ohlins are even easier to reinstall. assemble them loosley and slide them in place then adjust height to were you want it

i used firestone which has an in ground alignment rack cost was 90$. no corner balance needed for street cars.
Old 04-24-2018 | 06:33 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

You are, of course, way more mechanically inclined and way more experienced than I and likely have all the tools you need...and can put your car on a rack. I don't know what your 1-10 scale means as I would guess it is a scale you created for yourself, but I understand your point. All I can say is when I watched the mechanic install and align/CB mine it was not easy...I also have a cab...YMMV
Old 04-24-2018 | 06:42 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

You are, of course, way more mechanically inclined and way more experienced than I and likely have all the tools you need...and can put your car on a rack. I don't know what your 1-10 scale means as I would guess it is a scale you created for yourself, but I understand your point. All I can say is when I watched the mechanic install and align/CB mine it was not easy...I also have a cab...YMMV
cab shouldnt change it that much. do 1 corner at a time on jackstand. common metric wrenches from 15 to 22 is all thats needed.
Old 04-24-2018 | 07:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You are, of course, way more mechanically inclined and way more experienced than I and likely have all the tools you need...and can put your car on a rack.
And he may enjoy working on his car(s). I personally don't get much (any?) satisfaction out of working on my cars anymore. I have to work up my motivation just to change the oil in my 996 Turbo and truck. I have a mechanic change the oil on my other cars. I stopped changing the plugs on my Turbo two sets ago and now just take it to my mechanic when they need changing. My interest in working on my cars falls way below my interest in doing my hobbies and other activities.
Old 04-25-2018 | 08:17 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nelsontod
I will get an out the door quote on the ohlins for sure.
be certain you ask if you need to purchase additional "bits" to make them work on your application.
A friend just re-worked a poorly installed set of ohlins on an 04GT3 and felt they were not truly plug-n-play.
he was also not impressed with the ride height adjustment method on the ohlins.
but
that's the first bad review i've heard of them.

just go into it with open eyes.

Craig
Old 04-25-2018 | 11:53 PM
RangerDick
Instructor

The Ohlins will install similar to the Bilsteins.

I did a summary write up installing PSS-10's:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...l#post14102107

It's not too difficult. If anyone lives in the SF Bay area, I have a 2 post lift and will be willing to help. After I posted, Amazon now sells Ohlins on their website. I guess I was a year too early. This is not rocket science. Bolts are lefty loosey and righty tighty. some creative use of pry bars and small impact devices and you can put it together quite easily.
Old 04-26-2018 | 10:21 AM
Evolution
Pro

Originally Posted by cgfen
be certain you ask if you need to purchase additional "bits" to make them work on your application.
A friend just re-worked a poorly installed set of ohlins on an 04GT3 and felt they were not truly plug-n-play.
he was also not impressed with the ride height adjustment method on the ohlins.
but
that's the first bad review i've heard of them.

just go into it with open eyes.

Craig
I had the opposite experience; sounds to me like a botched install.
  • These were plug and play with zero additional parts required (aside from needing to add the Ohlins rear adjuster extension kit because my car has Bose)
  • The rest of my suspension is 100% stock and we did GT2 alignment with ease
  • My tech texted me during the install not only to tell me they're the nicest units he's seen so far, but that install was a breeze - everything lined up perfectly
  • After install, there were zero seating issues, noises, or imperfections
  • As far as ride height is concerned, you have 20mm of adjustability, which was plenty for my aesthetic goals (I wanted low but not slammed)
    • I still have 10mm left to drop it but feel -10mm is perfect
I obviously sound like an intractable fanboy, but the reality is that I'm just super impressed with this setup. Results may vary and satisfaction is subjective, but I'm over the moon with mine.

-Joe
Old 04-26-2018 | 11:23 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Evolution
I had the opposite experience; sounds to me like a botched install.
  • My tech texted me during the install not only to tell me they're the nicest units he's seen so far, but that install was a breeze - everything lined up perfectly
I obviously sound like an intractable fanboy, but the reality is that I'm just super impressed with this setup. Results may vary and satisfaction is subjective, but I'm over the moon with mine.

-Joe
And YOU did not do the install...
Old 04-26-2018 | 12:16 PM
Evolution
Pro

And YOU did not do the install...
That is correct, however I'm not sure how it's relevant to Nelson's question or the evolution of this conversation.

In my mind, we're talking about (1) val prop and utility of Ohlins R&T versus alternatives and (2) Ohlins R&T application to our cars, specifically leaning on those with real-world experience and first-hand knowledge. I'm offering truthful data and my perspective as somebody who had a flawless experience with this system and find it my responsibility to communicate my experience, particularly where it differs with somebody else's to ensure the OP has a full scope of our collective thoughts.

I'm not sure what you're implying, if anything at all, but me vs. my tech seems irrelevant in terms of establishing the fact that the install and GT2 alignment went without issue on an otherwise stock suspension. Many-to-most people will not be installing these themselves, so using an experienced 911 tech should be an acceptable assumption for many Ohlins prospects.

-Joe
Old 04-26-2018 | 01:45 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Joe, no disrespect intended regarding your opinions...admittedly I probably jacked the thread when there was a discussion about how easy coilovers are to replace. I do think there are a number of options available that are superior to stock coilovers. I don't know what val prop is? First hand experience is often good, but seldom is that person's opinion much value in comparisons because usually they don't try all of them before buying (and of course we are biased to think our decision was the best).

Oh and the reason we went down this path was the cost of the set-up. How much did yours cost installed?

Last edited by wross996tt; 04-26-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2018 | 03:35 PM
bugeyemilo
Rennlist Member

Do you need them? No.

Will you love them? YES.

one of the best suspensions I've driven in a street car.
Old 04-26-2018 | 05:58 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

+1
Old 04-27-2018 | 05:27 PM
Evolution
Pro

Joe, no disrespect intended regarding your opinions...admittedly I probably jacked the thread when there was a discussion about how easy coilovers are to replace. I do think there are a number of options available that are superior to stock coilovers. I don't know what val prop is? First hand experience is often good, but seldom is that person's opinion much value in comparisons because usually they don't try all of them before buying (and of course we are biased to think our decision was the best).

Oh and the reason we went down this path was the cost of the set-up. How much did yours cost installed?
No worries - all valid questions. There certainly are options, but it also appears that the largest number of vocal coilover responders are Ohlins owners. We also seem to be extremely enthusiastic about our decisions. And we feel that way for a reason!

Val prop - Value proposition. Since Ohlins aren't a $10K option but are largely growing as peoples' choice as the biggest the best road-going option, I think the marginal incremental cost against lower-priced options is well worth it. My install and alignment was $1K. So add to that the price of the Ohlins (which varies based on retailer, but is basically $2.5-3K), you're not really that much more in the hole than most other coilovers.

Totally hear you, and agree, with regard to peoples' opinions. That said, there's really nothing in it for me to express my opinion one way or another. All I know is that I value the quality content on these forums, and have pretty significant experience with a lot of cars, so I like to contribute to the brain trust. And as objectively as possible. So basically, in my mind, having experienced a lot of cars, the Ohlins are so impressive in comparison to my stock 996TT suspension AND other sports cars/exotics, I like to verbalize my thoughts for those who are considering them.

But of course, caveat emptor.
Old 04-27-2018 | 05:31 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Nice post Joe.

Quick Reply: Do I really need Ohlins if Im not racing?