Sponsored by:

ECU reprogramming through the Diagnostic Port

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 09:05 PM
jlee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU reprogramming through the Diagnostic Port

I am looking into ECU reprogramming by a company called Revo Technik. According to their website they can do the reprogram through the diagnostic port(available in January). Is this going to be a new trend that other turners will soon follow? If it is, that would be nice!
Old 12-29-2003, 10:49 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Default Re: ECU reprogramming through the Diagnostic Port

Originally posted by jlee
I am looking into ECU reprogramming by a company called Revo Technik. According to their website they can do the reprogram through the diagnostic port(available in January). Is this going to be a new trend that other turners will soon follow? If it is, that would be nice!
Any website?? I work for a tuner and would like to show my boss and get his opinion...haven't heard of anything like this yet...
Evan
Old 12-30-2003, 05:48 AM
Chris Y.
Racer

Evan...

Here is the site below:
http://www.revotechnik.com/usa/usrevo.html

I think they said sometime this year as far as availabilities for Porsche.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:16 AM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Chris Y.
Evan...

Here is the site below:
http://www.revotechnik.com/usa/usrevo.html

I think they said sometime this year as far as availabilities for Porsche.
Thanks
Evan
Old 12-30-2003, 10:58 AM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Serial port programming and that technology is nothing new. If Bosch and Porsche have any software updates for your engine computer, guess how they upload? Directly through the serial port.

The OEM's are not the only companies to have this technology. GIAC has had the ability to do this type of programming for years. GIAC has been actively working on perfecting if for their dealer network, but there are a few reasons why this has not yet been relased yet.

One problem is that once your aftermarket tuner uploads the program, it is very easy for someone with basic tools to read and steal. This is intellectual property that the programmer wants to keep his or her own. GIAC is currently perfecting the ability to make it un-readable.

Another downside is if there is an update to your factory code and the dealer tries to upload it, the aftermarket program can be overwritten. Another issue we have heard is that updates or even the initial downloading of the performance software have caused the DME's to lock up and not start the car. The only way to fix it is to replace the DME with a new unit.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:31 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally posted by Mike/A.W.E.
Another downside is if there is an update to your factory code and the dealer tries to upload it, the aftermarket program can be overwritten. Another issue we have heard is that updates or even the initial downloading of the performance software have caused the DME's to lock up and not start the car. The only way to fix it is to replace the DME with a new unit.
So......isn't it generally advisable that if you have a modified DME, that you just stay clear of 'updates' from Pcars & dlr?
Old 12-30-2003, 12:29 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GreggT
So......isn't it generally advisable that if you have a modified DME, that you just stay clear of 'updates' from Pcars & dlr?
How would you suggest staying clear without raising eyebrows at the dealer?
Old 12-30-2003, 01:06 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't know, but I don't see a problem with just taking a 'pass' on updates....it's your car (and most of us are pretty **** about them in one way or another....why not this way).

As a sidebar....in my biz, we deal with all sorts of hardware that hangs on dif networks w/dif OS........some of our stuff could be continually reflashed & updated (for one reason or another that may or may not be relevant to what we are trying to do)........on the other hand, the update may cause us more problems than it's worth, or best case, just be a waste of time.
It's interesting sometimes to just ask the question, exactly what are the specific changes effected by this update, and exactly what will be all the affects of same?
Pretty hard to get a good answer on this one (yet you may hear, take the update, trust us).
Old 12-30-2003, 01:54 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The EPA mandated SAE J2534 for all MY2003 and newer cars. The intent of which is to allow standardized third party ECU upgrades among other things. Anything after MY96 should be supported. January 5th is supposed to be the next milestone for public release of information so we will see what happens after that date.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:48 PM
jlee
Instructor

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Mike/A.W.E.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if the reprogram is done by having the chip removed, it will not be affected when the dealer tries to upload the updates?
Old 12-30-2003, 08:29 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by jlee
quote:
So if the reprogram is done by having the chip removed, it will not be affected when the dealer tries to upload the updates?
Depends on the tuner....I know FVD and GIAC cannot be overwritten, but nothing beyond that...
Evan

Quick Reply: ECU reprogramming through the Diagnostic Port