Sponsored by:

In Re Safety: HANS Device And Recaro HANS Seat

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
Default In Re Safety: HANS Device And Recaro HANS Seat

Once every so often I have the opportunity to speak with club racers who are interested in some of the projects upon which I am working. While much of what I have been doing may not be applicable to certain levels of club racing, a theme that applies to all forms of racing is safety. In this regard, all Rennlisters are no doubt familiar with the HANS Device (www.hansdevice.com) -- something that one would suggest be used by all racers. One of the reasons (i.e., excuses) often given for not using it is comfort via-a-vis the driver's seat. Now, however, Recaro (Porsche's historical and current OE race car seat supplier and the supplier of the seats for the Carrera GT) has come out with a seat that is built to improve the interface between seat and the HANS Device -- the Recaro Pro Racer SPG HANS®. I have no direct or indirect affiliation with HANS or Recaro but would most strenuously suggest looking at this combination as among the best possible investments that any racer can make.

Last edited by Robert Linton; 12-28-2003 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:39 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robert:

What are your thoughts on Hans for just typical DE's. I would definitely do it for racing but how justifiable is it for lapping days?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm pretty simple. The cost of the HANS is far less than one day in intensive care and certainly less than a life in a chair. As such, and given one cannot be reasonable for accidents, track imperfections or the mistakes of others, I would be more than tempted to use it.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:17 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

I'm leaning toward getting one. How uncomfortable and difficult are they to incorporate into a GT-3 seat? I know they can run $1,500.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:00 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

A HANS device does not cost $1500. You can get one for $865 or a slightly lighter one for $1135. It should work fine with your GT3 seats.

www.hansdevice.com

The Recaro seat does retail at $1550.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:46 AM
Chris Y.
Racer

Robert & Greg...

I've always looked at getting the HANS device and will be pulling the trigger shortly.

For the lighter pro model...does lighter mean it's more comfortable while wearing it? Any other differences? When I bought my new Schroth harness, I specified HANS as with the Stand 21 Helmet...is there any other components that are needed...???

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2003, 04:20 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Here is a good description and picture of what is needed. I will be ordering mine here very soon. It is cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned...

http://www.hms-motorsport.com/store.php?b=ha
Old 12-30-2003, 11:40 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Chris Y.
Robert & Greg...

For the lighter pro model...does lighter mean it's more comfortable while wearing it? Any other differences? When I bought my new Schroth harness, I specified HANS as with the Stand 21 Helmet...is there any other components that are needed...???

Thanks!
I have friends that have both models and no one complains about comfort or the small amount of extra weight in the std. version. I think for longer enduros like a 24hr race or so it might make a difference, but that is reaching a bit IMO.

One thing about the schroth hans-specific belts is that if someone is not wearing a HANS they should not use those belts.

Sounds like you are set up well, might want to practice getting out of your car without opening the door and see if a quick release for the HANS would be neccesary or beneficial. I know I will get one as it is very tough to get out of my race car with the door closed, add a HANS and it is even more so.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:16 AM
racer63
Racer

Default HANS

I've used a HANS for 3 years now - bought it just before my son was born as that event made me start to feel more mortal.

At this point I am completely used to it... I feel naked without it.

It really only took one weekend to get used to it. Now it's just another thing that I do each time I get ready to go out on track. It doesn't impact ingress or egress. About the only thing that it does impact is navigating the pits, when you need to be able to pivot your head a bit more (than on the track).

I bought the ligher weight version. But, honestly, I don't see why the heavier version would be any different. The weight sits squarely on your shoulders. It's not like it is acting on your neck muscles (where, for example, a lighter weight helmet can be a nice addition).
Old 12-31-2003, 10:20 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Racer63 and others.

Did you do the install yourself or send it in? I will probably get the heavier version.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:00 PM
racer63
Racer

You have to send your helmet to HANS. They'll install the do-dads where the tethers attach to.

-DV
Old 12-31-2003, 02:06 PM
racer63
Racer

A little known and completely irrelevant fact. My moniker... Racer63... is actually sort of related to the HANS. The HANS was invented by racer Jim Downing and his brother in law. Jim always raced Mazda rotories in everything from showroom stock to IMSA GTP lights to WSC. So, when I started racing (in Mazdas) back in 96, I chose his number, 63, for my first race car.

Now of course BMWCCA can't handle the same person within the same organization (even if they're located 1000s of miles away) with the same number. So, alas, I had to add a 1 to the end of my car number (I'm now 631). But, it's too much of a pain in the **** to change my internet name at various car websites.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:11 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You can do the install yourself. Here are the directions.

http://www.hansdevice.com/AnchorINSTL.pdf
Old 12-31-2003, 02:14 PM
racer63
Racer

Greg,

I thought they required you to send your helmet to them?

Did they change the policy, or am I just mistaken?
Old 12-31-2003, 02:20 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think they changed their policy. From the looks of the instructions it isn't that big of a deal to do the install. I am going to order one soon and will probably do it myself if time is an issue. I will post my results.

Quick Reply: In Re Safety: HANS Device And Recaro HANS Seat