Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I bought Doug DeMuro's old 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018 | 08:32 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Definitely doesn't make sense to remove and replace your entire 80K mile old suspension just to replace bump stops. You'll likely never hit the bump stops in your Turbo anyway, new or deteriorated, unless you go slamming into an unexpected pothole speed bump at significant speed. You'll want to do an alignment after R&R'ing the suspension as well so figure another $200-$300 in cost.
Yeah...I'll just drive it as is for now because honestly it seems fine as is.

Once I decide spending $1500+ for new coil overs and bumps (not including labor), then maybe I'll do it.

Did you get my text with my build sticker? Did you see my post on other thread about the wheels? They have a "seem" running around the back side of the spoke but the middle of the backside is Convex. Those are the "hollow" ones??
Old 02-20-2018 | 09:03 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Did you get my text with my build sticker? Did you see my post on other thread about the wheels? They have a "seem" running around the back side of the spoke but the middle of the backside is Convex. Those are the "hollow" ones??
Haven't looked at the build sticker, but it is very likely the wheels are not hollow, as the front bumperettes indicate a pretty early build...

Not the best picture, but here's a shot of the inside of a non-hollow, but still OEM original 996 Turbo wheel. If it has those two channels, not the true hollow spoke.

Old 02-20-2018 | 09:04 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Here's a better picture of the diff between hollow and non-hollow Turbo wheels...

Old 02-21-2018 | 12:51 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Here's a better picture of the diff between hollow and non-hollow Turbo wheels...

Looks like I have the NON hollow wheels then. What kind of weight savings is there between them. Worth trying to find a set? Or just do aftermarket when / if ready to spend some money.
Old 02-21-2018 | 12:59 AM
e90steve
Racer

Exhaust looks a little saggy. Might replace the engine mounts. I love my WEVO's. I'm in Atlanta too, maybe see you around in traffic at about 5mph. Don't think I've ever seen those bumperettes before on the front.
Old 02-21-2018 | 01:08 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e90steve
Exhaust looks a little saggy. Might replace the engine mounts. I love my WEVO's. I'm in Atlanta too, maybe see you around in traffic at about 5mph. Don't think I've ever seen those bumperettes before on the front.
I thought the exhaust look fairly straight. Someone else commented it wasn't sagging on one side and thought they were good. Hmm.
Guess I'll have them checked.

I'm up in the Cobb Co. area, but traffic is bad here too. Good thing I don't have to drive my personal vehicles to work. I have a take home car.

The bumperettes were on the early 2001 builds. Many have swapped bumpers to get rid of them. I may, if I decide to keep this car for a while.
Old 02-21-2018 | 01:52 AM
e90steve
Racer

I thought the exhaust look fairly straight. Someone else commented it wasn't sagging on one side and thought they were good. Hmm.
Guess I'll have them checked.

I'm up in the Cobb Co. area, but traffic is bad here too. Good thing I don't have to drive my personal vehicles to work. I have a take home car.

The bumperettes were on the early 2001 builds. Many have swapped bumpers to get rid of them. I may, if I decide to keep this car for a while.
Might have just been the angle of the photo. Semi-Solid engine mounts completely changed the driving experience for me though. Engine mounts, exhaust and 997 SSK make a HUGE difference on the 996 platform.
Old 02-21-2018 | 02:01 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Might have just been the angle of the photo. Semi-Solid engine mounts completely changed the driving experience for me though. Engine mounts, exhaust and 997 SSK make a HUGE difference on the 996 platform.
Links to which mounts you used?
Exhaust - Make a diff. simply for sound or performance also?
SSK ??? 997 Short Shifter?? I've heard they're better for sure.
Old 02-21-2018 | 02:19 AM
e90steve
Racer

Links to which mounts you used?
Exhaust - Make a diff. simply for sound or performance also?
SSK ??? 997 Short Shifter?? I've heard they're better for sure.
Engine Mounts: https://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassi...gineMounts.htm
Exhaust: On a turbo, yes you will see a HP gain. Sound is the bigger game changer for "driving experience"
SSK: Yes 997 short shifter fits on the 996. Only a couple hundred bucks and makes a WORLD of difference.

These 3 items will drastically change the way you feel about your 996 vs 997 comparison.
Old 02-23-2018 | 07:01 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

GA TAVT Paid (Auto tax when you buy your tag / title on a used vehicle) = $810.00

"Light Savers" received and installed (Thank you Steve!!!) Cost = $0

"Side Marker light" that Porsche wanted $92.00 to replace.... Replaced via NAPA auto parts = $3.75

New front spoiler lip ordered off ebay - Porsche wanted something like $643.00 to replace --- Ordered $73.99 shipped

New Black Porsche Floor Mats ordered from SunCoast and should be delivered today = $123.00 shipped.

PPI was misleading...That $1500+ for Struts talk was only for front and rear "Bump Stumps".....They may be old and deteriorated but he car drives perfectly and feels like the struts are in perfect working order.
Delaying this struts & bump stop thing for a while...No point in spending the money if I don't "NEED" to. So ZERO dollars spent here for now.

"Sticky" headlight switch doesn't bother me too bad for now..Long as it works. But If I can get one cheaper and not to hard to replace, I may do this later.

I'll worry about the windshield washer pump and buy a cheap spare tire air pump for the Frunk later... And will NOT be replacing the gas cap simply because the "tether" is gone from the original one..lol Esp. not at Porsche price...lol

Engine Mounts: https://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassi...gineMounts.htm
Exhaust: On a turbo, yes you will see a HP gain. Sound is the bigger game changer for "driving experience"
SSK: Yes 997 short shifter fits on the 996. Only a couple hundred bucks and makes a WORLD of difference.

These 3 items will drastically change the way you feel about your 996 vs 997 comparison.
Thank you Sir!! I like the shifter idea. Maybe the mounts. Not sure on exhaust yet...May if / when I tune it.
Old 02-23-2018 | 07:09 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

New front spoiler lip ordered off ebay - Porsche wanted something like $643.00 to replace --- Ordered $73.99 shipped
I highly recommend not getting any work done at either of the two dealerships here in Atlanta.

"Sticky" headlight switch doesn't bother me too bad for now..Long as it works. But If I can get on cheaper and not to hard to replace, I may do this later.
It's an easy DIY job.
Old 02-23-2018 | 07:14 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
I highly recommend not getting any work done at either of the two dealerships here in Atlanta.

It's an easy DIY job.
Oh, it will NOT being going to dealer unless I have no choice. I know too many people in the industry to do that and that should save me money.

I'll look for a DIY vid on YT and see if I can do it.
Old 02-23-2018 | 08:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'll look for a DIY vid on YT and see if I can do it.
I think this is all you'll need ---> https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-replace.html
Old 02-23-2018 | 11:07 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Congrats on the TT! It looks awesome and should have a little more pep than the Cayman.
Old 02-23-2018 | 11:43 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slakker
Congrats on the TT! It looks awesome and should have a little more pep than the Cayman.
Just a wee bit more..lol

Quick Reply: I bought Doug DeMuro's old 996 Turbo