Sponsored by:

Stock 996TT vs tuned 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 12:40 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
Here is the reason, I did not have to do it, and it was done at the factory. They engineered it they own it, they would have to fix it.
what warranty did you have?! they aint fixing sh*t on an x50 now. i got the last known pcna warranty work done on an 02 in 09 LOL.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:17 AM
anewporschefan
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is a tuned 996t going to be priced higher or lower? Meaning, if I see a stock 996t, and a similar mileage 996t but modded, which should be priced higher?
Old 01-20-2018, 01:23 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by anewporschefan
is a tuned 996t going to be priced higher or lower? Meaning, if I see a stock 996t, and a similar mileage 996t but modded, which should be priced higher?
Pricing is all over the map and largely irrational.

My 996TT has been tuned, by the owner prior to the guy I bought the car from 9 months ago. I did not pay any extra for the tune, nor would I have done so. There are very few mods out there that a buyer should pay anything for; I'd give you a list but off of the top of my head I can't give you a single one. If anything, mods are a detriment to resale.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:53 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't think i paid more for my modded car but if i had the choice between a stock car and the one i purchased with all other things equal i would have taken the mods and did. In order of I want that mods to the car: 1. full Brembo 350 GT brake kit, 2. Forge Intercoolers and rec valves, 3. Kline exhaust, 4.OZ wheels.

These cars are so fun to mod. As an engineer and life time gearhead the whole keep it stock thing is foreign to me.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:32 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
I don't think i paid more for my modded car but if i had the choice between a stock car and the one i purchased with all other things equal i would have taken the mods and did. In order of I want that mods to the car: 1. full Brembo 350 GT brake kit, 2. Forge Intercoolers and rec valves, 3. Kline exhaust, 4.OZ wheels.

These cars are so fun to mod. As an engineer and life time gearhead the whole keep it stock thing is foreign to me.
The problems with modded cars are that you don't know how well they were done, nor what damage they might have done to the car either as a result of the type of person who mods cars (who may also track them and over-rev them and whatever else) or what effect the mods may have had on the car, themselves. I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with modding a car, especially if done right and if done by someone who actually understands them and what they do.

The worst possible scenario is a car that has been modded, quality of such unknown, that has then been "returned to stock" and the fact of the prior mods attempted to be hidden by the seller. We have had a few cars like that show up on this 996TT board as sales postings and generally the advice has been to steer clear of them.

Like anything, it is hard to make a valid blanket statement about anything with these cars that are now approaching 20 years of age and that in many or most cases have had multiple owners.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:36 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by anewporschefan
Mods done right and documented that are what the buyer wants should get a premium.
Overall condition and a history you can verify would be a good way to approach buying one of these. Combine that with a $5-10k reserve fund and have fun!
As far as 15 year old bad *** cars go, these are rea$onable until you go far down the mod rabbit hole.

Let us know when you find one with a $5k brake upgrade, $5k suspension upgrade, $10k trans rebuild, forged wheels, pinned/welded, and some extra power priced similar to one that is stock.
That's the one I'd pick if done right, just parts and your own time can really add up.

All the above said, a stock one with low miles and records will always win in the end, but what fun is that?
Old 01-20-2018, 06:07 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Mods done right and documented that are what the buyer wants should get a premium.
Overall condition and a history you can verify would be a good way to approach buying one of these. Combine that with a $5-10k reserve fund and have fun!
As far as 15 year old bad *** cars go, these are rea$onable until you go far down the mod rabbit hole.

Let us know when you find one with a $5k brake upgrade, $5k suspension upgrade, $10k trans rebuild, forged wheels, pinned/welded, and some extra power priced similar to one that is stock.
That's the one I'd pick if done right, just parts and your own time can really add up.

All the above said, a stock one with low miles and records will always win in the end, but what fun is that?
Absolutely, this is now common in the Porsche used market. Well known cars with the correct mods and upgrades are selling for considerably higher premiums than a totally stock version.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:13 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

This platform has been successfully modified with time honored parts and incremental upgrades for over 15 years. With a little research and a basic knowledge of the car, there shouldn't be any significant surprises when purchasing a modded 996 turbo.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:43 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
The problems with modded cars are that you don't know how well they were done, nor what damage they might have done to the car either as a result of the type of person who mods cars (who may also track them and over-rev them and whatever else) or what effect the mods may have had on the car, themselves. I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with modding a car, especially if done right and if done by someone who actually understands them and what they do.

The worst possible scenario is a car that has been modded, quality of such unknown, that has then been "returned to stock" and the fact of the prior mods attempted to be hidden by the seller. We have had a few cars like that show up on this 996TT board as sales postings and generally the advice has been to steer clear of them.

Like anything, it is hard to make a valid blanket statement about anything with these cars that are now approaching 20 years of age and that in many or most cases have had multiple owners.
Yes, what the man said.

One thing to consider is that despite what some say, these cars were and still are fantastic in stock form. The engine is a beast, the chassis is nimble and well balanced, the ride isn't floaty at all, it's actually firm and planted. Of course the car wasn't designed to be a track rat, and therefore it won't behave like one, but that's true of all 911 Turbos from 1975 to today. If you are happy with the continued purpose of the 911 turbo as a GT car which can be smooth and composed and gobble thousands of highway miles, but also be fun and playful on the twisties, you're gonna love a stock 996tt, and probably like it a lot more than one that's been tuned and lowered and coilovers and a numeric shifter, even if the latter would be a lot faster on a road course.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:35 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

stock is,.. well stock. if youre putting around town on the street as a daily driver it's not really enjoyable imho. I can think of a dozen diff vehicles for that. the platform has so much overhead engineered into base that if you have any form of enjoying the car at real speed and spend anytime in the canyons, you will start to mod as you will find areas that need improvements. last thing I enjoy is sitting and wasting mileage in my turbo in stop and go on the 405.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:29 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn

One thing to consider is that despite what some say, these cars were and still are fantastic in stock form. The engine is a beast, the chassis is nimble and well balanced, the ride isn't floaty at all, it's actually firm and planted. Of course the car wasn't designed to be a track rat, and therefore it won't behave like one, but that's true of all 911 Turbos from 1975 to today. If you are happy with the continued purpose of the 911 turbo as a GT car which can be smooth and composed and gobble thousands of highway miles, but also be fun and playful on the twisties, you're gonna love a stock 996tt, and probably like it a lot more than one that's been tuned and lowered and coilovers and a numeric shifter, even if the latter would be a lot faster on a road course.
What the man said :-)

There are people who are very much into modding, and there are people who are not. The people who are into modding say that XXX car is boring in stock form but when we do YYY and QRS to it, it becomes wonderful. The people who are not into modding consider modding to be akin to molestation. There is nothing unique about these points of view when it comes to Porsche 996 Twin Turbos; you can read exactly the same sentiments on BMW and Subaru (and probably at least 5 other brand) forums.

My general bias is to go with stock, although I have more recently modded a BMW that I have since sold, and my 996 TT was modded by the two former owners, one by flashing a Softronic tune, and the other by removing the spoiler hydraulic ram apparatus and replacing the stock spoiler with a fixed GT2 style aftermarket spoiler. I have not removed either of these modifications and bought the car with full knowledge of their existence (although did not fully understand the implications of the tune until after the purchase). You pays yer money and you takes yer chances, but that much can be said for these cars in general; your ownership of these cars approaching 20 years old will be a crapshoot, and no one can tell you with certainty how the car is going to do, or what it will cost you to own it.

Owning a 996 TT is not for the risk-averse or the poorly capitalized.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:42 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by champignon
Owning a 996 TT is not for the risk-averse or the poorly capitalized.
Pretty much for any Porsche or classic

Quick Reply: Stock 996TT vs tuned 996TT