Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 03:06 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Good luck on the hunt, I started about this same time of year 3 years ago and had one I was happy with by March and only had to go 150mi.
Not sure what all the bagging on Park Place is for, I've had a couple friends buy and sell there with a good experience.
Local dealership and couple of good indy shops near there that specialize in P cars and could do a quality PPI.
Wouldn't buy one of these without a thorough PPI.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:22 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Those guys ain't dummies. If it's priced so aggro there is a reason most likely.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

You have a PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:06 AM
mbaran
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
You have a PM.
Replied, still on the hunt
Old 12-26-2017, 08:53 AM
05daveclarke
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park Place, Seattle x50 PCCB manual

Saw the comments on the board and thought I would respond.

The car is on consignment (it’s mine) and is priced (I hope) very realistically. No stories - I’ve had the car approx. eight years (bought it from Park Place as I have with two other cars) and have had no problems with it at all. It’s a great six-speed car with X50 and PCCB options, in very good condition, just time to move it on (I still have an Ariel Atom to play with on sunny days).
Old 12-26-2017, 09:16 PM
mbaran
Instructor

Originally Posted by 05daveclarke
Saw the comments on the board and thought I would respond.

The car is on consignment (it’s mine) and is priced (I hope) very realistically. No stories - I’ve had the car approx. eight years (bought it from Park Place as I have with two other cars) and have had no problems with it at all. It’s a great six-speed car with X50 and PCCB options, in very good condition, just time to move it on (I still have an Ariel Atom to play with on sunny days).
It looks like it's sold? I don't even see it on their site any more.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:20 PM
05daveclarke
2nd Gear

Priced to sell - and it did.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:15 AM
llenrow
Rennlist Member

i have to say for all
the talk about mt coupe x50
being so desirable the group
ran from this one pretty quick due to the suspicious price. There may be deals good and true out thee even for the x50
I follow park place pretty close being in Seattle. X50 s usually won’t last a week there

Old 12-27-2017, 11:10 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by llenrow
i have to say for all
the talk about mt coupe x50
being so desirable the group
ran from this one pretty quick due to the suspicious price. There may be deals good and true out thee even for the x50
I follow park place pretty close being in Seattle. X50 s usually won’t last a week there
Paralysis by analysis will make you miss the truly good values that pop up from time to time. You have to know the market and be prepared to put down a deposit when you see one come up. My current car was on the market for about 7 hours (ebay) before I sent the seller a $1,000 non-refundable deposit so he would hold it at our negotiated price for 4 days so that I could fly to NYC to see it in person. Jalopnik did a spotlight article on it the day after it listed, and the seller told me after the deal was done that he had a bunch of full price offers after he took my deposit. So, no way I would have even gotten the car without that non-refundable deposit, much less $2,500 off the asking price. And the seller was truly a stand-up guy to honor our deal. I still keep in touch with him and let him know how much I appreciated his integrity.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:57 PM
mbaran
Instructor

Agreed, but you've gotta have pretty good faith in the seller to give a non-refundable. I am ready to spend, but would find it hard to send money because of what they said. But it sounds like you were working with the right person.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:19 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Yeah, definitely understand and I don't disagree.

In my case, I spoke to the seller about an hour after it was listed for probably 45 minutes. It just had a new clutch and 60k mile service (with only 47k on the car). Spoke with the mechanic. Did due dilligence on both the car and the seller (individual seller). It was exactly the car I wanted - actually better, and the price was good even before the discount. The seller checked out legit (the internet is an amazing thing). So, to me, after the initial research, it seemed like a pretty good $1,000 gamble. There were other cars/sellers I had been looking at earlier that I wouldn't have taken the risk on.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:33 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Check out park place Seattle. A 50k ish x50 seal gray/black mt coupe with pccb and hard backs for 48k. This in my mind is a great deal
Originally Posted by llenrow
i have to say for all the talk about mt coupe x50 being so desirable the group ran from this one pretty quick due to the suspicious price.

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Paralysis by analysis will make you miss the truly good values that pop up from time to time....
I agree you have to be ready to POUNCE on a nice Turbo at a good price or it will be gone, and it sounds like this particular one was a good deal, but there have also been two Turbo's recently that looked nice on paper, had a few semi decent pictures, reputable dealerships, great prices, but they were absolute DOGS!

One of which was the 2005 Turbo S for sale just outside of Denver. I looked at it in person and it was beat hard with lots of issues. Total piece of crap IMHO, but you wouldn't know that by looking at the pictures, carfax, or by talking with the dealership over the phone.

In your case KCA, thats exactly how I like to buy my cars... I trust a knowledgable private seller who googles up non-suspicious and who gives you his mechanics phone number far more than an average dealer.

The Park Place car just had a few warning flags for a sight-unseen commitment, though it does sound like it may have just been a very well priced as a consignment car. If it was within driving distance, I definitely would have checked it out when I first spotted it on CarGurus.

So is anyone here going to fess up to grabbing it???

Last edited by pfbz; 12-28-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:56 AM
BCT
7th Gear

--

Last edited by BCT; 05-09-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Quick Reply: WTB: 996 Turbo