Sponsored by:

Airbag light - have codes from durametric

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:34 AM
r6vr6
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Airbag light - have codes from durametric

Sorry for the long post but just want to put what I have done so far.

So my car had the child seat bar installed when I bought it. I recently had an additional key programmed and asked the dealer to uncode the child seat bar so I could remove it. They got the key programmed fine but the airbag light was on. They said it was likely the seatbelt buckle but they had none in stock. I reviewed the seatbelt buckle topic online and found a wiring diagram. Basically the resistance of the buckle circuit is either 100 (buckled) ohms or 400 (not buckled) ohms. I took my seat out and checked the resistance with my $5 meter and it read open circuit (or so I thought). So I ordered a buckle. In the meantime I had a buddy coming up with access to a fluke meter. We confirmed the new buckle read 100 & 400 ohms and then we checked the old buckle and it read good as well (my $5 meter doesn't autoscale and I am a dummy). So I cleaned the contacts in the inline connectors and cleaned the ground stud and eyelets under the seat. I then decided to check the resistance at the airbag module to see if there were any issues with the wiring between. Terminal 8 there read 100 & 400 ohms and continuity was good with no shorts to ground. So I put it all back together with the original buckle and got a Duramtric to read the actual codes and see if they would clear because it appears the buckle is okay from our readings. (maybe cleaning the contacts fixed it **crosses fingers**). My faults are 51, 38, 39:

Name:  cJlhYKS.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  50.5 KB

The faults clear but come back immediately. It appears people in the past may have had similar findings and changing the buckle receptacle has fixed it just wanting to see if any one had experience with this as it appears to measure okay.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:13 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

So far, according to the diagnostic manual, your troubleshooting is really good! The only comment I can make is, I got a PST2 and also a Durametric. There is some faults I cannot clear with the Durametric but was able to clear it with the PST2. Coding can also be at fault...

This is from the diagnostic manual...:

♦ If the fault memory is cleared, the ignition must be switched off,
the ignition key removed and the ignition switched on again
order to check the fault path. Only in this way is another self-test
carried out.
♦ When the coding is changed in the menu item "Change coding",
the ignition must be turned off afterwards and the key
removed.
♦ After the ignition is switched on again, the new coding of the
airbag triggering unit is updated and stored faults can be
erased.

Step 2:
♦ Switch off ignition
♦ Disconnect plug connection X17
♦ Passenger's belt buckle not connected
♦ Measure resistance in plug to
passenger's seat between pin 7
and pin 8: It should be 400

Step 3:
Connect passenger's seat
buckle
♦ Measure resistance in plug to
passenger's seat between pine B
7 and pin B 8: it should be 100

Step 4:
♦ Switch on ignition
♦ Check the voltage in the passenger plug
seat between pin B7
and ground: it should be 0

Step 5: Check belt buckle
for short circuit to ground♦ Check the resistance in plug to
passenger's seat between pin
B7 and ground
♦ Passenger's belt buckle not connected

After they mention to replace the seat buckle and you did and the next step is to replace the triggering unit for airbag... Personally I would like to plug a PST2 or PIWIS to see if the unit is coded properly and if I can clear the fault before spending money on a unit which was not at fault before they uncode the child seat .....
Old 11-30-2017, 03:08 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You guys are too technically adept than I, but I can tell you that you can often eliminate the seat belt receptacle issue by simply cleaning the contacts with electrical cleaner.

However if that doesn’t work then a new buckle will. The airbag light is another matter and may have to be reset by a PWISS as there are may be legal ramifications and I’m not certain a dura pro is sufficient to turn it off. It’s been like 7 years since I dealt with this and I have difficulty recalling what I ate for lunch sometimes . GL and well done on the DIY!
Old 11-30-2017, 03:11 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

pwis or durametric pro needed to remove the light.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:57 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

good to know. i seem to remember hearing or being told that a dealer had to turn off the light. but then the first time my buckle was acting up we cleaned it and must've used the durametric since that was the FIRST receptacle issue. 2nd time it was on my '03, i went with a new one and was done at a dealer ( iirc? )
Old 11-30-2017, 08:04 PM
r6vr6
Racer

The contacts have been cleaned with deoxit and the ground stud was scotchbrited. I guess at this point I have nothing to loose with plugging new seatbelt in because I already have it. I'll report back. I have worked on numerous electrical issue where everything checks out and generally it generally is terminal tension issue or some other issue where the circuit path is partially compromised( cut/ smashed wires, insulator between contacts, partially back out terminals. )
Old 12-01-2017, 03:54 PM
r6vr6
Racer

ok so I checked everything again. At the airbag module the old buckle reads 150ohms and the new one reads 103 ohms. I don't think this is the issue because the code sets when unbuckled ( both read right around 400 ohms then) I plugged the new buckle in at the seat and tried to clear codes but no bueno they are still there. I am beginning to think maybe it is a coding issue as mentioned above. The closest dealer is 2 hr away though so that will be a project for next spring. I have the schematics for 2001 does anyone have the 2002+ schematics? (please PM me if you do) I was going to maybe look into the 38 code because maybe that is the real problem and not the belt. (if it is not tho coding)

Quick Reply: Airbag light - have codes from durametric