Sponsored by:

HELP Advice on a possible 996 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 12:20 AM
misfitt
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Advice on a possible 996 purchase

Hello gents. I am currently thinking of purchasing a 996T with a pretty nice list of upgrades. Would like you guys opinion on the quality of the build as well as price I have read some good reviews about evolution
i believe I've seen them commenting on a thread here. I was looking for some real world expierence with these mods if possible. This will not be a dd for me, more like a weekend, moonlight fun car. I do occasionally take road trips to TN and run through some nice mountain roads. Question will any of these mods cause overheating or other mechanical failures on say a 400 mile round trip? sorry to sound like a newb. This will be my first P car. Thanks again for any responses guys and cheers.

This is a rare opportunity to own a reliable Porsche with super car power!! No expense spared in this build with all quality parts which include a fully built motor and Evolution motorsports GT700 Kit!! This combination allows for a 700hp AWD beast!! Everything can be confirmed by vin# with Evolution motorsports. Bigger turbos, upgraded intercoolers, upgraded fuel system, evoms tune, spec clutch, Roth short shifter, KW full suspension, fabspeed exhaust, 6pot front and 4pot rear brembo brakes, 2 piece rotors, 3 piece champion wheels wrapped in Michelin tires, and carbon fiber wing!

HP Output Pump Fuel: 702 HP
TQ Output Pump Fuel: 693 TQ
GT700 Signature Turbo Kit:
Hitachi V-Flow Air Intake System
EVOMSit Software specific to EVOMS GT700 Signature Turbo Kit
Diverter Valve Pair (90 deg)
Alpha GT28 V3 Turbochargers (TiAL Sport-require water cooling)
Boost Hose Kit for Factory Intercoolers
Diverter Valve Silicone F Hose
Turbocharger Water Cooling Kit
Clubsport Headers (650-775hp)
GT Spec Platinum Spark Plug
Stage 3 Clutch Kit
Turbocharger Air Inlet Ducts
Fueling Kit for GT700+ Signature Turbo Kits

This car retains all original paint and has a clean carfax, no accidents, and Clean title
Old 09-13-2017, 12:35 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Generally, my advice would be to avoid significantly altered and modified cars. On the other hand, you need to buy the car AND the owner.

These cars can be extremely expensive to own as they age. This is true of unmodified and also modified examples.

If you happen to have found a meticulous owner who also "personalized" the car, e.g. modded it, to meet his own desires, then perhaps the car would be worth buying.

If you really want this car, then I would study the history of the car carefully, look at what maintenance and repair work has been done, and then really size up the owner/seller. Is he (or she) so **** that you couldn't stand to spend 3 days with him or her on a retreat in the mountains? If the answer to that question is "yes," then research the car even more. If the person is not **** and just had some list of things to do to the car, then I would take a pass on it.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:42 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitt
will any of these mods cause overheating or other mechanical failures on say a 400 mile round trip? sorry to sound like a newb. This will be my first P car. Thanks again for any responses guys and cheers.

This is a rare opportunity to own a reliable Porsche with super car power!! No expense spared in this build with all quality parts which include a fully built motor and Evolution motorsports GT700 Kit!! This combination allows for a 700hp AWD beast!! Everything can be confirmed by vin# with Evolution motorsports. Bigger turbos, upgraded intercoolers, upgraded fuel system, evoms tune, spec clutch, Roth short shifter, KW full suspension, fabspeed exhaust, 6pot front and 4pot rear brembo brakes, 2 piece rotors, 3 piece champion wheels wrapped in Michelin tires, and carbon fiber wing!

HP Output Pump Fuel: 702 HP
TQ Output Pump Fuel: 693 TQ
GT700 Signature Turbo Kit:
Hitachi V-Flow Air Intake System
EVOMSit Software specific to EVOMS GT700 Signature Turbo Kit
Diverter Valve Pair (90 deg)
Alpha GT28 V3 Turbochargers (TiAL Sport-require water cooling)
Boost Hose Kit for Factory Intercoolers
Diverter Valve Silicone F Hose
Turbocharger Water Cooling Kit
Clubsport Headers (650-775hp)
GT Spec Platinum Spark Plug
Stage 3 Clutch Kit
Turbocharger Air Inlet Ducts
Fueling Kit for GT700+ Signature Turbo Kits
terrific looking car. if it checks out, grab it.

nothing about those bolt ons that would make the car any less reliable for short 400 mile drives or even dd'g for that matter.. the ad portion hyperbole of the post does mention a "fully built motor", when they probably mean more like "adequately bolted on parts". but it looks like a great car. GL if you take it.

hard to argue against evoms work and history with this platform. i sure like my dv's

bottom line: you'd have a roughly 500/525 whp car. take out the awd and lsd the rear, and you'll have a real day to day monster.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:30 AM
misfitt
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by champignon
Generally, my advice would be to avoid significantly altered and modified cars. On the other hand, you need to buy the car AND the owner.

These cars can be extremely expensive to own as they age. This is true of unmodified and also modified examples.

If you happen to have found a meticulous owner who also "personalized" the car, e.g. modded it, to meet his own desires, then perhaps the car would be worth buying.

If you really want this car, then I would study the history of the car carefully, look at what maintenance and repair work has been done, and then really size up the owner/seller. Is he (or she) so **** that you couldn't stand to spend 3 days with him or her on a retreat in the mountains? If the answer to that question is "yes," then research the car even more. If the person is not **** and just had some list of things to do to the car, then I would take a pass on it.
Thanks for that a good way judging how the car has been maintained can be directly related to how meticulous one can be. TRUE
Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 AM
misfitt
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
terrific looking car. if it checks out, grab it.

nothing about those bolt ons that would make the car any less reliable for short 400 mile drives or even dd'g for that matter.. the ad portion hyperbole of the post does mention a "fully built motor", when they probably mean more like "adequately bolted on parts". but it looks like a great car. GL if you take it.

hard to argue against evoms work and history with this platform. i sure like my dv's

bottom line: you'd have a roughly 500/525 whp car. take out the awd and lsd the rear, and you'll have a real day to day monster.

Yea don't know about the engine build its seems to be a 4.0l stroker kit with CMW motorsports pistons and a GT3 crankshaft. Thanks again guys 0299 thanks for your feedback on the 6speed thread as well. If all checks oout and we can agree on a price i will be taking a drive then pulling the trigger. wish me luck also if you know of anyone with a similar set of mods or x50 with some mods let me know i'm not married to this one. Cheers
Old 09-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the wing work? How much for the Supras?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:52 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Shoot me an email and any photos of the engine bay and underside of the car to sstone@evoms.com. If you can find some original paperwork or owners names, I can look through the records.

Most of the GT700 cars were built back in the 2005-2008 era. It was a period where the cars were still current generation and just off warranty, and worth quite a lot of money so the market would support $30-50k no-expense-spared builds with all best-of-the-best components. Looking at the wheels, exhaust tips, and the turbo kit there's a good chance this car was one of those builds done in that time. There is also a decent chance it does have a built motor with rods/pistons/head studs if they're saying it does, though it can be hard to verify and comes down to small details about case hardware.

Like any used car the current condition and reliability comes down to how it was used and maintained by previous owners. Fundamentally the GT700 kit is well built and reliable even over a 10yr lifespan. The kit should be reliable for every day use, road trips, track days, etc. if it's up on maintenance. The standard GT700 kit used stock intercoolers which I HIGHLY recommend upgrading for more consistent performance especially if you plan on using the car hard in hot weather. Many of them had intercoolers added as an option. Aside from that it shouldn't overheat or throw any faults in normal operation.

The common maintenance things relating to the kit at this age are boost/air leaks, fuel filter and fuel pump, and spark plugs/ignition coils. Also check the air filter for debris or damage. The car should be running a Hitachi MAF sensor, which you can determine by seeing if there is a short adapter harness between the MAF and the stock wiring harness MAF connector. If it doesn't have that, it should be updated. Even if it does have that, if the ECU hasn't been updated in the last 5 years there are tuning upgrades available that significantly improve response and midrange power. A GT700 on pump gas should do around 600whp and 600-650wtq depending on hardware and fuel quality. Older tunes will do 575-600wtq.

Let us know how we can help, always here to take care of our children even if they're old enough to be in middle school .

Sam
Old 09-13-2017, 05:34 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitt
Yea don't know about the engine build its seems to be a 4.0l stroker kit with CMW motorsports pistons and a GT3 crankshaft. Thanks again guys 0299 thanks for your feedback on the 6speed thread as well. If all checks oout and we can agree on a price i will be taking a drive then pulling the trigger. wish me luck also if you know of anyone with a similar set of mods or x50 with some mods let me know i'm not married to this one. Cheers
holy sh8t! then it could already be a track monster!

the thing for me would be. who "built"? ( evoms? ) and with what parts, etc.. once the cases are split etc, then all kinds of questions would ( for me at least ) need to be answered. as you know "bolt ons" are just that, and EVO knows their stuff as well as anyone! but anything internally modded, i'd really be more concerned about the provenance/build etc.

its a great looking car! and sounds even more intriguing ( possibly..) with a 4.0! wow. GL bro.

Add: just read evoms contribution, so a gt700 "kit" will supply 600WHP? i woulda guessed closer to 550+..either way, thats impressive..and re price? if its an 01? no matter what was done, i'd think anything over hi 40's is too high. again tho.. GL!

Last edited by "02996ttx50; 09-13-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:12 PM
DarenB68
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a bit of a stock guy myself, but that color combo is awesome. I don't think you stated the mileage, but I'd be curious to know if the mods were done to a car that was worn out/high mileage or if it was a money no object build. Also regarding the reliability, better to see that the mods were done 15k miles ago and theres been no issues than for them to have been done last week, and you're the test mule.

Cheers
Old 09-13-2017, 07:39 PM
misfitt
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
Does the wing work? How much for the Supras?
lol I think the wing is stationary doesn't move.
guy says he'll sell a Supra let me know if you're really interested. :cheers
Old 09-14-2017, 09:18 AM
misfitt
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by EVOMS
Shoot me an email and any photos of the engine bay and underside of the car to sstone@evoms.com. If you can find some original paperwork or owners names, I can look through the records.

Most of the GT700 cars were built back in the 2005-2008 era. It was a period where the cars were still current generation and just off warranty, and worth quite a lot of money so the market would support $30-50k no-expense-spared builds with all best-of-the-best components. Looking at the wheels, exhaust tips, and the turbo kit there's a good chance this car was one of those builds done in that time. There is also a decent chance it does have a built motor with rods/pistons/head studs if they're saying it does, though it can be hard to verify and comes down to small details about case hardware.

Like any used car the current condition and reliability comes down to how it was used and maintained by previous owners. Fundamentally the GT700 kit is well built and reliable even over a 10yr lifespan. The kit should be reliable for every day use, road trips, track days, etc. if it's up on maintenance. The standard GT700 kit used stock intercoolers which I HIGHLY recommend upgrading for more consistent performance especially if you plan on using the car hard in hot weather. Many of them had intercoolers added as an option. Aside from that it shouldn't overheat or throw any faults in normal operation.

The common maintenance things relating to the kit at this age are boost/air leaks, fuel filter and fuel pump, and spark plugs/ignition coils. Also check the air filter for debris or damage. The car should be running a Hitachi MAF sensor, which you can determine by seeing if there is a short adapter harness between the MAF and the stock wiring harness MAF connector. If it doesn't have that, it should be updated. Even if it does have that, if the ECU hasn't been updated in the last 5 years there are tuning upgrades available that significantly improve response and midrange power. A GT700 on pump gas should do around 600whp and 600-650wtq depending on hardware and fuel quality. Older tunes will do 575-600wtq.

Let us know how we can help, always here to take care of our children even if they're old enough to be in middle school .

Sam
Sam I have no idea how I missed your post yesterday thank you immensely. I will definitely be be getting you guys to do a refresh if the deal goes through thank again Email is sent.

Mike
Old 07-13-2020, 07:07 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 834 Posts

This must be the car Tavarish has now.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:00 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,632 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Seems like it.