Sponsored by:

Newbie-Advice needed asap on 2004 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 12:01 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
Prices trend down in the winter months by a few k. How long have you been looking? Took me a little over a year and believe me every car I saw was the "one". Take your time and get exactly what you want.
Only been looking for a couple weeks. Not even looked at a TT in person yet. Only looked at and drove the 2003 C4S with 23k miles... Wonderful car, but over priced given it needs the IMS/RMS preventative fixes. I made and off and he came down a good bit but not enough. So I decided to start looking at Turbos.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:25 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Only been looking for a couple weeks. Not even looked at a TT in person yet. Only looked at and drove the 2003 C4S with 23k miles... Wonderful car, but over priced given it needs the IMS/RMS preventative fixes. I made and off and he came down a good bit but not enough. So I decided to start looking at Turbos.
Oh, just wait until you drive one. If you notice my Rennlist join date, it's back in 2009, that's when I first started 'thinking' about a 996 Turbo. My vision (dream) was always a lightly modded silver or gray 996 Turbo with a nice hotrod exhaust and and custom tune....now that I have that (and a little more) it's a totally different car than it was stock.

My point being take some time to drive a few cars, learn as much as a you can, make some 996 Turbo friends in ATL, and enjoy the hunt.

The really nice thing about the 996 Turbo not being super rare is that there's always a steady stream of cars on the market. The 996 C4S is a nice looking car, but it's never going to make a bunch of power...I would have gotten bored had I gone that path.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:36 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Road King
Oh, just wait until you drive one. If you notice my Rennlist join date, it's back in 2009, that's when I first started 'thinking' about a 996 Turbo. My vision (dream) was always a lightly modded silver or gray 996 Turbo with a nice hotrod exhaust and and custom tune....now that I have that (and a little more) it's a totally different car than it was stock.

My point being take some time to drive a few cars, learn as much as a you can, make some 996 Turbo friends in ATL, and enjoy the hunt.

The really nice thing about the 996 Turbo not being super rare is that there's always a steady stream of cars on the market. The 996 C4S is a nice looking car, but it's never going to make a bunch of power...I would have gotten bored had I gone that path.

You sound like me. Silver or Gray Turbo. Slightly modded. And knows that If I went with the C4S, I'd get bored.

Besides, my last "Toy" made 1053 WHP and ran 10.70 @130 MPH (7100 lb. Diesel Truck)!! So yes, I'm very USED to having power on tap. Even more so than a 996TT.

Here's a vid of me at the Street Car Takeover a few years ago.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:10 AM
DarenB68
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Congrats

David, congrats on even thinking about getting a 996TT. I have had mine about 4 or 5 weeks now, and am completely enthralled with the built quality and performance. A couple of things to note from my perspective: grey interior is a no go, not necessarily because I don't like grey, but I think these cars look way better with contrasting paint/interior. Also this interior design doesn't look anywhere near as premium in grey. Secondly, I get you liking silver, who doesn't, but they are very common.
Regarding price and mileage, there are examples of these cars going over 500k miles, so the difference between a 35k mile car and a 55k car shouldn't deter you when there's $15k to be saved.
On the performance/custom side, I'd go stock all day long unless you can get a car with all the OEM pieces.
Anyway, heres a few turbos listed in the PNW for a price comparo. Good luck with your search.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...249823504.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...231865848.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...223567632.html

Heres my speed yellow for an idea of something different colorwise

Old 08-09-2017, 08:36 AM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Agree with others on being overpriced. Don't rush, there's always another/better one out there..
Regarding the PPI I would suggest not going to a Porsche dealer, find a good indie. The P dealer is most likely biased and will miss things, their knowledge is on the newest lineup. A good indie will want your business long term.
For 2nd gear issue I believe 2004's don't have this problem.
For rear wing leaks either a e-ram kit or rebuilds are options.
Have dealer provide a DME report showing engine hours and overrevs.
Last suggestion is to search on this forum for Macsters listing on what to look for when buying a turbo.
good luck.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

So a dealer bought this car at auction and now is asking 60 Grand and they would do the ppi on their own car they're selling?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

That truck is badass - my diesel tow rig moves pretty well but that thing is a monster - I can see the heads lifting from here
Old 08-09-2017, 12:39 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

I've found a 2004 996 Turbo, 34K miles, Looks absolutely perfect in pics. Has a GIAC tune, Exhaust, and different wheels (nice looking). I'm going to look at it tomorrow and look for advice on what to look at and for, PRIOR to paying the $185 for the local Porsche dealer to do a PPI.
Asking price (and they same it's firm) is almost $62K. Car is Silver, has grey interior, 6 Spd. manual, Nav., B&M shift, TUBI Exhaust, GIAC tune....Like said, the claim is that the car is almost perfect inside / out.
WHAT OTHER THINGS DO THESE CARS HAVE AS KNOWN PROBLEMS?? Please share any knowledge here if you can please. I need to learn on a FAST curve here.
Some thoughts on your questions...

First, yes, that car seems overpriced. Also, finding unblemished OEM hollow turbo wheels will likely cost you another ~$1K, and I personally don't love the wheels on that car.

Prices are definitely UP right now. Some of it seasonal, some of it general market driven. Likely to dip a bit in a month or so.

Low miles, high miles, they are still 13-17 year old cars. At 34K miles, i'd like to see a car that fairly *recently* went through the major 30K inspection and service. If you do minor repairs yourself, they can be quite reasonable to maintain. If you want to take it to the dealer and say 'fix it', you could spend $5K/yr+ easily on repairs. For example, spark plug change will cost you close to $1K at a dealer, or $50 and several hours of your time. Yes, it's a bit of a job... Coils will add $500+ to a spark plug change at the dealer, or $200 for the same coils done yourself.

The list of things that often fail or need replacement include spoiler hydraulics, clutch slave and accumulator, coolant pipes (more frequently on tracked cars), second gear pop-out, boost leaks, cracking coils, cracking coolant expansion tank, window regulators, door microswitches, ignition switches, motor mounts, short spark plug life (especially on tuned cars), etc. Fortunately the issues with these cars are well known and have known fixes, and the engine itself is extremely robust. Doesn't mean the fixes are cheap though... Some are inexpensive if you DIY, some are pricey and beyond the scope of most home mechanics.

Interior wear seems to vary hugely. I bought mine with 58K miles and the interior was pretty much flawless. I've seen others with half those miles where the interior looked like crap.

Front end resprays are pretty common, not an issue for me if it's a quality job.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:25 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I would say even mid-50's is too high for that color combo and questionable mods. And I'm usually one of the ones helping to justify the higher prices.

Prices are going up, but you're not going to miss out in the next week or two.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jferrante
That truck is badass - my diesel tow rig moves pretty well but that thing is a monster - I can see the heads lifting from here
It was a beast. I've had 3 different high hp trucks. Vids on my YT Channel. Interceptor1255

Originally Posted by pfbz
Some thoughts on your questions...

First, yes, that car seems overpriced. Also, finding unblemished OEM hollow turbo wheels will likely cost you another ~$1K, and I personally don't love the wheels on that car.

Prices are definitely UP right now. Some of it seasonal, some of it general market driven. Likely to dip a bit in a month or so.

Low miles, high miles, they are still 13-17 year old cars. At 34K miles, i'd like to see a car that fairly *recently* went through the major 30K inspection and service. If you do minor repairs yourself, they can be quite reasonable to maintain. If you want to take it to the dealer and say 'fix it', you could spend $5K/yr+ easily on repairs. For example, spark plug change will cost you close to $1K at a dealer, or $50 and several hours of your time. Yes, it's a bit of a job... Coils will add $500+ to a spark plug change at the dealer, or $200 for the same coils done yourself.

The list of things that often fail or need replacement include spoiler hydraulics, clutch slave and accumulator, coolant pipes (more frequently on tracked cars), second gear pop-out, boost leaks, cracking coils, cracking coolant expansion tank, window regulators, door microswitches, ignition switches, motor mounts, short spark plug life (especially on tuned cars), etc. Fortunately the issues with these cars are well known and have known fixes, and the engine itself is extremely robust. Doesn't mean the fixes are cheap though... Some are inexpensive if you DIY, some are pricey and beyond the scope of most home mechanics.

Interior wear seems to vary hugely. I bought mine with 58K miles and the interior was pretty much flawless. I've seen others with half those miles where the interior looked like crap.

Front end resprays are pretty common, not an issue for me if it's a quality job.
Yes, I'm starting to see that even though it's in great condition, it is over priced. Yes, I would like to have the original wheels and I agree that those wheels aren't my favorite.

Guess I better learn to wrench myself on some of that stuff. $5k / yr. is a bit rich for me with what I do for a living. Thanks for the heads up.

I appreciate you taking the time to type all of that. Thank you. I'll keep looking for sure.

Originally Posted by manimal
I would say even mid-50's is too high for that color combo and questionable mods. And I'm usually one of the ones helping to justify the higher prices.

Prices are going up, but you're not going to miss out in the next week or two.
"Questionable mods"? Meaning not good ones? or what?

Funny how that color combos isn't the favorite, but I tend to like it. I like black interior too though, and if it's better for resale / wear, I guess I better look for one in that combo.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:24 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

This car is local to me (within an hour).

He's probably a member here. Anyone recognize this car?? He's tracked it a few times I'm sure since it's parked in front of Road Atlanta. He said he did on text. But seems in good shape w/ mods and original wheels.

He's gonna be in the mid 50's for an 2001.... Still too high??

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911

"2001 Porsche 996 Twin Turbo 36K miles this car is it great shape with all services kept up to date, garage stored, paint and interior are excellent. Many new parts installed to keep it current and fast. I have driven this car on 2k mile trips with no issues these are awesome machines. Everything works except the automatic rear spoiler. If you know these cars this was an issue with most of them. It is raised to a fixed position. This is a dream car we are selling her for personal reasons.

Kline exhaust system -headers, muffler , tips and both cats or by pass pipes (cats are installed)
Porsche Short shift kit
Pagid orange brake pads in July of 15
Transmission service July of 2015
New color match front floor mats Porsche
New spring kit and lowered car ? inch and alignment 2015
Replaced both front wheel bearings June of 2016
Diverter Valves Agency power July of 15
Wastegate actuators Agency power July of 15
Fiske FM10 wheels 18 x8.5 front and 18x11 rear
Stainless steel lugs
Michelin Pilot sport tires 2015 7k miles on them mostly Hwy miles long trips
Note: it also has the original turbo wheels with tires wheels are in good shape tires are old

58,000.00 or best offer
, A/C ice cold, All scheduled maintenance, Always garaged, Custom wheels, Excellent condition, Looks & drives great, Mostly highway miles, Must see, New tires, Non-smoker, Title in hand, Very clean interior, Well maintained"
Old 08-09-2017, 02:33 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

You'll need to think a bit about wether you want a modified car or mostly stock... This one has plenty of mods. Professionally done? By who? Pro tune? Seller have all the stock parts? Seller likely spent a bunch of money on all those mods, but it doesn't mean you get it all back on resale.

Spoiler fix alone is pretty expensive. Aftermarket is $1,500 and up for parts, plus installation labor. OEM fix is ridiculously expensive. Sometimes they can be nursed back to health less expensively, but plan on replacing eventually if you want a working rear spoiler.

Personally, I think a mostly stock, very clean, well maintained 40-60K mile turbo for mid to high $40's is the sweet spot in the current market.

but in short, yes, that one is too expensive as well, IMHO.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Another car fairly close by in Florida. Have a look. This is priced better but higher miles for sure.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
You'll need to think a bit about wether you want a modified car or mostly stock... This one has plenty of mods. Professionally done? By who? Pro tune? Seller have all the stock parts? Spoiler fix alone is pretty expensive.

Personally, I think a mostly stock, very clean, well maintained 40-60K mile turbo for mid to high $40's is the sweet spot.
Just saw this after I posted the link above...Have a look ^^^

Florida car fits this description well...Thoughts??
Old 08-09-2017, 02:44 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Another car fairly close by in Florida. Have a look. This is priced better but higher miles for sure.

Yup, thats the kind of car I would look for... Might be a tad high for the miles, but condition is everything. At 68K miles, the interior could look superb, or like crap. Sellers idea of 'immaculate' might not be the same as mine or yours...

I like that one the best out of the three you posted by far, but finding an interesting car from an ad is just the first step.

Quick Reply: Newbie-Advice needed asap on 2004 996TT