Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 996 GT3 Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 09:14 AM
//steve\\
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

What should one actually expect to pay these days for a well maintained and clean 996 GT3 that doesn't immediately need a bunch of work? I know there is a lot that goes into this but are we in the $75k ranger or $100k range? A 40-50k mile drivers car is completely acceptable to me. I don't need a museum piece.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:08 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
What should one actually expect to pay these days for a well maintained and clean 996 GT3 that doesn't immediately need a bunch of work? I know there is a lot that goes into this but are we in the $75k ranger or $100k range? A 40-50k mile drivers car is completely acceptable to me. I don't need a museum piece.
Hard question. This is what I wrote in the 7gt3/rs forum when someone asked about 6gt3 prices:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post16614022
Because 6gt3 are what GT3 was originally meant to be from the start. Analog, raw, visceral, and loud back-roads and track weapon. The Porsche OEM outlaw — not a daily driver. In terms of such purity of GT3 purpose 996 > 997 > 991.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post16617474
It's a small market -- small supply (few hundred cars remaining) which has, over the years, reached owners that knew what they want when looking and know what they have when holding. Demand is maybe only little larger than supply as the 6gt3 is far from what a typical sports car buyer wants. So it's a small market on a special car quite unlike any other, with not too many market transaction prints to establish a tight range. Any small supply/demand shift will have an effect on price.

If I sold mine, I can’t see what could do its intended job better regardless of price.
The following users liked this post:
Louis de Funes (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 11:45 AM
//steve\\
Advanced

Originally Posted by hf1
Hard question. This is what I wrote in the 7gt3/rs forum when someone asked about 6gt3 prices:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post16614022
Because 6gt3 are what GT3 was originally meant to be from the start. Analog, raw, visceral, and loud back-roads and track weapon. The Porsche OEM outlaw — not a daily driver. In terms of such purity of GT3 purpose 996 > 997 > 991.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post16617474
It's a small market -- small supply (few hundred cars remaining) which has, over the years, reached owners that knew what they want when looking and know what they have when holding. Demand is maybe only little larger than supply as the 6gt3 is far from what a typical sports car buyer wants. So it's a small market on a special car quite unlike any other, with not too many market transaction prints to establish a tight range. Any small supply/demand shift will have an effect on price.

If I sold mine, I can’t see what could do its intended job better regardless of price.

Very good points. The 997.1 GT3 is my dream car mostly because I think it looks a bit better and the interior is a touch more modern and finished looking. I have to imagine the driving experience is better on the 996 GT3. If the 997 is barely any more expensive I think I happily pass right over the 996 but if there is a good $20k price difference between comparable condition cars that becomes harder for me to justify. That yellow one posted above makes a tough argument though. That's probably one of the best angles for the 996.

I'm in an E92 M3 right now and spent the last 10+ years driving around S2000s. That's my benchmark for a good fun weekend car. The only things that you just grow tired of are the very small cabin and it's never quiet. Even with the OE hardtop on the car it's still a noisy car to be inside. I have to imagine the Porshce does this better and I can for sure say the M3 does it 100x better. I've got some 2-way MCS shocks waiting to go on the M3 now and I'm anxious to see how that transforms it from the slightly less hardcore Bilsteins on it now.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:21 PM
20C4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 85 Posts

For those who have owned or at least have extended experience with the 996 GT3 should know how different it is comparing to other generations of 911. Bottomline is, raw car and pure focused 911 is getting harder to come by. The trend is not going backward. I think the 996 especially the GT3 has aged very well that purists that can appreciate what the package offers. Let's not forget the 911 owners love to try all generations of 911 and have multiple of them if financially can support the hobby. Having said that, I don't necessarily think the 997 GT3 price is relevant to the 996 GT3 price since the audience is overlapped.

When I'm shopping for 911 I look at what 911 I can buy that makes the most sense for the mood at the time. I don't mind overpaying clean car as long as with the mindset that I'm buying a keeper, not the best deal. Pay up to buy the right car. It's worth it every penny and most likely you will get that back when you're ready to move on.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:27 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 97 Posts

One thing that makes me prefer the 996 vs the 997.1 GT3?

The lack of sunroof. How can you have a sunroof on a GT3!?
Old 05-12-2020, 12:33 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 97 Posts

I have to say this car looks really good in white

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=544682682
Old 05-12-2020, 12:59 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Very good points. The 997.1 GT3 is my dream car mostly because I think it looks a bit better and the interior is a touch more modern and finished looking. I have to imagine the driving experience is better on the 996 GT3. If the 997 is barely any more expensive I think I happily pass right over the 996 but if there is a good $20k price difference between comparable condition cars that becomes harder for me to justify. That yellow one posted above makes a tough argument though. That's probably one of the best angles for the 996.

I'm in an E92 M3 right now and spent the last 10+ years driving around S2000s. That's my benchmark for a good fun weekend car. The only things that you just grow tired of are the very small cabin and it's never quiet. Even with the OE hardtop on the car it's still a noisy car to be inside. I have to imagine the Porshce does this better and I can for sure say the M3 does it 100x better. I've got some 2-way MCS shocks waiting to go on the M3 now and I'm anxious to see how that transforms it from the slightly less hardcore Bilsteins on it now.
IMO, Speed Yellow (the launch color) is the best color for the 6gt3. 5+ years ago I too would have preferred the 7gt3 aesthetics over the 6gt3 but with time the smaller, narrow body 6gt3 is really growing on me. Even the headlights have become its signature quirk that separates it from the more modern GT3 cars. I've had and have a 987 whose interior is the same as the 997 -- I wouldn't grade the 996 interior lower especially if full leather like mine. It actually matches the pure, spartan, no fuss nature of the 6gt3 very well.

Fair warning... If you think that the s2000 is too loud you better test drive a 6gt3 before you buy one. I have a Porsche convertible (Boxster) and the 6gt3 is much noisier and much more aggressive. Going from a BMW and a Honda straight to a 6gt3 may be quite a shock. It's one of the most hardcore OEM cars out there. Many people think they want one after reading about it, then realize that it's just too much. Nothing wrong with preferring something that's less focused.

The following users liked this post:
Zraphael (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 01:30 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by HDA
I have to say this car looks really good in white
they look fantastic in white. total cup car vibe. absolute purpose.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:34 PM
20C4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
IMO, Speed Yellow (the launch color) is the best color for the 6gt3. 5+ years ago I too would have preferred the 7gt3 aesthetics over the 6gt3 but with time the smaller, narrow body 6gt3 is really growing on me. Even the headlights have become its signature quirk that separates it from the more modern GT3 cars. I've had and have a 987 whose interior is the same as the 997 -- I wouldn't grade the 996 interior lower especially if full leather like mine. It actually matches the pure, spartan, no fuss nature of the 6gt3 very well.
hf1,

Still have one of the launch poster from Porsche in SY. never gets old. 6gt3 still turns heads, granted u don't see many on the road ever.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:53 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 391 Posts

I feel the same. I prefer the aesthetics of the 997, but over time, as even the 997 is now starting to look dated in its own right, that "aesthetics" delta is shrinking, and that will continue to happen I think in the eyes of the consuming public. I also agree with the above poster that the interior is not "worse" than the 997 per se, just simpler, especially if you have a full leather car (which does make a difference in "feel" and "fit and finish.") So, yeah, if the cars were similar in price, it would be a no brainer, but I'm telling you the 996 is more charismatic, and dare I say more fun to drive. 997 chassis is more planted though. So with that, and giving the shrinking "aesthetics gap," for me at least the 997 was not worth the delta (and I've owned both). the 997 has more torque, but not gobs more, and at full song, high rpm pulls, you would be hard pressed to tell a difference in power if you are being honest! Do some mods and weight reduction in the 996 and it will be quicker. good luck!
Old 05-12-2020, 03:18 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I’m just now bumping up to a 997 RS, and am coming from a 6-3 in white (awesome color for this car) and had an extremely difficult decision to make. The 996 is aging beautifully. It’s smaller, more raw, visceral, loud, really loud depending on your choice of exhaust, but still loud due to zero sound deadening. It’s light feeling, the chassis is alive, more flex than the 997 platform. The 996 bobs and weaves, hunting for the sweet spot on the road. You’ll never feel more alive and in more the moment than you will in the 996.

My decision was finally made when I drove them both back to back last week and realized that at 60, I’m ready for a more refined finish and style, an RS, a Pumpkin, a car with hips, and just something different. After 5 years of ownership I can say I absolutely loved my wild child, and never had a bad day in it. I’ll miss it and will likely own another down the road.

The white car in question in this thread above looks to be a clean car, but that price seems out of line. I’d say you can find a well developed higher miles 6-3 in the high 50’s to mid sixties, then cleaner lower miles non developed cars in the high sixties to mid 70’s, and the occasional outlier with extremely low miles and bone stock in the high 70’s and very low 80’s. I’d always opt for a performance developed 6-3 and save the $’s, but that’s just me.

Good luck with your search. Absolutely unique and incredible cars to be sure. Go for it👍
Old 05-12-2020, 03:43 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by christallon
I’m just now bumping up to a 997 RS, and am coming from a 6-3 in white (awesome color for this car) and had an extremely difficult decision to make. The 996 is aging beautifully. It’s smaller, more raw, visceral, loud, really loud depending on your choice of exhaust, but still loud due to zero sound deadening. It’s light feeling, the chassis is alive, more flex than the 997 platform. The 996 bobs and weaves, hunting for the sweet spot on the road. You’ll never feel more alive and in more the moment than you will in the 996.

My decision was finally made when I drove them both back to back last week and realized that at 60, I’m ready for a more refined finish and style, an RS, a Pumpkin, a car with hips, and just something different. After 5 years of ownership I can say I absolutely loved my wild child, and never had a bad day in it. I’ll miss it and will likely own another down the road.
Congrats on the pumpkin!

I’d say you can find a well developed higher miles 6-3 in the high 50’s to mid sixties, then cleaner lower miles non developed cars in the high sixties to mid 70’s, and the occasional outlier with extremely low miles and bone stock in the high 70’s and very low 80’s. I’d always opt for a performance developed 6-3 and save the $’s, but that’s just me.
The times when a no-salvage, no-accident 6gt3 could be had with a 5 handle are long gone, regardless of miles. Clean low mile 6gt3s are now so rare that no price is really out of line. It just may take time for the right buyer to show up. There likely won't be another one like it for sale at the same time to use for comparison.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:51 PM
//steve\\
Advanced

Originally Posted by hf1

Fair warning... If you think that the s2000 is too loud you better test drive a 6gt3 before you buy one. I have a Porsche convertible (Boxster) and the 6gt3 is much noisier and much more aggressive. Going from a BMW and a Honda straight to a 6gt3 may be quite a shock. It's one of the most hardcore OEM cars out there. Many people think they want one after reading about it, then realize that it's just too much. Nothing wrong with preferring something that's less focused.

Beautiful car. My top two color choices would be Speed Yellow or Guards Red.

I should add that in terms of noise my S2000 was on much wider wheels, stickier tires, gutted soft top, Ohlins, single exhaust, Recaro bucket. It's far from the more comfy OE S2000. I get what you're saying though. I'm about 99.9% sure though that I'd love every bit of the 996 GT3 without ever having to step foot in one.

To me it's the alcantara touches of the 997 interior that I really like and you just don't see that in the 996. I'm not a giant lover of leather. Realistically if I got a 996 GT3 the OE seats would come out anyways in favor of Recaro buckets. I do very much like the smaller size of it too.

We'll see. The GT3 is a dream car for me right now and the price gap from what I have in the current car to one is 2x. Never know what the future holds.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:24 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by HDA
One thing that makes me prefer the 996 vs the 997.1 GT3?

The lack of sunroof. How can you have a sunroof on a GT3!?
Not just talking to HDA

6-3 vs 7-3 aesthetics?
your choice.
both have their charms

The following 2 users liked this post by cgfen:
2000m2 (05-12-2020), 9872SpeedYellowCS (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 07:29 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

^ Great comparo pics. 6gt3 looks smaller, narrower, leaner, and lower slung in the hips. I'm probably biased but I don't see 7gt3 as the clear winner in the looks dept any more.

Quick Reply: The 996 GT3 Cars For Sale Thread...