Old 05-05-2020 | 05:54 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HDA
Flags

Hand written DME report
4 owners
Original Power Seats apparently gone
"GT2-style" front bumper (original gone where?) 3 guesses.
Moton coilovers
RS flywheel and clutch
Rear roll cage
Track Mats
Fire Extinguisher
Re-painted calipers (GOK why)

All the makings of a track rat.

Last edited by sithot; 05-05-2020 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2020 | 09:01 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Old 05-05-2020 | 11:25 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sithot
Flags

Hand written DME report
4 owners
Original Power Seats apparently gone
"GT2-style" front bumper (original gone where?) 3 guesses.
Moton coilovers
RS flywheel and clutch
Rear roll cage
Track Mats
Fire Extinguisher
Re-painted calipers (GOK why)

All the makings of a track rat.
While I agree that original parts are a bonus and that the front GT2 bumper may raise eyebrows, I don' see a problem with the roll cage, RS Flywheel, Motons or fire extinguisher.

Even the # of owners, 4 doesn't seem much in 15 years. I agree I don't like when there is ownership of less than a year...but life happens.
The following users liked this post:
UpOnTheWheel (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020 | 12:41 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HDA
While I agree that original parts are a bonus and that the front GT2 bumper may raise eyebrows, I don' see a problem with the roll cage, RS Flywheel, Motons or fire extinguisher.

Even the # of owners, 4 doesn't seem much in 15 years. I agree I don't like when there is ownership of less than a year...but life happens.
Just evidence that points toward track rat status. NO real DME is playing Russian Roulette. This was an auction and you have no protection. All auction houses use standard (CYA) language in their contracts. They are held harmless of owners claims. It's your job to do the leg work. “AS IS” – NO WARRANTY

THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. USE OF THE SERVICE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM COMPANY OR THROUGH THE SERVICE WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED HEREIN. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, COMPANY, ITS SUBSIDIARIES, ITS AFFILIATES, AND ITS LICENSORS DO NOT WARRANT THAT THE CONTENT IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR CORRECT; THAT THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME OR LOCATION, UNINTERRUPTED OR SECURE; THAT ANY DEFECTS OR ERRORS WILL BE CORRECTED; OR THAT THE SERVICE IS FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. ANY CONTENT DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SERVICE IS DOWNLOADED AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR MOBILE DEVICE OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM SUCH DOWNLOAD OR YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE.

Old 05-05-2020 | 12:55 PM
Tim the Engineer
Rennlist Member

If you buy a '6GT3, you should assume it has been tracked. That is what they do best.

Given the replaced bumper, you can also assume it has been dinged.

Remember, these cars are 15 years old.

I bought one in 2016. Supposedly reliable seller, with a decent PPI. Spent a ton of effort putting it right; not cheap. The person I sold it to last year got a great deal. But even he had to put money into it.

But what a thrill on the track!

Old 05-05-2020 | 12:57 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

The first 3 owners of my car each had it for less that 1 year. I think they bought a 6GT3 thinking it was cool, and then realized it wasn't the around town car they thought it would be, or they traded it in for a 7GT3 to have the newest thing. The fact that 16 years later my car runs like a top (a very smooth and responsive top, I might add) suggests that # of previous owners is not a useful criteria for estimating abuse or excessive wear. I tend to ignore short ownership as an indication of anything.
I agree with many of the other "flags, though. Replaced front bumper likely indicated damage, although Porsche's tend to get lots of small stone chips on their bumpers. I tended to repaint mine before the 996 GT3, until the advent of PPF. The stock LSD, shocks and springs on the 6GT3 suck, and Motons are a great upgrade, as is the replacement of the slow, heavy stock dual mass flywheel with the RS version. Other stuff means the car was driven on the track by a conscientious driver. I guess if someone wants a stock 6GT3 for a collection, then these things should matter. If someone wants to drive the car and enjoy it, I see these things as improvements. If someone ever wants to take the car to the track, then they are almost essential, and expenses that are already taken care of.
I agree that I would have wanted a new printed DME report. Type II over-revs could be a concern, especially many of them, and/or recent ones.
The following 3 users liked this post by KOAN:
FFaust (05-05-2020), Rambler_13 (05-06-2020), UpOnTheWheel (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020 | 02:50 PM
Tim the Engineer
Rennlist Member

Absolutely.

The '6GT3 sold very well in 2004. Once most owner's received them, they found them way too stiff for our roads. That is why they sold so poorly in 2005. By 2007, they softened up the suspension and addded back sound sound insulation to render the car more driveable.

So there was a lot of ownership turnover in the early years.

I too would have liked to see an overrev report if it is an auction. Otherwise a compression/leakdown test and cam deviation measurement give a good idea of the engine condition.
UpOnTheWheel (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020 | 03:38 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim the Engineer
The '6GT3 sold very well in 2004. Once most owner's received them, they found them way too stiff for our roads. That is why they sold so poorly in 2005. By 2007, they softened up the suspension and addded back sound sound insulation to render the car more driveable.

So there was a lot of ownership turnover in the early years.
A lot of people read about how cool the 6gt3 are and get one, only to discover that they are too raw for tootling around town. In time, most of the few hundred remaining decent 6gt3's have found their way in the hands of the minority of drivers that value such a raw driving experience and are unwilling to let them go. They are the modern badass 911. The OEM outlaw. There's nothing out there that could replace them for under $150k, or at any price. That's why they will be increasingly harder to find.
Old 05-05-2020 | 05:04 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

mmmh I don't think the 996 GT3 is THAT rare, there are many for sale at any given time.
I think there has been a "resurgence" for the 996 specie in general but from here to say that 6gt3 are $150k cars well...I doubt it!
Old 05-05-2020 | 05:11 PM
Tim the Engineer
Rennlist Member

No, they are not $150 K. cars. $150 gets you a nice 991 GT3.

Showroom condition garage queens are a bit over $100. Why buy a car you don't drive??

Well maintained, regularly-used ones with lowish mileage are $70-$80 K.

Last edited by Tim the Engineer; 05-05-2020 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-05-2020 | 05:15 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tim the Engineer
No, they are not $150 K. cars. $150 gets you a nice 991 GT3.

Showroom condition garage queens are a bit over $100. Why buy a car you don't drive??

Well maintained, regularly-used ones with lowish mileage are $70-$80 K.
Tim why did you sell yours? Moving to a racing only platform?
Old 05-05-2020 | 05:21 PM
Tim the Engineer
Rennlist Member

Exactly. I was driving it about 500 kilometers per year. Mine had stiffened suspension, LWFW, cat-delete side muffler delete, exhaust . Not a great streetcar.

I really believe these cars are meant to be driven.

Old 05-05-2020 | 06:08 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HDA
mmmh I don't think the 996 GT3 is THAT rare, there are many for sale at any given time.
I think there has been a "resurgence" for the 996 specie in general but from here to say that 6gt3 are $150k cars well...I doubt it!
No one said they were $150k cars -- well not yet For the small minority of people that appreciate the raw analog feel of the 6gt3 and that use it as intended (back-road squirts and occasional track day), if they sold it there's not much out there that can come close to replacing it for under $150k. Even the newer RSs feel comfy in comparison. Maybe a custom built aircooled outlaw/hotrod but those don't come cheap either.

I don't see that many for sale and I've heard from a few people that they've been looking and that good ones are hard to find. There were 1000 total imported in the USA. Half of them were probably transformed into Cup cars for J class racing and dedicated track cars for DE, many of them extinguished into a wall as they are not easy cars to tame. Out of the other half there are probably around 200 clean, under 30k mile, examples -- most held by owners who know exactly what the car is and love it for it.

Just returned from a 45min backroad squirt in mine. All my senses shaken and stirred. Whenever I get an idea to maybe replace it with something else, all it takes is one drive to remind me how stupid I was to think it.
sithot (05-06-2020)
Old 05-05-2020 | 09:25 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Not sure what qualifies as "rare" if 1000 cars produced for the NA market doesn't put you in that category.

Seems like pretty rarified air where I am sitting, but I will let you know once I drive past another in my city.

Quick Reply: The 996 GT3 Cars For Sale Thread...