Sponsored by:

Here's a new one to watch out for: Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Here's a new one to watch out for: Oil Leak

Soooo...my car went from what was a very mild rear main seal leak to what appeared to be a rather large rear main seal leak.

Problem was when the tranny came out it was pretty obvious that more than the rear main seal was leaking and the motor needed to come out to diagnose where on top of the motor my leak was coming from. Searched around the usual suspects up there being the oil cooler, oil tank, but after playing CSI with spray patterns we concluded that an oil feed hose on the back side of the motor was actually leaking. Made quite a mess out of the top drivers side of the motor and was acutally spraying up onto the firewall and basically all over the place.

Picture of the offending line below. You'll see the rubber insert to give the line flex which is where the problem was happening. The weird part was we used smoke to try to insure that was the leak and couldn't generate a 100% positive feeling. Only thing to do was replace and put it back together as we ruled out pretty much everything else.

Much to my surprise...when the replacement line showed up (at the cost of $500...they're proud of this line) the design has been changed to a metal mesh reinforced flex section instead of the rubber. I'm guessing that Porsche realized at some point this was an issue and changed the design.

So she's all back together now...put about 40 gentle miles on her yesterday and everything seems dry at this point. Track day this weekend will be the true test.

So anyhow...now you know.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:26 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Thanks for the write up. This is a first, as far as I know. Good info. Enjoy the weekend.

My car and I are headed out to Chuckwalla Raceway in a few hours for a track day tomorrow. I'm pumped!
Old 05-19-2016, 01:12 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$500 for an oil line. WTF! Whereas other manufacturers would offer recall or subsidy on replacement for a flawed component, Porsche reams you when they learn a part could fail and we'll need a replacement. Gotta hand it to Porsche!

Good info though, thanks for the post.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:57 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Andy. something else to worry about now .
Old 05-19-2016, 10:13 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

holy ****...$500 for that line?
Old 05-21-2016, 09:03 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Bone dry after a great day at the track Friday.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:01 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

How is the weather? I'm sorry not to run with you. I'm out of town at a meeting.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:28 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
How is the weather? I'm sorry not to run with you. I'm out of town at a meeting.
Yesterday was really nice. Today was wet the whole day. Hopefully tomorrow is nice again.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:38 AM
LIS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to have that line replaced two years ago. Same symptoms, big mess on top of the engine that was hard to identify. Dropped the trans first, then dropped the engine when they couldn't figure out what was leaking. While they had it apart, they found a crack in the heat exchanger "bracket" (the cast manifold under the oil cooler) and wound up replacing that too.

Parts for the repair were in the $1k range....
Old 05-22-2016, 02:51 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Soooo...my car went from what was a very mild rear main seal leak to what appeared to be a rather large rear main seal leak.

Problem was when the tranny came out it was pretty obvious that more than the rear main seal was leaking and the motor needed to come out to diagnose where on top of the motor my leak was coming from. Searched around the usual suspects up there being the oil cooler, oil tank, but after playing CSI with spray patterns we concluded that an oil feed hose on the back side of the motor was actually leaking. Made quite a mess out of the top drivers side of the motor and was acutally spraying up onto the firewall and basically all over the place.

Picture of the offending line below. You'll see the rubber insert to give the line flex which is where the problem was happening. The weird part was we used smoke to try to insure that was the leak and couldn't generate a 100% positive feeling. Only thing to do was replace and put it back together as we ruled out pretty much everything else.

Much to my surprise...when the replacement line showed up (at the cost of $500...they're proud of this line) the design has been changed to a metal mesh reinforced flex section instead of the rubber. I'm guessing that Porsche realized at some point this was an issue and changed the design.

So she's all back together now...put about 40 gentle miles on her yesterday and everything seems dry at this point. Track day this weekend will be the true test.

So anyhow...now you know.
I think that I'd take that rig to my local hydraulic hose shop and fix it for a lot less than $500
Old 05-22-2016, 03:30 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboCup87
I think that I'd take that rig to my local hydraulic hose shop and fix it for a lot less than $500
Yes, for about $20,-
Old 05-23-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Yes, for about $20,-
Live and learn...not alot of time to waste with this one, as it was I got it back the night before my track day and still had to do my full inspection and swap rear rotors.

I would have been much more than $500 upset if I missed my track day :-)
Old 05-23-2016, 02:04 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Bone dry after a great day at the track Friday.
Friday was a great day and so was Sunday. Pity about Saturday, but sometimes you gotta pay a toll.

Great running with again yesterday Andy. Your car is one of the fastest I see driven all year. Look forward to the next time.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:44 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
Friday was a great day and so was Sunday. Pity about Saturday, but sometimes you gotta pay a toll.

Great running with again yesterday Andy. Your car is one of the fastest I see driven all year. Look forward to the next time.
Did you have the gt3? Would love to see some video of the two of you dueling.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:54 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
Did you have the gt3? Would love to see some video of the two of you dueling.
I did. Was great to get it back out. This is its third event on the new motor which I think is stronger than my old motor. That was my second time at Mid-O and I really enjoyed the track this time.

I have some video, but only front camera

Quick Reply: Here's a new one to watch out for: Oil Leak