Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP PLEASE - ABS brake failure in 6GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:17 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Update - the fault code was 4206 speed sensor, front left (signal implausible).

So issue is to understand how and why we are loosing wheel speed signals?

Rear wheels locked - I have 40m of skid marks as proof.

The max speed I hit is around 160kph on track - I have no idea how much speed I scrubbed - but not enough to not skip over a very long sand trap.

It is amazing how much impact a tire wall takes - if you look at the skid marks beside the car, you can see the car moved quite a bit to be one side of them (i.e. it bounced into that spot). Damage appears to be bumper, pinched guards and radiators x 2 - surprised lights are not damaged and the airbag did not activate.
Attached Images   

Last edited by kiwi 911; 05-17-2016 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:14 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 52 Posts

That's pretty scary, glad all is ok and car appears relatively fixable.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:48 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Wow that pic puts it into perspective. Car looks relatively unhurt which is great. Must have wiped off a fair bit of speed before the impact as tyre barriers aren't kind to cars.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:41 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Brakes are 100% reliable and stop like a freight train. Get ready to eat some pads and rotors!
Old 05-17-2016, 12:27 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I found this post on 6 Speed OnLine

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...06-4201-a.html

see post #3 for some possible causes.

(I have not independently verified this for accuracy)

Originally Posted by WROSS996TT
PSM Fault code 4206 -- Speed sensor, front left
Incorrect signal from speed sensor

Possible cause of fault
- Toothed ring/speed sensor soiled or damaged, wheel-bearing play too great
- Pick-up due to faulty shield
- Speed sensor faulty
- Control unit faulty
Old 05-17-2016, 02:13 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had an ABS sensor failure as well once. You travel a long distance. Looks like you had partial ABS from skip mark in sand. FYI I do not use the ABS as such. I do not lean on the electronics. When it failed it was not activated to my knowledge but effected everything.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:15 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

When this happened did you release and reapply the brakes? I could not tell from the video? Did the pedal remain hard, or go soft?

Thanks,
I have had brake fade from brakes getting too hot on other cars, but never had something like this happen.

Jeff
Old 05-17-2016, 03:27 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I have recently installed aftermarket suspension into my 6GT3.
Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Update - the fault code was 4206 speed sensor, front left (signal implausible).

So issue is to understand how and why we are loosing wheel speed signals?
Originally Posted by Honkity Hank

So when you installed the suspension, did you disconnect wheel sensor's cable? If yes, did you reconnect it properly? Were the cable, connector and sensor in good shape, they may get brittle because of heat? Is there any play in the bearing?
If all above are 100% in good condition, I'd change both wheel speed sensors. (Maybe I'd first clean the toothed ring.)
Old 05-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Nope- Pedal went dead feeling- brakes did not respond. I kept my foot in it. No pulsation. Did you see how far I travelled!! Tire was destroyed. I think it was a rear left sensor. I would have thought a front.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:29 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
I had an ABS sensor failure as well once. You travel a long distance. Looks like you had partial ABS from skip mark in sand. FYI I do not use the ABS as such. I do not lean on the electronics. When it failed it was not activated to my knowledge but effected everything.
When you say you do not use the ABS as such, what are you meaning? As in you try not to brake in a way that engages ABS? In my experience on track with the 996 GT3 that is nigh on impossible to do.

I wonder if there is a way to disable the ABS system on these cars? As I mentioned earlier, ABS is a big issue with the lotus cars and a lot of guys used to simply unplug the wheel speed sensors and run the cars like this without issue.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:16 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
So when you installed the suspension, did you disconnect wheel sensor's cable? If yes, did you reconnect it properly? Were the cable, connector and sensor in good shape, they may get brittle because of heat? Is there any play in the bearing?
If all above are 100% in good condition, I'd change both wheel speed sensors. (Maybe I'd first clean the toothed ring.)
These are for my mechanic to answer.........

I am thinking to just replace the wiring and sensors, for circa $1K USD, I think money well spent......(for a little life insurance).....
Old 05-23-2016, 12:18 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Honkity Hank

Thank you for posting this.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:27 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

don't throw parts at the car. If it's an ABS sensor they are inexpensive.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:32 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

I bought the 996 Essential Companion and just read through the ABS section. According to the book the Mk2 996-GT3's have a four channel system. As noted there are wheel sensors, solenoids, etc that make up the system. The theory of operation is that when a wheel approaches lockup the system will prevent further brake pressure to that wheel (or wheels) it does this with a clever system that re-routes fluid around the caliper, and back to the master cylinder. If the wheel begins to rotate again, the system will allow some additional brake pressure, often resulting in a pulsing feeling through the brake pedal.

So as I understand it, once the system is activated it does not matter how hard you stand on the brake, no additional pressure is seen by the caliper. It stands to reason that if the system activates in a situation where you should have adequate traction, releasing the brake pressure to allow the wheel to return to speed, and then reapplying the brakes, may relieve the effect of hard on the brakes with little braking force to the road, and reset the ABS so that normal braking function is restored.

Not having experienced this myself, this is only conjecture, or at best an educated guess based on my understanding of the system operation. Basically, just like adding more steering input into the car when it is understeering has no effect on the trajectory of the car, changing something that you are doing, may well return control.

That is not to say that a faulty wheel sensor or other component may cause the same thing.

Anyway, thought I would share what I learned. I do recommend the book which you can find on Amazon easy enough. Lots of tech and information on the various models.

Jeff

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE - ABS brake failure in 6GT3