Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Empty

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:37 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Empty

Well, when I did caliper maintenance on the seals and put on new brake lines. As a bi-product all the brake fluid to let out. I have flushed the fluid many times, but never with no fluid in the reservoir and calipers.

I have a pressure bleeder and will do my normal process. My question is once I open up a nipple I am guessing the fluid will flow quickly, and the goal will be to put in fluid vs. bleeding out and to get the air out of the lines. I was planning on putting 2 Liters on fluid in the bleeder instead of my normal one.

Of course, I will be looking for any leaks and keep my fingers crossed that I did not mess up anything during the caliper maintenance.

Any suggestions or things to watch out for? I will monitor the fluid level of the bleeder and reservoir.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:27 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

I just went through my normal routine of bleeding the brakes and having the car on jack stands really helped. I decided to only put 1 liter of Castrol SRF into the bleeder and pressured it up to 10 psi. I went around the car looking for leaks in brake lines and calipers. I went around the car and surely enough there was a leak in the left front - WTF! I was a little concerned because that was the caliper I need to Tap the hydraulic port (crossed threaded during line removal).. After closer examination the leak was not coming from the caliper and from where the caliper brake line meets the new brake line I had just installed. I straightened & tightened the line and pressured it again and inspected for leaks. This time no visible leaks so I proceeded getting the air out of the lines.

I did not take out too much fluid (since it was empty before I started) and did not have any issues. The one thing I noticed was the reservoir was not at the max line so I used some of the fluid still in the bleeder with my turkey baster and put it in the reservoir. When I started the car the brake fluid warning light was off and I pumped the brakes about 10 times and the petal was back to hard, YEA!

Of course, I probably not know if I have any issues with the calipers, e.g. pistons, seals until they are stressed at the track.

Next up is an oil change.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:15 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes ok that's what I'm going to do. Was going to replace the seals but didn't think about crap in he caliper passages. A little compressed air to get that stuff out, or brake cleaner?

Also confused about what to use where between:
- Just brake fluid
- Brake cleaner
- Brake assembly lube
Old 05-26-2016, 07:23 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
Yes ok that's what I'm going to do. Was going to replace the seals but didn't think about crap in he caliper passages. A little compressed air to get that stuff out, or brake cleaner?

Also confused about what to use where between:
- Just brake fluid
- Brake cleaner
- Brake assembly lube
To get the Pistons out is a royal pain in the ***. Yes, you need compressed air. I used my air compressor. Most like all Pistons will not pop out. You will have to block off the open holes with something a rubber c-clamp. So, if you have all but one piston out you will have to block 5 holes.

I did use brake assembly fluid for the seals.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Empty