Sponsored by:

Finalized my order

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 08:17 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finalized my order

Went to the dealer yesterday and finalized the options for my March allocation (although I'm hoping it'll get moved up):

X1 Arctic Silver Metallic Exterior
39 Black Leather w/Black Belts
454 Cruise Control (I'll be driving, not trailering, to track events)
573 A/C with Full Climate Control (I'm a wuss, I live in FL)
P74 Xenon Headlamp Package (I drive at night and don't have Pete Stout's eyesight)
X70 Metal Door Sill Model Insignia
CPZ Thicker Steering Wheel
CUV Storage Cmpt Lid w/GT3 Logo

My nieces decided I also needed:

XSW Seat Belts - Maritime Blue
CUW Door Finishers Ext. Color (They liked the silver door handles on my Boxster)
CUY Seat Belt Outlets Ext. Color
Z098 All C/T Options w/Dev. Stitch (Match the steering wheel stitching to seatbelts)

For the people that say Silver is a boring choice, I say . I'm going for matching the appearance to my '70 911T (one reason for the metal door sills). I'm even trying to get a gold plated GT3 logo but being plastic it's kinda hard to plate. As an alternative I may have a 911T logo mounted to counteract all those "poser" 996 owners that think the GT3 logo is part of the AeroKit.

I gave up on the PCCB option as the maintenence issues/costs were just too much of a hassle to deal with regularly. I had considered getting iron rings custom made for the PCCB hats but the more cost effective route is to get the monster sized Brembo floating rotor system. Besides having a weight similiar to PCCB the Brembo system is larger.

Here's the stuff sitting around my house waiting for the car to arrive to be installed (I had originally expected to get a GT3 by now but had to change dealers):

Cloth GT3 Clubsport seat & sub-belt mounting bar
Tequipment Roll Bar
GT3 Console Delete
Ashtray Delete (aka Non-smoker kit)
Clear Side Markers
Bumper & Door Plugs from bumperplugs.com

Last edited by Steve in FL; 10-15-2003 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:23 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may be able to have the GT3 plastic logo powder coated gold, fyi. Congrats Steve!!!
Old 10-14-2003, 08:52 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by rockitman
You may be able to have the GT3 plastic logo powder coated gold,
Is it really plastic? If so, it cannot be powdercoated. That process only works on metals, aluminum and certain alloys.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:19 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Default Re: Finalized my order

Originally posted by Steve in FL
I'm even trying to get a gold plated GT3 logo but being plastic it's kinda hard to plate. As an alternative I may have a 911T logo mounted to counteract all those "poser" 996 owners that think the GT3 logo is part of the AeroKit.

Steve, I'm wondering if Eric the bumper plug guy could figure something out for you on this. I almost got maritime belts, but I could not get a sample. Still have not seen them. Sounds interesting though. Congrats on your order.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:30 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Viken
Is it really plastic? If so, it cannot be powdercoated. That process only works on metals, aluminum and certain alloys.
Ohhh yeah, I don't think it's plastic either. Aluminum alloy is my guess...
Old 10-14-2003, 09:48 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Steve - Gold is OUT - leave it alone.. My exact color scheme but I have all leather wheel, Carbon/alum shifter & brake, alum guages. I know this will upset a few people, but buy the base radio and upgrade it. You will need to as the stereo in my Yukon blows it away. Just a thought since you will be doing a lot of driving.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:35 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

steve,

you gotta get wilbur to do the pink mink headliner for you now that you're into gold, get a matching FILA jacket and some 22 inch spinners an u be rappinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2003, 11:00 PM
Gt3Nut
Intermediate

anyone have a picture of:

X70 Metal Door Sill Model Insignia
CUV Storage Cmpt Lid w/GT3 Logo

plus i thought a/c was standard?
Old 10-14-2003, 11:21 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Eric was the first person I contacted about a gold GT3 logo and he's the one that reminded me they're plastic. And if you don't think they're plastic, just ask a Boxster owner that's ripped their logo off when washing the car. That stylized B just jumps out and grabs your wash mitt leading to many a home install of the "Model Designation Delete" option.

The gold isn't for bling bling. It's that making my GT3 match the appearance of my '70 911T, when possible, appeals to my sense of humor. Of course if I put the 911T logo on the GT3 I'll have a bunch of folks assuming it means "Turbo" rather than "Touring".
Old 10-14-2003, 11:27 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Gt3Nut: A/C is a no charge option but you have to order it. And as of the latest GT3 order guide you have to specifiy the option to not get it if you don't want it. I assume one option or the other has to be selected for the PCNA system to accept the order. There were a few cases of people assuming nothing needed to be done to get A/C on the first round of allocations and getting unpleasant surprises so this is probably intended to prevent future occurances.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:09 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

I forgot to list the pile of parts I've accumulated that are waiting to be installed once my GT3 arrives so I edited my original post. You can see I've had waaay too long to think about this car.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:11 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds good Steve... let the wait begin!
Old 10-15-2003, 10:36 AM
SEAN MCMANUS
Instructor

Steve,
can you better explain this delete option?
GT3 Console Delete
are you simply going to remove it or is there a replacement more minimalist console to replace the stocker set up?

Thanks Sean
Old 10-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SEAN MCMANUS
Steve,
GT3 Console Delete
are you simply going to remove it or is there a replacement more minimalist console to replace the stocker set up?
It's a minimalist replacement. Instead of the standard console which has the storage cubby and CD storage trays, at least here in the US, the GT3 Console Delete is a much smaller carpeted piece. It has the advantage of providing much more legroom for people that felt the standard console was too intrusive. Here's a picture:

Old 10-15-2003, 10:52 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by SEAN MCMANUS
Steve,
GT3 Console Delete

Thanks Sean
Nice photo Steve...

Here is a photo of the GT3 console delete from my 996, no photos from the GT3 yet. The console delete kit removes the foreward center console and replaces it with a carpeted trim piece and plastic piece in front of the shifter. I like it because my legs are long and the standard console configuration jabs me in the side of my shin and makes heel and toe downshifting awkward. I also prefer the classic look without the center console.

Quick Reply: Finalized my order