Sponsored by:

More street GT3 nonsense..

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 08:18 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More street GT3 nonsense..

Everyone I speak to is talking about the Turbo Cab.. Many have no idea what the GT3 is or what its even about - and thats not only the general public. That applies to many 911 owners out there. I was screwing around with a guy on the Ocean Pkwy (NY) in a modified '89 930. Surprisingly quick car with his mods I might add.. When we pulled over to chat, he asked me how much boost I ran and what my HP was. I love that question.. I told him 380 HP N/A and he couldnt believe it - probably because we ran from about 10-15 MPH up to 150-170 several times with the same result of me pulling away from him fairly convincingly.

Maybe GT3 sales arent so good because people know nothing about the car? This has been the most satisfying 911 I have ever driven and I havent even had it on the track yet!! I cannot wait...
Old 10-06-2003, 09:03 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ADOGNY:
Considering mine has only 230 miles so far, I am going to wait until next Spring when it's broken in properly...I think Watkin's Glen has their first DE of the season in May. While I am a bit **** about cosmetics on the car and worry about the finish and headlight's, I think generous use of racer's tape should take car of the exposure area's and allow myself to enjoy this car on the track and realize it's full potential in terms of handling and speed...
Old 10-06-2003, 09:07 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Don't mean to rag on you but...170 on the Ocean Pky. Remember when a Grand National cut the limo in half killing the wedding party in the late 80's on that stretch? Not too smart. Our PCA region has plenty of track days. Why not go to the track? You are asking for trouble at those speeds on the street.

Best,

Don

P.S. The life you save could be mine. I drive that strech quite a bit myself.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:26 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

That was Lido Blvd, a semi residential street and YES I remember. This stretch of Ocean Pkwy is 3 lanes with no turn around points from just past the tower to Tobay which is a few miles. Plus it was early Sunday morning and no one was on the road with us. I choose my spots carefully - I am not looking to die either.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:27 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

I am concerned about the finish on the front of the car as well. What is the best option?? Is racer's tape easy to get on/off or do you have to spend 3 hrs with adhesive remover afterwards?
Old 10-06-2003, 09:39 PM
Renoir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why don't you have a clear bra installed? I have armourfend on my 996 Cab and I'm very happy with it.

Best regards.

P.S. I have no affiliation with armourfend.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:41 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by ADOGNY
I am concerned about the finish on the front of the car as well. What is the best option?? Is racer's tape easy to get on/off or do you have to spend 3 hrs with adhesive remover afterwards?
Yes and it's cheap. It does not leave any residue...If it did, nothing 3M adhesive remover could not take car of. Here's a link for some tape. Good luck on the track and be careful!!! Both you and the care.

http://www.pitstopusa.com/RACERSTAPE.asp

http://racerstape.com/rtp.html

Old 10-06-2003, 10:16 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Adgony, keep up the 150-170 mph stuff and you'll get you car's photos in every newspaper. By the way, did you catch the story about the guy in Florida who crashed at high speed killing another driver? He went to jail after the computer data from the air bag chip proved he was going twice as fast as he said. Everyone likes to have fun, but 170 is a speed with no get-out-of-jail card. Good luck, AS
Old 10-06-2003, 10:36 PM
9caregiver
Racer

I agree AS. I have driven the stretch of Ocean Parkway being talked about for 20 years and that is why I have commented here. It is great for a quick blast to 100 or so but 170???? I have to ask, do you even have any track experience? Get with it, stick to the track or carefully pick another spot before you kill someone.

Best,

Don
Old 10-06-2003, 11:14 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Don -

Where in Long Island are you? You are still confusing this road with Lido Blvd... There is a couple mile stretch with no turn around points or in/outlets for other traffic. Early Sunday mornings there is no one on the road.. While 170 MPH is excessive, it is a clear 3 lane stretch of road, basically in a straight line. While is it obviously no race track, it is the closest thing to an open road around here.

Who is taking pictures by the way?? People have been running down there for years and do it every Sunday morning. In fact many of the Vettes, big blocks, etc drag race there Sunday mornings and the Troopers dont even bother them. There is kind of the thinking that these guys are gonna do it somewhere, they would rather them do it on a large open road where no other cars can turn into the roadway.

Not trying to justify anything to you guys and I do not have to prove anything... But you are both clearly unfamiliar with the road area or Don is just too old that he hasnt been there in 20 years. It is still a public road and I see your concerns so thank you for your comments.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:16 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

High speeds like that on a public roadway= STUPIDITY
Old 10-06-2003, 11:28 PM
LanceK
Pro

Even worse are peope who don't have a clue about the rules of the road or other people's safety.

I'm not a party pooper and hate to preach but.....

ANY public road is not the place for that *&#@.....go to the track.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:30 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

OK - I'll goto the track.. Thanks guys..
Old 10-06-2003, 11:33 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Thanks for the insults. By the way I am 36. I am very famillar with the road and the exact spot you are talking about. In fact, I do not have a traffic light on the 8 minute ride there. I also know about the A------S who race there. I am sure the picture taking is someone posting them on the web for a Corvette or Trans Am site. The point you may be missing is 170 is excessive on any street. Especially one I frequently travel on Sunday Mornings.

And if you beleive the Troopers don't care........

Best,

Don
Old 10-06-2003, 11:38 PM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

ADOGNY said:
"I choose my spots carefully - I am not looking to die either."

I could care less whether you want to die. It is the innocent bystander you take with you that has all of my sympathy. I hope you get caught and they take away your car. There is only one place on Long Island for that kind of speed--Brigehampton. No ifs ands or buts...

Quick Reply: More street GT3 nonsense..