Sponsored by:

More street GT3 nonsense..

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 01:16 AM
JakeMate
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rockitman
I wonder if you get put on the "****" mailing list if you order that stuff???

LOL
I actually got mine at a place in PA called Phil's Automotive. They were kinda pricey at $30 per quart. Slow too. And they only accept a mailed check. I looked for the same stuff on the Internet and this is what I came up with. I haven't actually ordered from them yet but it looks like the same stuff. It's just latex. BTW...I used clear.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:23 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Where is the best place to get this liquid latex??
Old 10-08-2003, 02:49 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

ADOGNY: Did you miss the reference to Deviant Liquid Latex? It's a brand name, not a reference to users.

I mentioned the liquid latex on the car idea to a former co-worker of mine since he and his GF used to run a club in San Francisco. Turns out he actually knows the Deviant folks so I'll probably order some of their clear stuff to put on my GT3. I'd been wondering how I was going to get it from the dealer to my house where Alan the travelling Invinca-Shield pro will come do an install.

BTW, my friend sez don't paint this stuff on your arm wondering what it's like if you want to keep any of the hair under it
Old 10-08-2003, 10:13 AM
SICAONE
Racer

Just a question in general. Why does Porsche manufacture their cars to perform at 170+ MPH if nobody should attempt it? I am sure they can tune them for more low end power than high end if they wanted to.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:20 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Don't ask me.. Ask A.S. - he knows everything....
Old 10-08-2003, 10:23 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

PS - Should I add some STARDUST to the Liquid Latex?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SICAONE - fair question, after all the GT3RS (the cup car, as opposed to the special edition road car) runs a rear differential ratio that significantly reduces its top speed.

Autobahn bragging rights would be one motivation.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:08 PM
ammo_collector
Instructor

Big difference between going 170+ in a controlled environment and an uncontrollable one. Not to mention that when these speeds are reached on a high speed test track or somewhere like the salt flats, tires are typically x-rayed and multiple safety checks are carried out.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:48 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I am told that in Europe, a high top speed is an important consideration. "Bahn-burners" like to think that they can cruise at very high speeds. I think this was true years ago but now, the traffic on the autobahns is so dense that really high speeds are very rare. Race-cars on the other hand are designed for lowest lap times and top speed is not the main consideration. As you point out above, a Cup car has pretty low gearing compared to a street car. ON my favoite track I cannot go faster than 152 MPH on the back straight in spite of the fact that a GT2 has a much higher top speed. I could go faster with tighter gearing in fact. Still if we had autobahns here and I could cruise at 190 MPH it would be cause for some bragging rights and fewer airline tickets purchased.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:20 PM
996blue
Advanced

have to pipe in here:

as far as car choice goes....hey Porsche makes different models for different folks. They are all good. Humbly drove a used, clunky-audi-like 944 when I was fresh out of college (could not afford more) and it was the best thing driving to work every day....as is my 996cab today.

as far as high speeds go on public roads - NOT

You could do it in Germany legally where there are a few high speed runs left....but people still die......drive them often enough and you will see a tragedy. Since everyone talks about the Autobahn with wishful thinking, here's a reality check:

10 years ago near Munich I saw a 911 turbo zoom past me in the rain at high speed (probably 170 or so) - average traffic was 95-110. 5 minutes later I passed it ...in two pieces with no driver to be seen as the split was around the driver's seat.....he had hit a VW minibus with a family. Need I say more.

at that speed you had better be a race car driver or a fighter pilot with tuned reflexes. Unless you are driving at this speed constantly, you will not be able to react fast enough to a rock, deer or VW bus on the road let alone anything else.

be safe or make sure you're alone at some race track.

sorry but this thread really chapped my hide......

I can understand a 19 year old doing this in his Dad's M3 but I'm sure we're not 19 anymore. enjoy and share the road.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:51 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

I understand your comments and concers, but 170+ in the rain in traffic?? I know my high speed post, which of course was originally about the GT3 performance, has upset a few of you. However as said before, You guys do not know the road nor the conditions. You make it seem like I flew along on a crowded hwy with plenty of intersections at 170 without regard for anyone else. Others who live around here have posted the opposite about the road .. Again, not trying to justify anything to any of you nor do I really care what some of you may think of me, but understand that this road HAD NO CARS on it for 2-3 miles, NO INTERSECTIONS where others can turn into you, and water on both sides. Does that mean it is OK now to travel that fast on the road - NO.. But I was not endangering anyone else's life other than possibly my own.

Thanks for the input..
Old 10-08-2003, 03:11 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Lat night, around 6pm, I was doing 250 mph on the Santa Monica Freeway. Had to slow down as I was fast approaching a GT3 and didn't want to rear end him.

Seriously, we have all exceeded the speed limit at some point and it is obvious by our choice of cars that we enjoy speed, handling, braking etc that go beyond the average car.

With that said, speeding is a choice. As we are again reminded on the BMW board, those foolish choices usually end up hurting the innocent who did not have a choice.

Be safe.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:22 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Agreed..
Old 10-08-2003, 03:23 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

ADOGNY, I think we get a certain thrill when someone comes along and posts something like you did. And we all get a chance to fire off a barb. Consider it a right of passage for a web forum.

Of course we've all been speeding - but 170 mph is a bit much if I say so myself on a public road no matter what the conditions and I know that stretch well. Bring it to the track and really excersize the old girl - Metro PCA is having a novice day on Oct 18/19 at Pocono. Ever been passed by a 914?
Old 10-08-2003, 03:31 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

You all have the right to say whatever you want.. Doesnt mean I have to agree nor take it. And the way you said it was of course very mature and professional. I have no problem with that.. However, when someone disagree's and implies that they hope you get killed to make the streets a safer place, well then that is just uncalled for in my eyes. Comment all you want... I welcome it...

No matter what, I still feel you all are being hypocritical in one way or another as I cannot believe none of you have ever driven at excessive speeds on the highway, probably in an even more dangerous place than myself.

Cant make the Oct 18/19 event.. Yankees might be in the World Series (Hopefully) and I cannot miss that..

Quick Reply: More street GT3 nonsense..