Sponsored by:

GT3 air filter replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 09:29 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question GT3 air filter replacement...

Has anyone changed their stock filter on the GT3 with a BMC??? If so, any noticeable improvement? Finally, Is it the same size and type of filter used on the standard 996's??? Thanks...
Old 09-28-2003, 01:28 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT3 filter is different than the standard 996 filter (it's bigger). I haven't seen anyone report swapping out the OEM filter yet. There has been discussion of changing to the BMC cone style filter as used on the GT3 Cup but that presents a problem with the MAF mounting. It has also been reported that some GT3 Cup teams have switched to the street GT3 air filter housing to get cooler intake air than provided by the cone BMC filter.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:16 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Rockitman or whatever your name is,

1. The filter is the same as for the TT and GT2

2. No noticeable improvement on my 2000 GT3CS

3. Steve is right about MAF issue with the Cup cone element.

Ciao,

Johannes E.

PS. Coming from the 964 board i notice that people on the 996 & GT3 board rarely use their real names. Why?
Old 09-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no replacement filter which will improve the performance of the car. One that will flow more than the factory unit, may cause problems and/or reduce performance due to unmatched ECU settings and exhaust. If you want to use a reusable (cleanable) replacement filter, that's fine. But, do not expect it to improve upon the factory unit. I only use the factory element and replace it every year. Easy to do and no oily hands to deal with.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:44 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Viken:

It was my impression that the ECU will automatically adjust to the increased air flow when it is reset by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes...Is this not true???
Old 09-29-2003, 03:11 AM
Weng
Instructor

No mods installed yet in my '04 GT3.

Installed the BMC panel filter in my previous '00 GT3. No noticeable performance improvement and no problems with the ECU. Changed out to the BMC cup car cone filter. Tremendous induction sound improvement but discovered additional flat spots during hard acceleration. Explanation given to me was that the stock ECU could not re-map itself appropriately to cope with the additional hot air that the filter was drawing from the exposed engine bay. Invested in a Cargraphic tuning kit which included a program upgrade for the ECU to suit the cone filter. Coupled with headers and r-exhaust, the performance improvement was real, and the sound fantastic. Only problem was that the carbon fibre angle attachment used to connect the cone filter causes a bit of resonance from 2,500-3,500 rpm - solution would have been to invest in a car car deck lid with the central air intake but I sold the car instead.

I like the sound of the '04 GT3 just fine - and the stock performance is already a big step forward from the mk1 car. My advice is not to fiddle with the cup filter until someone comes up with a proper tuning kit that includes an ECU upgrade. IMHO, no real world performance/sound improvement shows up with merely a panel filter change.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:29 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Weng for the info. So you don't think that there will be an improvement in throttle response with the higher flow panel filter(BMC)???
Old 09-29-2003, 03:59 AM
Weng
Instructor

Not that I could perceive anyhow - and the e-throttle on the new car would probably make it even harder for us to tell.

I just noticed from your signature that you reside in Albany. Brings back memories as I went to school at RPI in the '80's and met my wife at SUNY Albany. Now we live half a world away ...... Boy do I miss those hot wings!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:59 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

WENG -

How do you like the GT3 compared to your 993TT? My last was a 993TT and I feel like the GT3 is faster in all areas thus far. I do miss the sound of Aircooled and the feel of when the Turbo's hit, but I believe that really only made the car "feel" faster and it actually was not. Have you noticed similar?

ROCKITMAN - Enjoy that thing... Leave it alone and get used to what a fine machine it is. I think it will take us a good year or so to really learn the car in and out and by that time, there should be some REAL upgrades to add if necessary. You will never even notice a filter change so why bother? The thing is brand new!

I went to school in Ithaca NY - Better wings there than in Albany...
Old 09-29-2003, 09:02 AM
Weng
Instructor

ADOGNY,

I loved the 993TT but I got hooked to the track and the GT3 is undoubtedly better suited to that purpose. In a straight line, the 993TT feels faster under full boost when you're fumbling for the next gear but I believe that the acceleration data shows that there's very little in it between the 2. I do enjoy the GT3 much more as it's an absolute pleasure to have 8,200rpm available and to listen to that engine howl as you go through the gears.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:11 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Agreed - my feelings as well... Still loved that car and classic design. I refused to give it up for the new TT. It was totalled in an accident unfortunately last November and I still couldnt bring myself to go for the new TT. It took the GT3 to get me back on board and accept the new body style/water cooled system. Some may think that is stupid, but the new TT just never won my heart over.

Needless to say I am in love again... If my girlfriend didnt have better curves than the GT3, I would need some serious psycho therapy.. Hehe..

Quick Reply: GT3 air filter replacement...