Sponsored by:

New 996 GT3 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:41 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Wow! Nice color! Love it and welcome.

I PM'd you re: Track Wheels. Let me know. They are Fikse FM 10's (3 piece) in 996 GT3 offset. All aluminum wheels, with standard finish. They came with my GT3, but I already have a set of track wheels, so am willing to part with these. Nice condition.

Chris
Old 10-08-2015, 07:28 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice! I don't think I've seen a Polar Silver with PCCB before. Enjoy in good health. Great to see this 3 in the Rennlist community.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:26 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Gt3

Welcome, enjoy it in Santa Barbra! My old man had a 914-6 when he went to UCSB in the early 70's! Wish I was back in CA!

Just think about what's ahead, and that your not preparing yours for winter like I will be soon!
Old 10-16-2015, 06:58 PM
SBGT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 964Q
Nice! I don't think I've seen a Polar Silver with PCCB before. Enjoy in good health. Great to see this 3 in the Rennlist community.
Thanks, glad to be here!

Just reading through old threads is costing me money...just got a 997.2 GT3 shifter on order and am battling the devil on my shoulder against the Euro GT3 seats.

Originally Posted by Gadsby
Welcome, enjoy it in Santa Barbra! My old man had a 914-6 when he went to UCSB in the early 70's! Wish I was back in CA!

Just think about what's ahead, and that your not preparing yours for winter like I will be soon!
Ah yes, funny enough one of my "justifications" for buying the car was for the flexibility of being able to drive it in the rain during winter! My previous toy was a Lotus Exige, which was great in dry weather, but was scary on R-comp tires in the rain, the headlights would fog up and the windows would leak from time to time.

Here are a couple more recent pics I took:

Old 10-17-2015, 06:49 PM
ntrylvl
Rennlist Member

Congrats! Nice car!
Old 10-18-2015, 06:00 PM
vilfredo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats. Looks new to me.

Given how you plan to use the car, I think you'll need an adequate set of seats more than anything else
Old 10-19-2015, 12:54 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

I also stepped out of an Exige into the GT3. Which are you preferring so far? I find the GT3 a lot more lively!
Old 10-19-2015, 11:25 AM
SBGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by ntrylvl
Congrats! Nice car!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by vilfredo
Congrats. Looks new to me.

Given how you plan to use the car, I think you'll need an adequate set of seats more than anything else
Thanks! I really do miss the fixed-back bucket seats that come standard in the Exiges.

Originally Posted by spiller
I also stepped out of an Exige into the GT3. Which are you preferring so far? I find the GT3 a lot more lively!
I had my first chance to play a little rougher with the car out in the mountains yesterday, and so far I'm only missing two things from the Exige: the steering feel and the seating position. I was a little surprised how light the steering in the GT3 felt, but I suppose I got spoiled with the best there is before this. It's definitely nicer to have when around town, but it was harder to tell exactly what the front tires were doing. I was more surprised about the seating position though. I'm 6'1", 32in waist and 33in inseam, and I'm having difficulty adjusting the seat and steering wheel in such a way that my knuckles aren't clipping the tops of my legs whenever I put more than 45 degrees of angle on the wheel. I didn't expect to have this issue given all of the adjustments in the Porsche. The Exige only had forward/backward slider adjustments for the seat, but it fit perfectly like a glove. Is this something that could be solved with the Euro GT3 seats?

Old 10-19-2015, 12:27 PM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SBGT3
Is this something that could be solved with the Euro GT3 seats?
I'm starting to believe that's the only answer... I'm 6'2", 34 waist, 34 inseam and would love an inch or two more leg extension. I thought the rollbar was the issue but the seat travel isn't restricted by the Tequipment bar (backrest is but not sliders). I was concerned enough that I got the shop to test the seat to see if it was broken! After that, I "forced" myself to do a 1000km road trip and that helped adapt the body to the car. Almost definitely will get a seat for track work though as I can see me sliding all around the cockpit given the performance levels of this car.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:41 PM
SBGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by mistermct
I'm starting to believe that's the only answer... I'm 6'2", 34 waist, 34 inseam and would love an inch or two more leg extension. I thought the rollbar was the issue but the seat travel isn't restricted by the Tequipment bar (backrest is but not sliders). I was concerned enough that I got the shop to test the seat to see if it was broken! After that, I "forced" myself to do a 1000km road trip and that helped adapt the body to the car. Almost definitely will get a seat for track work though as I can see me sliding all around the cockpit given the performance levels of this car.
I seem to have plenty of adjustment for leg extension which does solve my issue of steering wheel to leg clearance, but by doing so I create another issue of comfortably reaching the steering wheel. If this car also had a tilt adjustment in the steering wheel, then it would be so simple!

It seems like there are two options: 1) Euro GT3/bucket seat with BK mounts, or 2) OEM option XSU (lowered driver seat). Can anyone shed some light on this option? I can't find a part #, and have also read that it may just be a function of less seat padding from the factory.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:42 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by SBGT3
I seem to have plenty of adjustment for leg extension which does solve my issue of steering wheel to leg clearance, but by doing so I create another issue of comfortably reaching the steering wheel. If this car also had a tilt adjustment in the steering wheel, then it would be so simple!

It seems like there are two options: 1) Euro GT3/bucket seat with BK mounts, or 2) OEM option XSU (lowered driver seat). Can anyone shed some light on this option? I can't find a part #, and have also read that it may just be a function of less seat padding from the factory.
You will like the euro buckets I think. I took mine one step further and removed the seat cushion all together. It's as low as you'd get without sitting on the floor. These seats are better than the Exige Probax seats too - they're a lot deeper, more comfortable in the lumbar region and offer more lateral support, especially in the shoulder area.

As for steering feel, unfortunately with the power assistance you'll never get that weighted go kart feel of the Exige. But, the right wheel alignment makes the front end equally as sharp and accurate, actually mine has better turn in than my cup 240 ever did. I would also recommend the 996 Cup steering wheel as that absolutely transforms the steering feel in comparison to the heavy factory wheel.

I think I came across a couple of your pics on IG. Was yours the blue Exige S that briefly appeared on an episode of Top Gear USA when they were filming at Willow Springs? I remember your car from Lotus Talk if so!
Old 10-24-2015, 02:17 PM
Mikie
Intermediate

I can't get enough of these 996 gt3's. Production numbers are low and they are the car to steal in GTA IV. Yes ABS and airbags sort of spoil the vibe. But the older they get the more I like the gauges. The early electronics are becoming as classic as as an old Mac. It's like the clock in a 944 turbo. Makes me think R2D2. I got my Atlas Grey (gray) one because it could not be photographed correctly and everyone else thought it was a dirty black. Keeping looking for the right "blue" day. In the garage mine is blue. I think it needs fluorescent. The grey/gray is to avoid heel/heal criticism
Old 10-26-2015, 03:56 PM
SBGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by spiller
You will like the euro buckets I think. I took mine one step further and removed the seat cushion all together. It's as low as you'd get without sitting on the floor. These seats are better than the Exige Probax seats too - they're a lot deeper, more comfortable in the lumbar region and offer more lateral support, especially in the shoulder area.

As for steering feel, unfortunately with the power assistance you'll never get that weighted go kart feel of the Exige. But, the right wheel alignment makes the front end equally as sharp and accurate, actually mine has better turn in than my cup 240 ever did. I would also recommend the 996 Cup steering wheel as that absolutely transforms the steering feel in comparison to the heavy factory wheel.

I think I came across a couple of your pics on IG. Was yours the blue Exige S that briefly appeared on an episode of Top Gear USA when they were filming at Willow Springs? I remember your car from Lotus Talk if so!
I really appreciate the input. Looks like I'll be browsing around the classifieds waiting for a nice set of the Euro buckets to pop up locally.

Oh, and yes, that was indeed my old Exige.

Originally Posted by Mikie
I can't get enough of these 996 gt3's. Production numbers are low and they are the car to steal in GTA IV. Yes ABS and airbags sort of spoil the vibe. But the older they get the more I like the gauges. The early electronics are becoming as classic as as an old Mac. It's like the clock in a 944 turbo. Makes me think R2D2. I got my Atlas Grey (gray) one because it could not be photographed correctly and everyone else thought it was a dirty black. Keeping looking for the right "blue" day. In the garage mine is blue. I think it needs fluorescent. The grey/gray is to avoid heel/heal criticism
Congrats on the purchase! Atlas is a great color.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:57 PM
marcus1249
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

My shop has 2 sets of the gt3. Euro seats he's selling on consignment that I'm sure he would ship, pm me if you are interested
Old 10-27-2015, 03:02 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

GT3 buckets make all the difference... If you can find the rare cloth version, even better. As Spiller said, alignment is key... Steering feel is superior when set up correctly, even better than my 73 RS/E ever was. When I'm free wheeling on a tight bend under power, I can feel the inside wheel bobbing a little, which confirms the car is hooked up. I love this Car!!!!

Quick Reply: New 996 GT3 Owner