Sponsored by:

New 996 GT3 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 05:08 PM
SBGT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
GT3 buckets make all the difference... If you can find the rare cloth version, even better. As Spiller said, alignment is key... Steering feel is superior when set up correctly, even better than my 73 RS/E ever was. When I'm free wheeling on a tight bend under power, I can feel the inside wheel bobbing a little, which confirms the car is hooked up. I love this Car!!!!
I'm sure the topic has been beaten to death, but if anyone has a link to proper alignment specs feel free to post the link here

The car is currently on PS2s and will see 3-5k miles per year of street driving (approx. 50% spirited). The car will also likely see 5 or so track days per year (and a swap to AD08R or similar), but I'm usually the guy giving point-bys and would probably only utilize 50-75% of the car's potential. If there is a single alignment that would fit my needs, then that would be ideal.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:28 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome.

1) Euro buckets are worth it. You can always resell them for what you've paid when the time comes
2) Taller guys seem to have issues with the reach to the steering wheel, which can be resolved by installing a spacer to bring the wheel back
3) Search 'Kussmaul' for good starting alignment numbers
Old 10-28-2015, 04:25 AM
GrantH
Rennlist Member

I used to do a double-take whenever I saw that car parked on the street when I was going to school at Cal Poly. Pretty incredible to see it on here now! Enjoy.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:11 AM
LIS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SBGT3
It seems like there are two options: 1) Euro GT3/bucket seat with BK mounts, or 2) OEM option XSU (lowered driver seat). Can anyone shed some light on this option? I can't find a part #, and have also read that it may just be a function of less seat padding from the factory.
I'm not a fan of the GT3 euro seats myself. I had a set, and was not able to get comfortable in them on track (too wide). Wound up installing a set of Kirkey intermediate seats instead, and they are MUCH more comfortable (for me anyway). I'm 6'3", 35" waist, 34" inseam.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:28 AM
SBGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by FFaust
Welcome.

1) Euro buckets are worth it. You can always resell them for what you've paid when the time comes
2) Taller guys seem to have issues with the reach to the steering wheel, which can be resolved by installing a spacer to bring the wheel back
3) Search 'Kussmaul' for good starting alignment numbers
Thank you for the tips - just what I was looking for!

Originally Posted by GrantH
I used to do a double-take whenever I saw that car parked on the street when I was going to school at Cal Poly. Pretty incredible to see it on here now! Enjoy.
Thank you, sir! Cal Poly grad here also

Originally Posted by LIS
I'm not a fan of the GT3 euro seats myself. I had a set, and was not able to get comfortable in them on track (too wide). Wound up installing a set of Kirkey intermediate seats instead, and they are MUCH more comfortable (for me anyway). I'm 6'3", 35" waist, 34" inseam.
I see a 996 GT3 every once in a while at the local C&C that has the Euro seats among other mods. Probably not a bad idea to give them a try before spending that much money. Love the color of your car by the way!
Old 11-12-2015, 04:29 PM
SBGT3
Instructor

Update:

Rather than purchase Euro seats before getting some seat time in them, I came across an interesting solution and decided to give it a try since it was a much cheaper alternative: the OEM Euro center console delete. Basically, it removes the CD holders and cubby space in front of the shifter and allows much more freedom of movement for your right leg. After getting more seat time in the car, I've found that this solution adds the perfect amount of additional clearance that I was looking for (and also why I think my old Exige fit so well). Two thumbs up for this mod for taller drivers
Old 11-13-2015, 11:39 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Console delete is one of the best mods you can do to the 6-3. Opens up the cabin and makes it feel more "old school" which I really appreciate.

As to the seats...I am 6'2, weigh 205 Lbs, and have a 33-34" waist ( depending on the day :-) and find the Euro seats perfect for me. I have the cloth version, so not sure if that makes any difference. They are wonderful seats!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I am a real fan of the cloth euro buckets, but I ended up with the Recaro Profi XL, and a Profi spa (TIGHT!), the spa however sits in my office where my son has claimed it as his chair!

Here is a pic of the mod to remove the lower console, it's nice. I like the open feel so I just left off the center console when I installed the cup shifter and cables, and added the cup grip.

Long winter of tinkering ahead!

Old 11-13-2015, 03:04 PM
Newportcgt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats car looks awesome ......
Old 11-13-2015, 03:22 PM
SBGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by christallon
Console delete is one of the best mods you can do to the 6-3. Opens up the cabin and makes it feel more "old school" which I really appreciate.

As to the seats...I am 6'2, weigh 205 Lbs, and have a 33-34" waist ( depending on the day :-) and find the Euro seats perfect for me. I have the cloth version, so not sure if that makes any difference. They are wonderful seats!
Agreed - the straight dash is a refreshing throwback to the "antiques." It sounds like I'll fit perfectly in the Euro seats

Originally Posted by Gadsby
I am a real fan of the cloth euro buckets, but I ended up with the Recaro Profi XL, and a Profi spa (TIGHT!), the spa however sits in my office where my son has claimed it as his chair!

Here is a pic of the mod to remove the lower console, it's nice. I like the open feel so I just left off the center console when I installed the cup shifter and cables, and added the cup grip.

Long winter of tinkering ahead!

Seeing the mechanical linkage in all its glory is always fun

Originally Posted by Newportcgt
Congrats car looks awesome ......
Thank you, sir! Saw pics of your GT3 and GT2 at BBi...what a dream combo
Old 06-19-2016, 06:24 PM
dshslo
AutoX

Default SBGT3

I owned your car from 2010 until a year ago when I sold it to Kevin. I too had an Exige S prior to buying the GT3. I had tried to buy a GT4 but unwilling to paying the markup so I been enjoying a 2011 Spyder.

Hope to see you and the car at a future event.

Doug
Old 06-20-2016, 04:33 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

This is very cool - keeping GT3s "in the RL family" and on the road (and track)

fwiw, I have resisted the Euro/ Recaro race seat upgrade for the simple reasons that I like the sport seats and the ability to get stuff out of the back, once I work it around and past the cage. To each their own I guess.

I have Recaros in the C2 and they are wonderful. ***** at FVD had a set gathering dust that were a perfect match for the interior so a deal was done. They fit me perfectly and fold forward to put stuff back there. I'd go that route again if it weren't for the fact the werewife would seriously hurt me if I spent that kind of $$ while she is doing a long-overdue house renovation.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:44 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Ha, I just bought a 2011 Spyder too. What a machine!!! Maybe the most incredible drivers car I've ever driven.

Originally Posted by dshslo
I owned your car from 2010 until a year ago when I sold it to Kevin. I too had an Exige S prior to buying the GT3. I had tried to buy a GT4 but unwilling to paying the markup so I been enjoying a 2011 Spyder.

Doug
Old 06-21-2016, 03:15 PM
dshslo
AutoX

Agreed, I am amazed at the agility of the car, crisp shifting and sweet sound of the sport exhaust above 5k rpm. I live at the southern end of Big Sur and have enjoyed a couple of very fun runs up Hwy 1 then over the Naci-Ferguson Rd. Only issue was the amount of squirrel juice I had to scrub off the side of the car that evening.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:32 PM
SBGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by dshslo

Doug
Doug, good to hear from you and I'm glad you're enjoying the replacement! I have been thoroughly enjoying your old car on both the track and in the mountains. It's definitely my favorite car that I've owned to date.

Here is some video footage of my last outing at Buttonwillow:

Quick Reply: New 996 GT3 Owner