GT2 Vs GT3 Vs 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 01:32 AM
racer63
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: M5

Originally posted by mweels
Well you must be looking forward to the new M5 then!

MWEELS
I do like all things fast. But I am not a fan of the new Bangle designs. Even with a V10 coming, I'm just not sure I could drive a BangleMW.

Honestly, I think my next race car (for the Fall 2004-Spring 2005 season) will be a GT3 or 911 Cup Car. I've had a love affair with 911 since I discovered sportscars. Back when I was 10, I actually used to pretend like my bed was a 911 and I was a traveling 911 salesman. I even convinced my sister to pretend that she was driving a 914 in the other bed. Strange but true... This after my dad brought home brochures for the 1972 911 and 914. Of course, when he bought that damn Celica instead, I was really disappointed... On the other hand, given what I did in the Celica when I turned 16, maybe it was a good thing after all! It would have been ashamed to tear up a perfectly good 911, but no great loss to trash the 72 Celica.

Beyond the GT3/Cup Car, if business continues to expand, I'd love to own a 962 and drive it in POC and HSR events.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:51 AM
bgainey

Now your talking! One of the coolest things I have ever seen was when I was at Mid-Ohio a couple years back. This huge motorhome pulling a great big trailer pulls in and out comes a 962. This guy obviously was loaded and he would just take his 962 to DE events for fun!

Now that is AWESOME!

Some day maybe!

Old 09-11-2003, 09:59 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Default Stage 5?

Bgainey:

I would have thought you would have gone after a stage 4GT rather than the 5 for the greater area under the curve, especially early low end torque. I haven't studied the dyno graphs but am I correct?

Tim
Old 09-12-2003, 03:45 AM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by bgainey
Now your talking! One of the coolest things I have ever seen was when I was at Mid-Ohio a couple years back. This huge motorhome pulling a great big trailer pulls in and out comes a 962. This guy obviously was loaded and he would just take his 962 to DE events for fun!

Now that is AWESOME!

Some day maybe!

What color was the 962? I'm fairly certain I know the guy. If it is who I think it is, you saw a very special 962...

Greg A
Old 09-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Here's a 962 story for you.............

A few years ago I was running my 993 C4S in a DE over Labor Day at Road America. The same weekend, PCA had scheduled a club race. Many of the club racers, particularly those that don't get the chance to run at RA, entered their race cars in the DE event as well. This was a recipes for disaster!

I cleanly exited turn 3 with a head of steam and stormed down the straight and down the hill to turn 5. This is a "high pucker factor" 90 degree left that requires you to slow from 135 to about 55 to make the turn. While running down the straight I checked my mirrors and saw nothing all the way back to turn 3. In the time it took me to get set-up for the braking, downshift and turn-in for 5, the Miller Brewing 962 appears from out of nowhere and is attempting to pass me at the 2 marker while my ABS madly tries to slow my car. There's nothing I could do but take a wide line and let him by. Before I could vent all the expletives I could think of, he had rocketed up the next hill, under the bridge, made turn 6 and was never seen the rest of the session.

I still don't know where he came from. It was if he dropped out of the sky in the short time between the time I checked my mirrors and the time I was ready to turn in. This was the last time I ran a DE with full race cars in the same run class. Too bad I didn't have my video running at the time.

Cheers,
Old 09-12-2003, 06:07 PM
racer63
Racer

Originally posted by Fred R. C4S
Here's a 962 story for you.............
Very cool story! Thanks for posting.

Reminds me of one of my first racing experiences. I had just gotten my license and had somehow won a test day at Willow Springs. I was one of the only cars out there in a (at that time) poorly prepared Spec RX7. As I headed down the front straight, I checked my mirrors and all was well. But, when I got to turn 1, just about the time I'm ready to turn in, here comes John Morton in a GTS 993 Turbo - blowing right by me into the corner and away he goes, never to be seen again that session.

The only expletives I could come up with were ones of enthusiasm and "whoaaa... that's f'in fast, cool, etc." as I plodded along at my novice pace in my POS vehicle.

P.S. Ultimately, that POS was turned into a championship winning car in a pretty competitive series with 20+ cars per race. Of course, then it was totaled by a rookie who spun in front of the field and took out the front runners, replaced by another fast car, which was sold, then replaced by a faster car, which was sold... and many $ and years later... we're still spending money at a considerible clip. But I digress.

Quick Reply: GT2 Vs GT3 Vs 996TT